PDA

View Full Version : summer riding equip suggestions

paintedtrails
May. 28, 2010, 05:18 PM
So, now I am dealing with hot southern summers and must find ways to be more comfy!
In particular, I'm in need of a few things, all within a reasonable price range...I can' justify spending oodles right now!
-Riding pants that don't get too hot!
-Summer weight gloves for when my hands get sweaty so I can maintain rein grip
-Helmet! I have a Troxel that is about 3 years old and was great in MI, but I am finding my head getting really hot already here...

Thanks in advance!

jeano
May. 28, 2010, 06:40 PM
I ride with a tipperary sportage in middle GA. It is actually possible to ride for four or five hours and have dry hair when you take the helmet off. They are under 75 bucks.

Ovation makes a shiny riding tight that is pretty tolerable in the heat. I got mine on sale for under 30 bucks. Nylon O'Keahey's tights are interesting--they are almost my warmest winter pants as well as close to being my coolest summer pants. Sale price, under 30 bucks. I got my very favorite-est pair of Kerrits off tack of the day for 35 bucks several years ago--they are boot cut, and the material is fairly cool, but it isnt the horrible ribbed heavy stuff they are using now, nor the cellulite enhancing saran wrap thin material in the last pair of Kerrits I tried on. Shop sales, think tights not breeches, you will find something you like. Another favorite pair of riding pants are some exercise pants from Target--wicking material, real comfy and cool. Maybe 30 bucks. No knee patches, but hey, they work.

Cotton track or similar pimple palm gloves--3.99 to 5.00 bucks in most catalogs.

Simbalism
May. 29, 2010, 04:16 PM
I have two helmets I use a white Troxel plastic vented helmet and an International plastic vented helmet( both around $30).I like SSG gloves or Kerrits gloves.I recently got a pair of enduro cool tights from Tropical Rider with their "suede" material in extended patch(goes up into the crotch). I was a die hard full seat wearer, but am really liking the extended patch for coolness.

ponygrl25
May. 31, 2010, 09:23 AM
I love capris from Target - Champion or Walmart - Danskin and the athletic shirts from Danskin. They really breathe and even after a couple of summers, mine still look pretty decent. Considering they are a fraction of the cost of actual riding clothes! I use synthetic half chaps and they are pretty comfy with the capris, may not be for everybody, though. I also have sheepskin covers on my saddles, so the knee patches aren't that important for me.

I also use cotton braid or rope reins a lot of the time because I hate gloves. If I do wear them, I like the mesh-back type.

Also, don't forget about socks and undies. Target has some great socks by Champion that are about $6 for 6 pair. They have great wickabilityand are lightweight. They also have arch support which is really important for me. They undies with the comfort-soft seams and waistbands are the best I've found so far.

Don't forget to take plenty of water or Propel/Gatorade on the humid days. Humidity can get really bad really fast and you don't realize until you are in trouble. A granola bar or protien bar is also a good idea to toss into your saddle bag if you could be out for a while.

paintedtrails
Jun. 1, 2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks...How about suggestions on where to get helmets? I have a Troxel because that was an easy one to try on and pick up at Tractor Supply... I have a small head, so not the easiest to fit and weary of ordering it online...

I tried out a pair of Tuff Rider ventilated tights this weekend...not too shabby! still was hot, but not nearly as sweaty feeling. I will be looking for at least one other pair.

Danskin-I have a shirt from them I love, got at Walmart I think. Went there for more, can't find any!
I didn't think about using my gym stuff...I do have 1/2 chaps I can wear at least, and my saddle is nubuck leather so a bit grippy.

jeano
Jun. 2, 2010, 09:36 AM
The nylon Danskin high impact sports bras from Wally World are great riding bras. Ten bucks. You will have to go to the biggest tack store in your area to try on helmets and figure out what size and configuration works best for you. If you can then find the best deal online, well, ok. But even though I buy tons of stuff online, when Mr Jeano and I went to Horsetown to try helmets on we were happy to buy there and not quibble about a couple of bucks, because the salesperson worked her butt off helping us and checking fit.

It was in fact the Champion line of workout clothes from Target I was thinking of. The men's shirts provide more coverage and is sometimes easier to find on sale.

On memorial day I rode for the very first time in capri pants (just a quick ride to check saddle and pad fit) and thought, hmm, with some sheepskin covers for my stirrup leathers this could be pretty comfy.

rmh_rider
Jun. 2, 2010, 09:53 AM
Number one thing for trail riding: Deep Woods Off bug spray.

Then . . . .

Repel-35 BioGroom fly spray (for the sensitive horse) works good!

Endure fly spray, won't sweat off BEST FOR YOUR $$.

BugsOff (purple bottle) works "ok", not overly impressed but still "ok".

LyteNow E'lytes in the tube.

ALL of these I consider "equipment" for Summer riding.

rmh_rider, rider in the hot humid buggy Alabama (98% humidity RIGHT NOW)

baylady7
Jun. 2, 2010, 12:35 PM
if you cross water get a sponge in a net on a string so you can sponge your horse off.

wateryglen
Jun. 6, 2010, 08:59 AM
I second the cotton reins or woven cotten reins suggestion. You can go barehanded to keep cooler and when they get wet or sweaty they aren't slippery. You can use flyspray and when they get dirty just wash them in some hot soap & water, rinse, dry and they're like new. I ride english but use western ones with the alligator snaps on them. LOVVE them!

I like to wear a sweatband under my helmet too. Usually a bandana folded up and tied on like an indian! Keeps the helmet a bit away from my head and I can wash the bandana easier than the helmet. Get a helmet with LOTS of ventilation holes of course!

And prefer to use non leather tack where I can so I can wash it, let it get sweaty etc.