PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take horses on Ferry to Long Island, NY

Sheila
May. 30, 2010, 07:50 AM
Just a quick question- From New London? Just wondering. I know a barn from Martha's Vineyard does it all the time for shows but I hadn't heard about the Long Island Ferry.

ETA- The drive "around" would be too far for my guy (becasue I like to keep him wrapped in cotton) and I wouldn't do it but I was just thinking about the ferry- But if the ferry time takes just as long as the drive , then we wouldn't do that either as my guy doesnt need to do that for me.

rumblepony
May. 30, 2010, 08:34 AM
I dont know about the New London ferry, but I know that I take horses on the bridgeport/port jefferson ferry all the time with no problem. I would just make a reservation beforehand to make sure I had a place. Ferry takes about an hour, probably less on yours, the only problems I've encountered that have upset the horses are rough sea conditions, when the boat rocks alot and some horses dislike the loud engine noise.

It would be MUCHMUCHMUCH faster than the drive around through NYC/long islands parking lot. Save you hours.

Lucassb
May. 30, 2010, 08:45 AM
I've done the Bridgeport - Port Jeff ferry several times with no problems at all. I get there early and ask them to put me in the middle of the boat to minimize spray, rocking etc. Never had any issues.

However if you'd rather not do the ferry... you really should be fine "driving around." Horses go back and forth from this area to Florida all the time without incident. I don't wrap mine, having learned from pro shipper, just use bellboots. But even with wraps that shouldn't be a big deal to drive. If you are really worried about heat... get a fan installed in your trailer. Simple and inexpensive.

Sheila
May. 30, 2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the replies!!

Addes-

Lucassb--"wrapped in cotton"- sorry I meant I baby him. I would feel bad with a 4 hour trailer ride for a show. I agree with you about the bell boots for long hauls. Thanks for replying-

I love this board.

STA
May. 30, 2010, 02:20 PM
I have taken horses on the ferry, I used to live on the Eastend. I never had any problems. Asking to be put in the middle of the ferry is a good idea.

SunBelle
May. 30, 2010, 02:46 PM
Done it. No problem!

MHM
May. 30, 2010, 03:43 PM
It's a good idea to make a reservation in case it's busy. They will usually ask the length of your rig.

Alameda
May. 30, 2010, 06:03 PM
Done it. No problem. A a nice sunny, calm day, we opened all the door on the (semi) trailer so the humans on board could see the horses. Kept the humans entertained, and the horses got fresh air.

Ainsley688
May. 30, 2010, 06:08 PM
I ride at one of the barns on the Vineyard that takes the boat (lol, like we have a choice) and if it's hot, open your trailer windows and doors before you drive on, so the horses can get some cooler air. We don't have any problems with the horses, some are fine, some get more nervous. It's really not bad, and it's about a 45 minute ride the the mainland.

pippa553
May. 30, 2010, 06:51 PM
The New London - Orient Point Ferry is about an hour and twenty minute ride although it varies depending on conditions, rough seas or once, in my case, some engine problems. I would highly suggest you make reservations, especially with summer coming up. Also from what I remember you weren't allowed in the car area while the boat was in motion but maybe they changed that rule? I would definitely double check on that. The Port Jeff ferry will/would allow you to stay in your car or at least they did several years back, it's also a shorter ride.

rumblepony
May. 30, 2010, 07:48 PM
The Port Jeff ferry will/would allow you to stay in your car or at least they did several years back, it's also a shorter ride.

Yepp, they still do! Although, depending on the day, if you're headed out east, the traffic from port jeff is something to take into consideration.

Sheila
May. 30, 2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the replies!! You guys are great!!

MHM
May. 30, 2010, 08:56 PM
Call me paranoid (or Ishmael), but when I take horses on a ferry, I always ask the parking guys to leave enough room behind me to get the trailer ramp down. Just in case.

samtoney
May. 31, 2010, 02:29 AM
Anyone done the Lake Michigan ferry to Traver's?