PDA

View Full Version : What do you all think of these two OTTBS?

EquineLVR
May. 31, 2010, 11:36 PM
I really like both these boys..

Wondering what everyone else thinks

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2204:nickel-beer&catid=50:delaware-park-trainer-listings&directory=283

http://fltrainerlist.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1261

Thoughts?

Ok I like one more - so its really three..

http://fltrainerlist.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1248

EqTrainer
May. 31, 2010, 11:42 PM
Door number three.

mALTed
May. 31, 2010, 11:44 PM
Drooling over number three!

irideponyhunters
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:05 AM
the first looks alittle light on the back end..
I LOVE THE THIRD! hes absolutly GORGEOUS! and with just alittle more weight would make him even better! i'd defininitly go with the third!

mckenna310
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:43 AM
they are all really cute!

fourmares
Jun. 1, 2010, 02:05 AM
I don't like the thrid horse at all. Don't like his neck and fat throatlatch or the way his haunch ties in to his back.

I kind of like the second horse, and I think that the first horse is my favorite, but he is a similar type as my new mare.

NE_Rider
Jun. 1, 2010, 09:05 AM
Door number three.

Drooling over number three!

Ditto. :yes:

jn4jenny
Jun. 1, 2010, 09:20 AM
If humanly possible, I'd either get out there and look at them in person or send someone to take better pictures. Bachelor Number Three had the advantage of some very nice pictures taken squarely from the side. But if you examine Bachelor Number Two's pictures and imagine him standing squarely, he's got a lovely shoulder angle and a nicer butt than the pictures make it appear. For me it would come down to which horse I "clicked with" when I met them.

Jleegriffith
Jun. 1, 2010, 09:24 AM
I actually like horse #1 the best especially if he wasn't standing on the side of a hill for his pics. I didn't take the pictures but I would guess stood square he would be more even. He appears to have good angles. His trainer is someone I would trust to tell nothing but the truth. I have had good experiences working with them in the past.

EquineLVR
Jun. 1, 2010, 09:28 AM
I actually like horse #1 the best especially if he wasn't standing on the side of a hill for his pics. I didn't take the pictures but I would guess stood square he would be more even. He appears to have good angles. His trainer is someone I would trust to tell nothing but the truth. I have had good experiences working with them in the past.

I agree he is not standing well - I see potential in him and he is only three - so lots of growing and filling out to do.

So its between door #1 and door #3... If you all were shopping via internet - I live in Co so cant go see them - who would you take?

Thanks for all the help!

Vesper Sparrow
Jun. 1, 2010, 10:07 AM
Number #1 is my sentimental favorite. Something about his eye--soft but very intelligent--he reminds me a bit of my gelding.

jn4jenny
Jun. 1, 2010, 10:10 AM
If it were my money, I'd disqualify #1 on the grounds that he's a cribber (which may not be a problem for you, but Lord help you if he doesn't suit your needs and you have to sell him as a cribber with minimal training/minimal show record. Not an easy resell).

Then I'd choose between #2 and #3, which are radically different horses in terms of height and presence. Pick the one that speaks to you and do a PPE.

FWIW, I think #3 looks like an unpleasant saddle fitting adventure unless you already own something that will fit him. #2 looks like a fairly straightforward saddle fit.

danceronice
Jun. 1, 2010, 10:20 AM
I like #2. #3, though his throatlatch is, odd. #1 is just too skinny-looking for me.

Really, they're all nice.

Jleegriffith
Jun. 1, 2010, 10:22 AM
Next time we are at the track I will try to take some more pics of Nickel Beer. Delaware park doesn't have a lot of flat ground unless you want to stand in the road so picture taking is challenging. It's nice for the horses with lots of yummy grass to graze while cooling out but flat surfaces would make it much easier for us!

RockinHorse
Jun. 1, 2010, 10:28 AM
I like #2. #3, though his throatlatch is, odd. #1 is just too skinny-looking for me.

Really, they're all nice.

I agree about the throatlatch on #3. Is it possible he had tie back surgery?

NE_Rider
Jun. 1, 2010, 10:50 AM
His trainer is someone I would trust to tell nothing but the truth. I have had good experiences working with them in the past.

This is extremely important, especially because you are buying a horse from across the country!!!

I agree he is not standing well - I see potential in him and he is only three - so lots of growing and filling out to do.

So its between door #1 and door #3... If you all were shopping via internet - I live in Co so cant go see them - who would you take?

Thanks for all the help!
Is the horse to be used as a hunter or a jumper?

I think #3 may be more of a training challenge, just the impression I get, but I think he is quite an athlete. #2 looks to be easier going, possibly quieter type that would do well in hunters. I'd still take #3 :).

dauntless
Jun. 1, 2010, 11:14 AM
I don't like the look of number #2 - that giraffey neck (which I'm sure would fill out quite nicely) and I think he's too fine boned for my tastes. I really don't know that much about conformation, but does it seem like his pasterns are quite long? Or is it just my eye?

Number 3 grabs me - I think he's very handsome and I like his face. He seems like he'd have a fun personality. But I definitely agree that there is something weird about his throat latch.

I really enjoy these threads because they help me learn about conformation!

EquineLVR
Jun. 1, 2010, 11:16 AM
I don't like the look of number #2 - that giraffey neck (which I'm sure would fill out quite nicely) and I think he's too fine boned for my tastes. I really don't know that much about conformation, but does it seem like his pasterns are quite long? Or is it just my eye?

Number 3 grabs me - I think he's very handsome and I like his face. He seems like he'd have a fun personality. But I definitely agree that there is something weird about his throat latch.

I really enjoy these threads because they help me learn about conformation!

I think what everyone does not like about his throatlatch is that he was just gelded - so he has a more studdy looking neck and throatlatch.

NE_Rider
Jun. 1, 2010, 11:20 AM
I think what everyone does not like about his throatlatch is that he was just gelded - so he has a more studdy looking neck and throatlatch.

I am not surprised!!! I was going to say he has a stallion's head, nice big cheek. Still like him a lot!!! :)

EquineLVR
Jun. 1, 2010, 11:20 AM
Ok just to complicate things - here is one other I like too - I am looking for more of a jumper than a hunter..

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2212:matchrun&catid=58:pa-trainer-listings&directory=279

jn4jenny
Jun. 1, 2010, 11:42 AM
Wait a sec. You're in Aurora, CO? Is there a reason you're not buying locally at Arapahoe Park?

EquineLVR
Jun. 1, 2010, 11:58 AM
Wait a sec. You're in Aurora, CO? Is there a reason you're not buying locally at Arapahoe Park?

I have been down there a few times - just have not seen anything that grabs me.

CoolMeadows
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:05 PM
2 and 4.

I think number 2 is way fancier than his pictures show. Both sides, he's angled his butt away from the camera a bit so you don't get an honest representation of his gaskin and hind end. Put a leather halter on him, stand him up straight, arch his neck a bit and you have a very nice horse.

danceronice
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:08 PM
I'm still leaning towards #2, but #4 is a looker. Looks shorter backed, which I do like.

MrWinston
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:24 PM
Overall I think this one is the best balanced and best conformed. His croup drops off a bit but he also looks like a good mover. His legs look really good for OTT. Good luck!

EquineLVR
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:30 PM
Overall I think this one is the best balanced and best conformed. His croup drops off a bit but he also looks like a good mover. His legs look really good for OTT. Good luck!

Called on #4 - HE IS COMING HOME WITH ME!! WHOOO HOOOOO!!

leilatigress
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:50 PM
Grats on #4 and I would have gone with him as well. #3 appeals to me A LOT course I like the thicker necked and I actually thought he looked more like a QH with that neck than a TB.

see u at x
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:56 PM
Congratulations! :) If I hadn't just bought a horse and had the money to throw down on a 3rd one in addition to paying board, I'd take #1 home in a second. He's only 3 and could have a lot of potential. Also don't care that he's a cribber and I think the name Nickel Beer is hilarious.

barnbum81
Jun. 1, 2010, 01:14 PM
Haunter then Nickle Beer but looks like you already found the one! :)

farmgirl88
Jun. 1, 2010, 01:24 PM
Out of the three you posted, i like the #2 horse. He's the most balanced out of them, has the cleanest neck/throatlatch out of any of them. hes got nice feet, and legs. I dont like the overall look of the first horse, not enough bone there. the 3rd horsei s nice, he's a hunk to look at but i dont like his pasterns, his neck, his hind end. he's just not balanced.

If i were to choose though, i would go for THIS gelding. He's been off the track and hanging out since racing ended last november. He is gorgeous to look at, he has great feet, and his legs look very nice and clean also. He's well balanced and has gorgeous features...and for 1,500 how could you go wrong? overall a nice example right here

http://fltrainerlist.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1255

FatDinah
Jun. 1, 2010, 01:27 PM
As far as passing on No. 1 for slight cribbing, I would not worry if it is just at feed time.
Lots of horses exhibit behavior at the track that disappear when at a home with less commotion and fewer horses and more turnout.
if he is last on the feed line, no wonder he gets antsy.

I think No. 1 is nice looking and does have that sweet expression.

rabicon
Jun. 1, 2010, 01:31 PM
I like 4 and the one farmgirl posted. 3 is cute also but I'd go with farmgirls and then 4 and then 3.:yes:

Bogie
Jun. 1, 2010, 01:35 PM
For $500 I'd snap up bachelor #1. Mild cribbing doesn't bother me one bit and he's going to fill out and grow some more.

#3 looks like a real athlete.

#4 is cute and I also like the other gray.

But, for the $$ I think #1 is a winner ;).

Equine Adhesive
Jun. 1, 2010, 02:49 PM
Live Action & Nickel Beer

then the grey in PA that you ended up getting

then then the FL bay

the chestnut last.
_
The chestnut is super cute but does not look very balanced and I don't like his head & neck as much as the others - although I do like him.

Finger Lakes bay @ $2200 is a bit pricey relative to what else you can get right now.

The grey in PA is super cute, congrats!

Live Action, though, he looks very sturdy and fancy, I like him a bit more. I like Nickel Beer because he is so cute and he looks very willing. He will fill out - looks like a great event prospect. Those 2 would be my top picks if I was looking, although I would inquire about the cribbing on NB, and LA would be my top pick.