PDA

View Full Version : First show for 4yrs old Baby

Stall_Luetkemeier
Jun. 1, 2010, 07:54 AM
Last weekend, my 4yrs old "Baby" (he is 1,76 m high! :lol: ) had his first show. As he is so huge, the jumps look quite tiny. He behaved so well, I'm really in love!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oKQrPtKQfg

Isn't he a cute huge Baby? ;)

How do the shows look like in the US for the green ones? I have the feeling it's already quite hard for the young ones in Germany - they have to do a complete course with straight and bended lines and a double also. Thank God my "Bommel" is brave like hell!

meupatdoes
Jun. 1, 2010, 08:29 AM
A lot of people in the US are going to think that is way too much for a 4yo to be doing, especially amateurs (who spend a lot of the money).

I think it is a very cute horse who did an excellent job and I make no judgments for or against, but if you intend to use that video to try to sell the horse stateside it could actually count against you.

To the MAX
Jun. 1, 2010, 08:37 AM
He looks great! :D The only way I could tell he was a baby was the little baby wiggle going across the diagonal in the beginning. Beautiful horse.

Stall_Luetkemeier
Jun. 1, 2010, 09:01 AM
We only take the young ones to a few shows in summer and we don't work them every day at home. If they seem to be unsure or uncomfortable, they have all the time they need - they don't have to compete if they need more time.

"Bommel" seems to learn everything very easy and has such a good balance that he can do a small course without feeling bad, I think. And no, I definitely don't want to sell him - he is very special to me and will stay! ;)

LowerSaxony_Jumper
Jun. 1, 2010, 09:17 AM
Isn't it quite interesting in the diffrence while we do the same thing? ;-)
In Germany doing a class like in the video is total normal and a standart.

The young bud did a nice round, was relaxed, didn't spook and jumped nice. I am jealous! My mare is four years and I don't think we will do a show this year! to many breaks and not enough power on her side at the moment!
Good luck and have fun with your buddy!

DMK
Jun. 1, 2010, 09:40 AM
LOL, I don't think it would be too much of a detriment to selling a horse since we spend a LOT of time and money importing horses from Europe, and you know, that system is more the standard than not for the sale horses (the ones we buy). I also think most of the people who do the buying and selling are not the ones thinking it is too much for a 4 year old. There's a vocal minority who believes otherwise, of course. But vocal minorities are often confused with mainstream practices due to their vocal nature and all that. ;)

I loved the baby talk in the ring and the wiggle - youngsters are so much fun that way, and he really does have such lovely balance to the fences, he must be a blast to ride.

In this country the people seriously pursuing the jumper track would be doing the young jumpers series, starting with the 4 year old classes which are around 3'3 if I recall correctly (sorry, blanking on what this is in meters). People serious about the hunters would probably be pointing their horse to the pre-greens @ 3'0. And then everyone who is smart enough to know their horse might not be as balanced and and mature as the class might require has lower heights available or just keeps them home until they are ready.

Hattie
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:37 PM
Ditto DMK - I laughed when I heard him whinnying, but he went right around and did his job!

Stall-Luetkemeier - you have a right to be proud of your youngster, especially going around in the rain! I was wondering what the background noise was until I saw the water dripping off the roof.

Ozone
Jun. 1, 2010, 02:34 PM
He is quite accomplished for his age. Very balanced over the fences etc. The only thing I do not like about his overall picture is his head is overly cranked into his chest for my liking. I would rather see hands up and a bit forward to the fence instead of back and down. I would rather see him pick his head up a bit and stretch out his neck to the fence. This is just what I perfer. He is a lovely horse!