PDA

View Full Version : Safety Vest for young rider

LOKMom
May. 28, 2010, 11:54 PM
I have been researching purchasing a safety vest for my 10yr old dd. I think I have narrowed it down to the Charles Owen or the Tipperary.

Any thoughts pro or con to one or the other? And did I miss another brand that seems to work well for children?

Is there a good online source for any discounted prices?

Thanks!

alto
May. 29, 2010, 01:14 AM
It's important that the vest fits properly so try on all the options to find the one that best suits your daughter's frame - as long as each vest is certified to the same standards, the one your daughter finds most comfortable AND will wear is the right one for her.

Also consider why your daughter needs one - is she actually stable enough in her position to be jumping (I'm assuming that's why you're adding in a vest): I see alot of kids, teens & adults "jumping" that are just "staying onboard" while some wonderful horse hauls them over the fences.

My DD will finally be getting one next month as she's starting a pony this summer - I'm keen on the AiroWare ...
UK shops generally have a bigger assortment of vests for children than American shops so you might start your online search there.

Vest standards are set by the British Equestrian Trade Association (BETA):
BETA Class 1 (green) (equivalent to the old level 7) is suggested for low-risk riding
BETA Class 2 (orange) is suitable for normal risk
BETA class 3 (purple) is for high-risk riding

paintmare
May. 29, 2010, 01:34 AM
I had the Charles Owen Ultralight and it was extremely bulky. I do not believe the Tipperary meets any safety standards.

After hearing a lot of great thing I ordered the Outlyne. The AiroWear Outlyne comes in two different childs sizes so it would really depend on the size of your daughter.It is BETA Level 3. http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/AiroWear_-_Outline_Body_Protector.html

If you searched on the eventing forum you may find more recommendations.