PDA

View Full Version : How many strides to add?

ToastieOaties
May. 28, 2010, 09:18 PM
For a medium pony riding a line set on a 12' horse stride, should 1 or 2 strides be added?

Adding two seemed a touch quiet, adding one seemed like we were flying to get it. I preferred adding 2 over running for adding 1.

Thanks!

Janet
May. 28, 2010, 09:36 PM
I would think it would depend on how long the line is to start with. But based on what is in the rule book, for a show, I wouldn't expect to add more than one until the line is 120 feet.

When schooling, though, you need to adapt to the way the horse is going THAT DAY, and adding two might be right.

ToastieOaties
May. 28, 2010, 10:51 PM
I just read that mediums are usually set at 10.5-11, which would make a 72' line ride right between a 6 and a 7...which is exactly how it was riding!!

Janet
May. 29, 2010, 07:07 AM
I don't think so.

At 11 feet, a 6 stride is 77 feet and a 5 stride is 66 feet, so between 5 and 6.

At 10.5 feet, a 6 stride is 73.5 feet, and a 5 stride is 63 feet.

So between 5 and 6 strides.

If you do a 72 ft line in 7 strides, you have a 9' stride.

Stono Ferry
May. 29, 2010, 10:23 PM
As a general rule the add ones on lines set at a 12' step is equal to the medium pony step. So 72' would be a medium pony 6 to do the numbers. If you are talking about a short stirrup rider/pony then a 7 would be appropriate.

Silk
May. 30, 2010, 08:55 AM
I agree....which is why so many ponies who have the jump can't do the regular division - they dont have the stride. If, say, you are doing a child/adult class or a modified hunter class on a pony, you can add one or two and still pin, if it looks appropriate. They are not generally counting strides whne you show up ona pony, and those divisions are very forgiving. As a matter of fact, they would rather see a quiet line that a modified adult run for a distance.

theoldgreymare
May. 30, 2010, 10:01 AM
Here's a link to a USEF distances chart that may help....

http://www.mdccorporation.us/docs/MDC_USEF_distances.pdf

toomanyponies
May. 30, 2010, 09:25 PM
If you are doing the childrens ponies, which are set on the horse step, mediums with larger strides usually do plus 1, smalls do plus 2, larges always do plus 1. A smaller medium should do plus 2, or if the horse lines are very long, like >6, do plus 2.