PDA

View Full Version : Better Use of Money - Zones or M&S Bit of Straw

sanctuary
May. 28, 2010, 11:20 PM
Which do you feel is a more attainable goal/better use of money? Going for Zone awards in the Children's Large Ponies or M&S Bit of Straw?

dab
May. 28, 2010, 11:46 PM
More attainable? Bit 'o Straw

Better use of money? Zone 2 finals

make x it x so
May. 29, 2010, 12:16 AM
^ I agree.
M&S Finals is a bit of a free-for-all, being that it's not USEF rated, you get people riding without helmets (not in the show ring but on show grounds), as well as the fact that there's no rule against drugging your horse.
Also, at M&S Finals you pay through the nose for stalls/shavings/etc.
That being said, it was a fun experience last year when I did it, but this year my barn has decided to go to the Big E instead (it's the same weekend) in preparation for Zone II Hunter Finals.

chunky munky
May. 29, 2010, 02:07 AM
This is an interesting question to see, as Bit of Straw doesn't exist in any other area than the north east. No opinion here, just an observation on how goals are so different in different zones.

Roxy SM
May. 29, 2010, 02:49 AM
Definitely Zone 2 Children's Lg ponies. I think the Bit of Straw thing is totally ridiculous.

S A McKee
May. 29, 2010, 09:28 AM
Definitely Zone 2 Children's Lg ponies. I think the Bit of Straw thing is totally ridiculous.
Perhaps, but the number of shows you'll be going to to try and qualify for zones is more than ridiculous both in wear and tear on the horse/pony and the pocketbook.
For many ( especially in a bad economy ) the MS finals may be a more cost efficient alternative.
Is there any thing like MS in other areas?

By George!
May. 29, 2010, 05:40 PM
For zone qualifying, only the points from your top 15 shows count. You need to do well when you show, meaning you need to win/place well consistently - to make it to zones in the children's divisions. It also helps if you do well at larger shows. You'll earn more points for the same ribbon if you win against 20 other horses/ponies instead of against three other ponies. You do not need to show every weekend.

I agree that Zone II Finals is a wonderful goal. I wouldn't say the same about M&S Finals for a variety of reasons.

Aside: To whomever noted that it's not USEF-rated and therefore isn't bound by the drugs and meds rules, that's absolutely true. What's ironic about it, though, is that so many of the horses showing at M&S Finals still look anywhere from not-quite-right to outright lame! :lol:

toomanyponies
May. 29, 2010, 10:00 PM
Why is the choice Zone II childrens pony finals or bit of straw - that makes no sense. Why would you not do the M&S Childrens ponies? then you can be trying to qualify for both at the same time. . . vs showing against the horses. . . . in an extra division. . .

S A McKee
May. 29, 2010, 11:11 PM
For zone qualifying, only the points from your top 15 shows count. You need to do well when you show, meaning you need to win/place well consistently - to make it to zones in the children's divisions. It also helps if you do well at larger shows. You'll earn more points for the same ribbon if you win against 20 other horses/ponies instead of against three other ponies. You do not need to show every weekend.

Not exactly. LMAO
Your best 15 shows count. You don't need to do well each time you show, you need to have 16 'good' shows.
And your point total has to be in the top xx number in the zone to qualify.
Many horses/ponies that qualify go to 30 or more shows to get 15 good shows. So yes, you do need to show every weekend or almost every weekend.

It's a race for points at the end of qualifying with some going to 2 shows a week in the final month.

By George!
May. 30, 2010, 06:36 PM
Ahhhh. I see. So the trailer races happen so the kids can have as many "at bats" as possible so the kids/ponies can try to hit the 15 "home runs" they need to make it to finals?

GiGi Larkin
May. 30, 2010, 06:58 PM
Go for the Zone Finals!!!

Roxy SM
May. 31, 2010, 12:52 AM
Not exactly. LMAO
Your best 15 shows count. You don't need to do well each time you show, you need to have 16 'good' shows.
And your point total has to be in the top xx number in the zone to qualify.
Many horses/ponies that qualify go to 30 or more shows to get 15 good shows. So yes, you do need to show every weekend or almost every weekend.

It's a race for points at the end of qualifying with some going to 2 shows a week in the final month.

Ummm, what do you mean by not exactly? By George said that they only take the top 15 shows and that if you go to bigger shows you get more points, sooo you don't have to show every weekend, you just have to do really well the 15 times you show(or maybe if you do really, really well you don't even need 15!), preferably at shows where you can get more points.

S A McKee
May. 31, 2010, 12:01 PM
Ummm, what do you mean by not exactly? By George said that they only take the top 15 shows and that if you go to bigger shows you get more points, sooo you don't have to show every weekend, you just have to do really well the 15 times you show(or maybe if you do really, really well you don't even need 15!), preferably at shows where you can get more points.

As you seem to be challenged let's try again in short sentences.
Yes, your best 15 shows count.
In order to get 15 good shows many exhibitors go to 30 or more shows and discard the low point shows.
Many exhibitors go to multiple shows each week in the last few weeks leading up to zone point cutoff.

Oh yeah, going to bigger shows to get more points is not correct. What counts is how many horses in your division, not the show rating. Same points for Hampton Classic as for a one day C show. But you knew that right?

Roxy SM
May. 31, 2010, 12:27 PM
As you seem to be challenged let's try again in short sentences.
Yes, your best 15 shows count.
In order to get 15 good shows many exhibitors go to 30 or more shows and discard the low point shows.
Many exhibitors go to multiple shows each week in the last few weeks leading up to zone point cutoff.

Oh yeah, going to bigger shows to get more points is not correct. What counts is how many horses in your division, not the show rating. Same points for Hampton Classic as for a one day C show. But you knew that right?

Challenged? No, how about someone who grew up with good trainers, meaning I don't understand why one would have to go to 30 or more shows to get 15 good ones. Those people that have to do that must not be very good/very consistent. By bigger shows I meant shows with more entries, sorry I didn't make that clear at all.