PDA

View Full Version : How was your first jump?

grandprix
May. 31, 2010, 09:01 PM
Soo I jumped for the second time yesterday (the first time was 5 weeks ago. I couldn't take lessons because my schedule was very busy)! I jumped over crossrails, then a one foot vertical. I didn't do the best though, I was what you call "behind" in the jump, I think? So when the horse landed, I kind of swung forward in the saddle onto the horses neck. I was a bit disappointed, but then I realized that is how I felt when I first learned how to trot, and now I'm great at that. So I'm going to have to practice alot more!

I was just wondering, but how was your first jumps? Did you make any mistakes? How long did it take you to jump fine? Just want to know about other riders and how they did it! :)
Also, if you have any suggestions for me, I'd love to hear about them!

Artemis
May. 31, 2010, 09:31 PM
Well the first time I jumped was over some cavaletti and they were about 6 inches off the ground. They horse didn't really jump he just picked up his feet more so I don't actually consider that my first time.
I rode at a kinda crazy place when I was learning to ride because the second time I jumped, which was about 6 months later I literally did a course of 2'6" jumps. Then I was a kid and fearless, and I think I did a pretty decent job staying with the horse. I know I didn't jab him in the mouth nor did I fall off. Looking back I do realize that was a mistake but that it was not my fault at all. My trainer should have know better, but some places just aren't great lol
anyway, that was my first time jumping :)

SillyHorse
May. 31, 2010, 09:43 PM
My first jump was unintentional; I was 11, riding bareback, and horse decided to go over a 4-foot snow fence. I went sailing, of course. :lol: After it was determined that I was ok, I said loud and clear, "I want to do it again!"

make x it x so
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:54 AM
I don't remember, but I'm sure it wasn't very pretty! I'd say within a few lessons, I probably wasn't feeling absolutely helpless, but it takes a while to develop a real feel for it (as well as just the muscles necessary to support yourself).

Taking lessons more than once a week, if possible, might help. Or even just riding on the flat one or two extra days in the week will get your leg stronger so you don't get tossed out of the tack.

Don't get discouraged, eventually you'll get it!

Across Sicily
Jun. 1, 2010, 01:09 AM
My first jump was TERRIBLE. I totally didn't "get" how to go into two point and successfully get myself over a jump, so I kind of just stood up in the stirrups and hoped for the best! LOL. My trainer was practically apopletic. It was hilarious and I was horribly embarrassed.

fourmares
Jun. 1, 2010, 02:48 AM
I fell off.... we were supposed to trot a tiny crossrail... seriously, it was about 4" tall. Ends of the poles on the feet of the standards. The school horse I was on trotted up and JUMPED the snot out of it. My trainer said he jumped about four feet, but that's probably an exageration!

Big_Grey_hunter
Jun. 1, 2010, 06:24 AM
The first time I 'jumped' was on a dead broke lesson pony. The crosspole was at least 6 feet hight (errrr.... maybe that was inches). I'm sure the pony did her usual barely pick up her feet while calmly cantering away, but I swear to god it felt like she stood straight up on her hind legs to get over that thing! It felt HUGE!

So yes, you will get better. Everyone mskes mistakes to start (everyone STILL makes mitakes, noone is perfect!)

redears
Jun. 1, 2010, 06:32 AM
My first jump was magical :) I had been practicing going over trot poles in two point with my hands way up the horses' manes for months. One day I was riding this really owly school horse that nobody really liked to ride, because he didn't really like to go forward and would kick the wall and they would get nervous. I thought his wall-kicking was hilarious and didn't mind riding him at all. All the other schoolies were fat little ponies, and he was a 17hh tall TB, so I felt uber cool riding him.

Anyway, one day my trainer takes the cavaletti and stacks them into a 18" jump, and said just trot over it like its the poles. So I do, and horse did a snort snort leap and then cantered around with his nose down, and I was in too much of a rush to let go of the mane and just cantered around on his neck giggling, I did this three times until trainer said I could LET GO of the mane after the fence.

They gave him away to a trail riding home a few months after that lesson, he wasn't happy being a schoolie anymore, but I will never forget him and my first jumping lesson :)

Artemis
Jun. 1, 2010, 08:56 AM
That said I'd been riding on the flat for years and years before ever even glancing at a crossrail, so I think my base was probably much more stable than your average learning-to-jump-er.

same here! I had been riding for about 3 years. I only rose twice a week during the school year, but over the summer I rode everyday. So I had a very solid base before I jumped. Granted my first jump was 2'6" so that's a bit different but yeah lol

rwh
Jun. 1, 2010, 09:43 AM
I don't remember my first on-purpose jump, but my first jump ever was during a thunder storm when I was an eight-year-old once-a-weeker. My horse (a real horse---not a pony) spooked at the thunder in a very busy indoor. Everyone else was told to halt while I regained control. I was sitting up trying to stay on while horsie was steering himself and went right for a big jump (in my mind it was well over three feet, but in reality it was probrably more like two). When it became clear I couldn't steer him away from it one of the trainers screamed "TWO-POINT!" from across the arena and up and over I went. Landed on the other side and cantered away : ) Several strides later I got the horse back to me and got to hear from all the moms on the rail how amazed they were that I stayed on : )

RougeEmpire
Jun. 1, 2010, 10:07 AM
My first jump was a set of Cavaletti, I was four years old.

sptraining
Jun. 1, 2010, 10:14 AM
I got thrown into a lesson with another more experienced girl and the trainer didn't know that I hadn't jumped at all. ever. So my first experience with jumping was on the "circle of death" at about 2'. I can't remember how well it went, but I can't imagine it went that poorly because he kept letting me jump it.

jump4me
Jun. 1, 2010, 02:04 PM
Mine wasn't particularly memorable... for your first couple of jumps, you just followed someone else over a fair sized cross rail. I was only taking lessons once a week, but by my (I think) 3rd week of jumping I was doing stuff like the 2' roll top and gates and stuff, so I guess I caught on quickly.

LizzieAnn
Jun. 1, 2010, 06:18 PM
It was pretty long ago--!! I had been flatting for 6 years, yes, I know a LONG time, so my base was alot more solid then others but I liked it. I was on a grey little devil pony mare and we went over a cross-rail- I remember thinking 'Did I really just do THAT big jump??' HAHA. But two years down the road now I'm jumping a greenie 3' pretty well. It will get better trust me!!

fascination
Jun. 1, 2010, 06:29 PM
Oh dear. My first jump... Well I had been flatting on a STOPPER (but nobody told me this) and little miss trainer said "ok, now go across the diagonal"... the only way across that disgustingly crowded ring was over a big, scary (HAH) cross rail. I knew not to question miss trainer and hopped right over that cross rail in a two point. After that, miss trainer made me do it 204823 more times, hiking the jump up (! scary!).

Flash forward three months, I was on course at a schooling show on this horse and for the first. time. ever. he stopped with me... After that, we stopped at every fence. Turns out the horse had a horrible knee problem, I was the last person to ever jump him :sadsmile:. What a good boy he was.

That was like, wow, ten years ago? Maybe a little less. It does get better! No matter what you do, sink into those heels, hop into the good 'ole two point, and grab a hunk of mane.

Gray Horse H/J
Jun. 1, 2010, 06:43 PM
This is a long time ago, so I'm gonna try and really remember details!

I took lessons for a solid year before I started jumping. The barn I rode at had it's flaws, but the instructors at the time were pretty good about making sure riders actually had solid basics before learning to jump. Meaning we had to be able to walk, trot, canter, sit the trot, two-point at all three gaits, ride without stirrups, steer (always an important one :D), trot over trot poles, etc.

I was 11 (1995) when I trotted my first crossrail on my favorite school horse. I don't remember a lot of the specifics. The horse was a totally seasoned old guy, so there were no worries about stopping, running out, over-jumping, or anything like that. I know I progressed from jumping a single crossrail to jumping lines and small courses fairly quickly, although I couldn't give you the actual time frame.

When that instructor left the barn shortly after, I got moved to another trainer's lesson program. She assumed I had more skill than I actually did :lol: while watching me warm up and trot some fences, so she raised the jumps a bit and had me throw some rollbacks in my course. I had never done more than outside-angle-outside-angle but didn't tell her that, and just went at it. I think I may have scared the woman. I totally fell apart once I was required to do more than jump in a straight line. She then realized I needed some work and we spent many many lessons learning to steer to jumps that were not lined up straight with each other.

So...nothing terrible exciting. Our school horses back then were pretty bombproof, and the instructors started all the newbie jump lessons over reaaaaallllyyy tiny stuff.

Gray Horse H/J
Jun. 1, 2010, 06:45 PM
and grab a hunk of mane.

The mane can truly be your best friend sometimes.

grandprix
Jun. 1, 2010, 07:12 PM
Wow these are interesting stories :)

relocatedTXjumpr
Jun. 1, 2010, 07:19 PM
So, this was my first jump, lol...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30262395&l=c2b2345513&id=1380057005

Dakotawyatt
Jun. 1, 2010, 07:40 PM
So, this was my first jump, lol...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30262395&l=c2b2345513&id=1380057005

Holy Cow, you're so tiny! I don't think I was EVER that small, lol:winkgrin:

blackcat95
Jun. 1, 2010, 08:04 PM
I don't really remember my first jump, even though I think it was only 4 years ago... I think it was a cavaletti??

my_doran
Jun. 2, 2010, 05:23 AM
i embarrasingly say i fell off my first time..i think it was a combo of not enough 2 point work in my flatwork and my nerves that got that fall,but thats all in the past now.i just practiced more 2 point at all gaits and really concentrated on my upper body control..then moved on to doing it over ground poles and then gradually putting jumps up and once i wasn't fallng leaning onto my horses neck on landing like you described then i gradually moved height to the jumps etc.
i evenually had enough skills and body control to jump 3 feet bareback in halter..so with practice and good rides.im sure it will become better for you in your jumping..good luck in your jumping lessons:cool: