PDA

View Full Version : Devocoux Hunter Derby - HITS I

Punkie
May. 29, 2010, 10:21 PM
I had the pleasure of watching the derby this evening and saw some amazing horses and really great riders. There was a particular horse (whose name escapes me) that went last in the first round and scored an 87. BIG black mare, absolutely stunning. She went in for her second round and from where we were sitting, everything was absolutely spot on. Looked like another 87 round if not better. After the entire crowed cheered for her (seemed like everyone was absolutely sure that she cinched the class), she got a score of 55. I spoke to several trainers and several other people that had horses in the class and no one (including her rider, apparently. Or so heard through the grape vine) could figure out what went wrong. All of the horses were really lovely, but this mare was just...WOW. It was a real shame. I'm wondering if anyone else was there and had any insight into what went wrong to deserve a score like that. Just sheer curiosity!

(PS, it would be really nice if I could spell the thread title properly!! Whoops!!)

MHM
May. 29, 2010, 11:30 PM
I wasn't there, but 55 is a standard score for a trot somewhere on course.

Were there multiple judges who gave the same score? If so, they must have seen something.

Punkie
May. 30, 2010, 07:35 AM
I wasn't there, but 55 is a standard score for a trot somewhere on course.

Were there multiple judges who gave the same score? If so, they must have seen something.

We were wondering if perhaps there was a canter step or two at the trot jump. We were sitting clear across the course from where it was (and it was hidden behind a bunch of other fences so it was hard to see), but no one I spoke to saw anything wrong with the trot fence. Definitely didn't see any inappropriate trot steps during the course, but the judges were at a different vantage point, so it's entirely possible that we missed something. And I can only assume that all three judges gave a score in the same vicinity but they only announced one score.

:::shrug::: It's clearly not important, just curiosity getting the best of me! I was drooling over that mare and definitely disappointed to not see her win!