PDA

View Full Version : Any problem with having a fleece girth cover in the 'A' divisions?

flyracing
May. 30, 2010, 10:42 PM
So, I have a super skin sensitive bay horse that is much happier in girth cover (more so than the fleece/neoprene girth and the leather/sheepskin girth I've tried). Would there be a problem with using a brown, new, trimmed to fit right under the flaps, fleece cover in the A/Os? I'm working on a better long term solution that doesn't hinder performane, since after all that is the priority over fashion ;). But was thinking this might be a good short term solution for our next show. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!!

neigh.neigh
May. 31, 2010, 07:58 AM
Some people don't like them but especially since yours is brown I don't think it will make a difference. A lot of people use them, a junior hunter at Devon had one (chestnut, white cover) that was distracting. But if your horse needs it, use it! You see sheepskin girths more often ( it doesn't even have to be leather) so maybe try that next

Lucassb
May. 31, 2010, 08:44 AM
I have a sensitive horse too, and used sheepskin lined girths for years for showing with no problems ... they are common. But I didn't care for how distracting it was in photos. Now I use a girth sock which gets the job done just as well and is more or less invisible. http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=1&pf_id=0034097

At home we use the synthetic fleece girths, so they can be washed.every.single.time they are used so Mr. Sensitive isn't irritated by any dried sweat!

findeight
May. 31, 2010, 09:00 AM
No issue at all. Judge probably couldn't care less even if they did notice it. Cannot imagine a brown girth cover would factor into judging at 3'6" at a AA show-whole lot of other things would get you before that would even come to the judges mind before attire and color coordination.

Some years back you saw alot of them in white as well as the sheepskin lined leather girths (the $$$$ ones).

Now we have alot more selection with good looking synthretics and better quality covers available in colors instead of just white.

Don't even worry about it.

Silk
May. 31, 2010, 10:06 AM
Correct me if I am wrong (CBoylen) but I believe Popeye showed in a white girth sleeve that someone (one of his grooms, maybe) made for him. I can't seem to remember it ever causing a problem with the judges int he regular conformation division ;)

ChampionMercedes
May. 31, 2010, 01:41 PM
It shouldn't be a problem. I think the bulky white ones on dark colored horses are sort of distracting, but the amazing Strapless used to show in one and it obviously didn't make a difference to her placement in classes. Do whatever makes your horse happy :)

Blip9er
May. 31, 2010, 06:43 PM
Dark horse, dark girth cover... light horse, light girth cover. Keep in mind that if you use white on a dark horse and your leg swings back while jumping it look worse with a white visual. The dark cover on a dark horse will "hide" or not show as much a leg swing. Just a little food for thought. Good luck in finding your perfect girth!

snaffle635
May. 31, 2010, 09:48 PM
Just check out pics of recent Hunter Derby winners. You'll see lots of fleece girths.

http://chronofhorse.com/article_landing/horse%20sports/horse%20shows?nid=19814

irideponyhunters
May. 31, 2010, 10:12 PM
it would probably be okay since its brown but i wouldnt advise using a white one, but if it makes your horse better go for it! ive seen lots of people with the fleece schooling girths showing in rated ponies. i use a sheepskin/leather girth and its fantastic!

BAC
May. 31, 2010, 10:36 PM
Correct me if I am wrong (CBoylen) but I believe Popeye showed in a white girth sleeve that someone (one of his grooms, maybe) made for him. I can't seem to remember it ever causing a problem with the judges int he regular conformation division ;)

Running Fox sells a white cotton quilted girth cover that looks just like the one Popeye K wore in some of his photos IIRC.

Lucassb
May. 31, 2010, 10:50 PM
Dark horse, dark girth cover... light horse, light girth cover. Keep in mind that if you use white on a dark horse and your leg swings back while jumping it look worse with a white visual. The dark cover on a dark horse will "hide" or not show as much a leg swing. Just a little food for thought. Good luck in finding your perfect girth!

I totally agree with this. For schooling at home I use one of the synthetic fleece girths so I can just toss it in the wash - but boy is it noticeable in photos.

Melzy
Jun. 1, 2010, 08:40 PM
It's not a problem at all to wear a fleece girth cover except in Ladies Side Saddle classes. Use what makes your horse comfortable.