PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 lease agreement

electric stride
May. 29, 2010, 11:39 PM
I'm sorry. I'm sure we have had a million of these but the search function doesn't work on my phone and I'm stuck. :/
I'd love to get some half-lease contract examples and base my own off of them?

I can give my email if you must send it that way.

Jumpthemoon16
May. 29, 2010, 11:53 PM
http://bayequest.com/static/forms/

Oh, and just wondering, are you the same "electricstride" as on Youtube?

MR
May. 30, 2010, 01:41 AM
PM me with your email and I can send you the lease agreement I've used.

MR
May. 30, 2010, 01:42 AM
http://bayequest.com/static/forms/

Jumpthemoon16: what's your name on BAEN?? Always fun to see cross over. I'm MR on BAEN, also.

florida foxhunter
May. 30, 2010, 06:43 AM
I just half leased a horse for the summer..........helps keep him ridden and pay his bills while I'm recooperating from an injury. I'd love to know the terms of what others ask.........or see the forms too. Either on the form or pm me..........thanks.

pony4me
May. 30, 2010, 09:25 AM
My half lease agreement is uber simple. Leasee pays half of his monthly board. The barn bills her. She pays them. I still pay all vet, farrier, massage, chiro, etc. bills, because he's still my pony, and I want his care up to my standards. Lease agreement states what days I have pony, what days she has pony, and when his day off is. Lease also states that pony may only leave barn premesis in my trailer, or in the barn's trailer.

So far it's working great.

findeight
May. 30, 2010, 09:52 AM
Most common would be either of these...

Figure TOTAL cost per month (which, of course, varies) and split it down the middle as a flat fee. For example, if board is 800, farrier is 150 every 8 weeks (for ease in figuring this example) and average annual vet is 600? That's 9600 for board, 900 for farrier and 600 for routine vet and 10,500 for the year. Divide by 12 months and you are around 875 a month for that half lease.

OR, you can charge them 400 a month for half the board and then bill them half of all those routine expenses.

You can certainly work out all sorts of modifications based on your own needs=how much do you need to get and how much are you willing to let go to help out that lease partner.

Biggest issue is alot of people looking to half lease seem to think it's half the board and totally ignore the other routine and often substantial costs of boarding a horse in a decent barn.

Good written contract and keeping an eye on half lease partner's activities keeps you out of trouble...and never try to be too nice if they get behind. IME they never catch up once they get more then 30 days in arears.

Bogie
May. 30, 2010, 10:40 AM
IME it helps to be very specific up front about details such as:

- which days the lessor can ride
- where can they ride the horse
- how much/high can they jump
- who is allowed to trailer the horse
- what tack should be used, who is responsible if it's broken
- who pays for injuries/vet calls that happens when lessor is riding

It is always better to address potential issues up front rather than after something has happened and emotions are high. And sometimes people just need help setting boundaries.

I'll give you an example: Someone I know and like is part leasing a mare. She took the mare to a foxhunt, rode first flight and jumped every fence. The mare started to collapse in my trailer on the way home. I suggested to her that maybe she'd pushed the horse too far and she told me she "had permission from the owner to hunt her."

Now this is someone who I've ridden with for years and who has ridden my horses. I always thought she had more horsemanship skills than to overface a not very fit horse. But it drove home to me that the owner should have been much more specific. Yes, you can hunt maresy, but please keep in mind that she's not very fit and ride her in the second field.