PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Vest/Hat - Effective in the Show Ring?

Fun Size
May. 29, 2010, 08:23 PM
So, I have heard a few people talking about the following products:

Cooling Vest (https://www.coolmedics.com/products.php?product=Plaid-V-Neck-Cooling-Vest-P1133#)

Cooling Hat (https://www.coolmedics.com/products.php?product=Adult-Cooling-Cap-%252d-1310)

The vest is supposed to fit under your show coat, and the hat under your helmet.

I have ZERO heat tolerance. I got a really bad virus about 2 years ago, and it totally fried my internal thermostat. I'm really worried about showing this summer...I have never done it before and I just don't really want to pass out in the heat (southern California, so think 100 degree days!).

Have any of you used these or tried them, and, if so, how did they work?

JA
May. 29, 2010, 08:38 PM
Never tried those but I would highly recommend a coolmax riding shirt and then a helmet like the GPA Speedair or another helmet with lots of vents! They really help with overheating

norcalammie
May. 29, 2010, 08:42 PM
Heat does me in too. I have the cooling vest and ride in it in the hot weather. Alows me to ride longer and not turn beet red. Not sure about under a show jacket though. When I was showing I would warm up without my coat and then slip it on right before going in the ring and take it off as soon as I finished my course. Think the vest would add bulk. At least the newer coats are lighter weight than when I was showing years ago.

Often in the summer I rinse my helmet out before putting it on my head - yes I have a vented helmet (IRH). Just got a new Antares (won it in a drawing) but don't think I could do that with the Antares as not the padding of the IRH.

Fun Size
May. 29, 2010, 08:48 PM
Never tried those but I would highly recommend a coolmax riding shirt and then a helmet like the GPA Speedair or another helmet with lots of vents! They really help with overheating

All of my shirts are CoolMax, and I just upgraded to the CO with vents so I'm hoping that will help! I also have the TS pro fabric, which seems to breathe really well. Any other tips for not melting?

This is super helpful....keep 'em coming! :D

Lucassb
May. 29, 2010, 10:02 PM
I don't have any particular problems with the heat but I did buy a couple of the new, more breathable show coats. Riding around in hundred degree heat in a wool coat has always seemed kind of crazy to me!

They come in a range of fabrics. I bought an Equine Couture coolmax one that seems really comfy on sale for under $100. And I splurged on the Pikeur Ghia which I fell in love with and just had to have...

AndNirina
May. 29, 2010, 10:46 PM
I'm not so sure how they would work under a jacket... I like Lucassb's idea of a more breathable coat. Many of my barn mates school in cooling vests during the summer, as it is way too hot to ride otherwise.

On a side note, the idea does sound nice. I showed at that one Gold Coast show last year when the fires were raging in SoCal and the heat was near/over 100 degrees. Thought I was going to die! Luckily, my mare was super fit and did okay. I was thinking of all of those showing at the Memorial today... it's got to be hot at LAEC. So much different from the start of this week.

If you try it will you update us?

Fun Size
May. 29, 2010, 11:00 PM
I'm not so sure how they would work under a jacket... I like Lucassb's idea of a more breathable coat. Many of my barn mates school in cooling vests during the summer, as it is way too hot to ride otherwise.

On a side note, the idea does sound nice. I showed at that one Gold Coast show last year when the fires were raging in SoCal and the heat was near/over 100 degrees. Thought I was going to die! Luckily, my mare was super fit and did okay. I was thinking of all of those showing at the Memorial today... it's got to be hot at LAEC. So much different from the start of this week.

If you try it will you update us?

I will update! I am for sure going to try the had, because for $15 that is an ok experiment. If that works, I might drop the $110 for the vest. My new Grand Prix coat is WAY cooler than my old RJ, and I'm going to try and get the new soft shell, so we'll see.

I was at that Gold Coast!! I wasn't showing, but I rigged up a misting fan thing for our barn under our show set-up. It was 2 misting fans from Lowes and a few hoses long enough to run down the barn aisle to the water faucet. I didn't stay the whole day, but apparently everyone was showing, running to the set up to cool off, and showing again! I guess it was pretty hilarious. :cool:

I was out at LAEC yesterday and today, too, just acting as barn photographer because I can't afford to show there (doing Camelot instead and saving for Santa Barbara!). Around 1pm I was like, ok, I'm getting warm in shorts and a cool max t-shirt...good thing I'm not showing!

Thursday was perfect - cool, cloudy, and a little drizzle. My favorite riding weather!! :D I rode Max in the rain Thurs. up at our barn, and we had a blast jumping.

Across Sicily
May. 30, 2010, 12:21 AM
I'm looking at the same thing - the CoolMedics vest and another that is a phase change cooling vest. Hopefully I will get them sometime next week and can let you know how they work!

AndNirina
May. 30, 2010, 01:23 AM
:) Maybe I'll see you at Camelot one of these days... our barn does all of those shows. My horse is returning from a 6-month layup hopefully in June, so maybe I'll be able to join them at the end of the season. Good 'ol Camelot shows.