PDA

View Full Version : Amerigo Custom ?

Bearhunter
May. 29, 2010, 06:28 PM
I have a custom Amerigo CC. I have had it for about a year. I have never had it adjusted or had the flocking checked. Should I do so? I ask because I previously had a County (not a good experience) and was told it needed to have the flocking checked every 6 months. I never was told this by my Amerigo rep but I started wondering about it today.

NE_Rider
May. 29, 2010, 07:43 PM
As far as having it adjusted, if it fits your horse, it should not need to be adjusted.

Wool flocking...This is a funny subject.....Many, if not most, saddle manufacturers/saddles say wool flocked saddles should be re-flocked every six months, more often if used heavily. The only saddle brand, which I can remembered right now, that does not recommend this is Stubben. I have spoken with a variety of saddlers over the years (hard to fit horses ;)), and most stick to the six month reflock, but a couple have hemmed and hawed, and say that is more often than it should need to be done.

I would say if the saddle fits your horse well and he has no soreness issues, there are no lumps/bumps or uneven compaction of the wool, you could let it go much longer than the six month thing -- especially if you use any type of protective pad (sheepskin half pad, Thinline, etc.), because that will help make up any shock absorption lost as the wool packs.