PDA

View Full Version : Pony won't jump?

Clever Pony
May. 29, 2010, 02:08 PM
So I teach a few beginner lessons and I have a super pony who packs kids around jumps. He happens to also be for sale, so I've hopped on him a few times to get him ready for sale. He's 13.2 and I weigh less than a hundred pounds, so I'm definitely not too big for him.

While he'll easily take a child around a course of jumps and used to let me jump him, one day recently, he decided he no longer wanted to jump for me. I'm not asking too much out of him and he is physically fine and his saddle fits. I can't say he even is refusing the jumps because he stops too far away! He'll stop 15-20 feet from the jump or even a ground pole and refuse to move forward. I've tried a crop and it only makes him back up.

What exactly can I do to get him to move forward to get over the jump? I've never dealt with a horse that stops 20 feet away and refuses to budge and will only just back up.

valencia
May. 29, 2010, 02:18 PM
You might be riding him too well, I don't know how else to put it, haha. I know a lot of ponies that will pack a kid around with the kid's legs and arms flopping all over the place but once someone who is going to get after them/make them work gets on, they start misbehaving.

My unprofessional opinion would be to just try to do less while you're riding him, and see if it is maybe coming from the pony's unwillingness to work.

mep0726
May. 29, 2010, 03:42 PM
I'm inclined to think that the pony is in pain. Probably not a lot of pain with a 50 lb. child on its back, but when you get on his back, your added weight causes him pain somewhere. As a result, he knows that going over a jump or groundpole will hurt with you on his back, and therefore he starts balking so far away from the jump/groundpole. Just a thought, but the first thing I would do is have a thorough vet exam done. Besides, with him for sale, it wouldn't hurt to have a thorough exam done just to make sure he has no problems that you've missed/can't see.

superpony123
May. 29, 2010, 08:37 PM
You might be riding him too well, I don't know how else to put it, haha. I know a lot of ponies that will pack a kid around with the kid's legs and arms flopping all over the place but once someone who is going to get after them/make them work gets on, they start misbehaving.

My unprofessional opinion would be to just try to do less while you're riding him, and see if it is maybe coming from the pony's unwillingness to work.

i was thinking possibly the same thing, but its also possible that even if youre skinny and dont weigh much for your age, even if its under 100 lbs id imagine youre somewhere close to that mark, and it sounds like the pony is used to packing around children that probably dont weigh more than 70 lbs. i am going to assume you dont weigh 70 lbs even if youre short, since you wouldnt be healthy enough to ride! i think it might just be too much for the little guy. im 103 lbs, 5', short torso so im not topheavy, and i still feel kinda big on a med pony and i try to take it easy

To the MAX
May. 29, 2010, 09:52 PM
A spinoff of the pain idea, maybe your added height/weight throws his balance off?
Idk...just throwing out ideas!

Clever Pony
May. 29, 2010, 11:42 PM
Actually, the rider that rides him the most weighs more than I do (by at least 10 pounds) and is a couple inches taller.

He's really a mystery to me!

HealingHeart
May. 30, 2010, 12:12 AM
The pony knows he is for sale and everything hurts, including his heart. He knows you are tuning him up. Is there anyway you can find that 4-ever home, ponies tend to be passed around alot and they like to bond with their people too.

He may even want to stay with you and be that teacher.

So I teach a few beginner lessons and I have a super pony who packs kids around jumps. He happens to also be for sale, so I've hopped on him a few times to get him ready for sale. He's 13.2 and I weigh less than a hundred pounds, so I'm definitely not too big for him.

While he'll easily take a child around a course of jumps and used to let me jump him, one day recently, he decided he no longer wanted to jump for me. I'm not asking too much out of him and he is physically fine and his saddle fits. I can't say he even is refusing the jumps because he stops too far away! He'll stop 15-20 feet from the jump or even a ground pole and refuse to move forward. I've tried a crop and it only makes him back up.

What exactly can I do to get him to move forward to get over the jump? I've never dealt with a horse that stops 20 feet away and refuses to budge and will only just back up.

Clever Pony
May. 30, 2010, 01:27 PM
I hopefully will find him a new home that will be a forever type home, but I can't find that for him unless I can show him off to people and show them that he can jump. I love this pony and am happy I can have a hand in his sale (I do not own him, but am just helping the owners sell him) so I get to make sure he ends up in the right hands. If I am not able to be successful in finding him a home, the owners will unfortunately send him to an auction to be sold and he could go to just about anyone.

So I really need to find a solution for this guy so he can find his own special little child who will love him!

SMF11
May. 30, 2010, 10:31 PM
Could you be too tall for him? My trainer thinks it is fine I ride my kids' 14.2 pony b/c my height is in my legs. She won't let another adult, who has a very long torso, ride him because she feels it might injure his stifles.

Also, if he is a really good (saint) pony and he begins acting up -- that is, this behavior is out of character -- then I would absolutely look first to a physical problem, not just that the pony is being naughty.

Rereading your original post, it seems probable that it is pain related. Is he still packing around kids? Can you have a prospective buyer watch him in a lesson with a child jumping him?

EqTrainer
May. 30, 2010, 11:38 PM
I bet he's just being a pony :lol::(

leilatigress
May. 31, 2010, 02:19 AM
A pony that doesn't jump? Oh send him my way!!! I am that rare weird bird that doesn't want a pony that jumps. Daughter does only Dressage and trail riding. I won't let her jump. I know I know but I'm in Texas and I can get away with it!

x
May. 31, 2010, 07:52 AM
Sounds like pony is being a pony. Ground person with longe whip can help get pony over this.

Gry2Yng
May. 31, 2010, 09:15 AM
I vote "Pony being Pony". Sorry no solutions. My dad wouldn't let me ride ponies. He thought they were too smart/tough and he was too tall to ride them when they got nappy. Best of luck. Maybe you could get a REALLY GOOD pony jockey that IS a kid and try a few experiments. Ride well, ride floppy, etc. Obviously if the pony goes for the kid that is larger than you, that isn't the problem.

findeight
May. 31, 2010, 09:37 AM
Veteran Ponies and smarter horses go better for less demanding riders. Easy to willingly give when less is asked for;).

Somebody hit on that earlier. Like a school horse chugging pleasantly around for a floopy, undemanding kid (or adult) that becomes increasingly less pleasant with more advanced riders who demand more and are more aware of the schoolies limitations then the beginners who love them and think they are terrific.

If this Pony does nothing wrong when the usual kid is riding? Likely not pain. It's YOU-it hates you:lol:.

No biggie on the sale front. Buyers and their trainers buy Ponies for kids and would rather see a kid riding in a sales presentation then an adult professional. Or a mini Pro Pony jock.

quicksilverponies
May. 31, 2010, 10:22 AM
I have to lean towards pain as well. And as a pony breeder/trainer for many years, I never buy the "pony being a pony" thing. That is such a generalization that excuses bad training/bad experiences and/or pain issues. Ponies are no different that horses in their training needs, but they are often handled differently. While almost no parent or trainer would put a less than proficient kid on a full sized untrained horse, many people don't hesitate to put one on an untrained pony. And even the saintliest of ponies will eventually end up with issues because of that... and yes, they are smart and will figure out how to survive. I am not saying your pony is trained improperly - just many are and get blamed for "Just doing what ponies do". A person peeve of mine. But, back to your pony....has anyone really evaluated this pony's movement when no one is on his back vs. when he is being ridden? Does he reach up under himself and push from behind the same when he is being ridden vs. on a longe line or free in a paddock? It is very possible he has some back pain, but with a less than proficient kid, he feels the need to protect and doesnt stop. With you, he may feel a more confident, knowledgeable rider and is trying to let you know something hurts. And I don't think it is his heart. I would have a chiropractor take a look at him if I were you.. and maybe check out his hocks as well. Good luck.

Clever Pony
May. 31, 2010, 10:27 AM
At this exact moment, I do not have a good pony jock to use to help me out with him so I won't have a child that can show him off for potential buyers.

How exactly do you make this sort of pony get over himself and get over the jump (or ground pole!)?

Clever Pony
May. 31, 2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks quicksilverponies, you posted at the same time I did. I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt since he's always been such a good boy. Getting a chiropractor out to see him is tough since I do not own this pony, but am just the person who teaches lessons on him and is helping the owners sell him. I can't imagine the owners wanting to put out more money for him, unfortunately. Its what makes this so tough. I have had someone watch him go, but I'll try to get a second opinion.

findeight
May. 31, 2010, 11:13 AM
BTW, just because I don't mention seeing to physical issues does not mean ignore the possibility. But I have been around so many big teaching barns, I have seen alot of cagey horses and Ponies who love the novice. It is certainly not just Ponies, it is the smart and experienced packer that teaches newer riders.

The likely buyer for this Pony is going to be a novice kid so go ahead and get a novice kid to ride it for the buyer. In the lower price ranges, it's NBD and, if they bring a trainer? Trainer will love seeing how it can take care of a novice-not pack a jock around.

When it's not yours, owners are not going to spring for any work ups and nothing is obviously wrong except it will not work for you and will for the novice? I would not worry about it.

Sugarbrook
May. 31, 2010, 01:34 PM
Why not post a video of the child riding him and doing just what you would ask. Then you get on and do the same thing while the camera is running. Let us look. We might be able to help better that way.

Joyrider
May. 31, 2010, 09:16 PM
I have had a few like this - stop 4-10 strides out and will refuse to move towards the jump. Try a few days of gastrogard and see if there is improvement. Good luck.

Lynnwood
May. 31, 2010, 09:25 PM
We know a mare..full sized who will happily pack the worst beginners around kicking and pulling etc.

However she becomes a horrible half rearing pissed off beast with a better rider asking her to go more forward and be in a frame.

She is so good @ her job and is so dependable why mess with who she is. Some people like to play sports and so people like to coach .. if hes not in pain let him be if hes good @ his job.