PDA

View Full Version : OTTBs and Show Names

LoveJubal
May. 28, 2010, 03:47 PM
Do you guys with OTTBs show them under their race name or do you change it? Or, does it depend on the racing name that they have to begin with?

I have always heard it was bad luck to change a horse's name...
Tell me what you think!

myvanya
May. 28, 2010, 04:01 PM
I don't particularly believe that it is bad luck to change a horse's name but that being said:

I have an OTQH and I have left his name the same for shows. (Still actually have to get him in with USEF but have already gotten him his USDF horse ID and local organizations....just don't want to spend the $ yet for USEF). I figure his registration papers have that name so it helps avoid confusion. I honestly think his registered name is kind of dumb, but really it doesn't matter. So I have a stable name for him that I like and call him that and show him under his super silly AQHA/racing name. :lol:

netg
May. 28, 2010, 04:05 PM
I dislike most registered names, and wouldn't hesitate to change a horse's name. That said, I actually like my horse's name so show under it. (Plus he had some lifetime memberships before I bought him... makes it easier if everything is under one name!)

jetandmegs4
May. 28, 2010, 04:05 PM
I left my OTTBs name the same, because I liked it. His name is Willie Cruise, thought it was cool.

NE_Rider
May. 28, 2010, 04:09 PM
Or, does it depend on the racing name that they have to begin with?

If I like it I keep it, if I don't like it, I ditch it and rename :D.

I have always heard it was bad luck to change a horse's name...

Never heard that one, but I think bad luck in the horse world is lurking around every corner LOL!!!

I left my OTTBs name the same, because I liked it. His name is Willie Cruise, thought it was cool.

OH! I do like that name!!!

rideforthelaurels16
May. 28, 2010, 04:12 PM
My OTTB's racing name was Philbert.
Yeah, so now I show him as La Vie Boheme, haha :)

islndgirl
May. 28, 2010, 07:39 PM
Philbert is adorable! Do you still use that as his barn name?

My OTTB's was Skippin' Stoned... not sure I loved that! But I just changed it to Skipping Stone, which I really like. I have heard about the bad luck thing and I am silly with superstitions... I figured tweaking it a little bit was ok :).

mojo7777
May. 28, 2010, 07:56 PM
My boy's Jockey Club name is Mon Ogon. Not sure what's up with that (let me know if anyone has an idea of how they came up with it), but he came with the barn name of Mojo, which kind of suits him in a goofy way. If and when we show, I'll probably just go with Mojo.

I also love the name Philbert!

DMK
May. 28, 2010, 08:22 PM
I've happily changed names (raveninthecavein? no thank you!) until I finally bought an unnamed yearling and got the name I wanted, do the latest edition is shown under his JC name. I always put correct sire/dam info when registering them with USEF regardless of name.

Tiffany01
May. 28, 2010, 08:39 PM
My Paint's name was Crowdog's Daugther to Uncamparable Beauty and I changed it to Lost My Sock.

lotc2005
May. 28, 2010, 08:41 PM
I loved my filly's name, and I never changed it (Luv Of The Century). With that said, if the name doesn't seem fitting to the horse, I would change it.

bornfreenowexpensive
May. 28, 2010, 08:44 PM
It has to be pretty bad for me to change it....and I've had some with pretty bad ones! Dark Plum. yeah...no. Current OTTB came with the name of Loveton (his JC racing name). I'm Keeping it...and it's his barn name as well. Worked well as I like single word names.

Love Philbert too!

ddashaq
May. 28, 2010, 09:18 PM
My horse's JC name is Prince Georgi, which I just do not like at all. His barn name is Dega and his show name is Talladega George (or Prince, depending on my mood). Not the greatest show names ever, but I am superstitious and consider completely changing a name bad luck.

TwoDreamRides
May. 28, 2010, 09:37 PM
My OTTB raced as Simply Stylin. Not bad. Problem was, he was a 5yo gelding and when he walked in the barn, everyone thought I had bought a 2yo filly. He has very feminine features and the name was not helping. He has no call name, so I picked that & a show name for him. He is now Always The Optimist aka Timi.

My friend's OTTB came registered as Three Cubits (wtf?) and the barn name Shane. He quickly became Without Shame.

sansibar
May. 28, 2010, 10:19 PM
Ugh Changed Willy's so fast! His race name was Cross Eyed Willy (some what accurate... but way too embaressing! lol), and now his show name is William Tell. :)

TheBrownHorse
May. 28, 2010, 10:37 PM
My OTTB mare came with the name "Secret Echo", which wasn't that bad, honestly. Her barn name was "Echo" which I wasn't too fond of. She was a bright red chestnut OTTB mare (ha) and I called her Scarlett as her barn (often "the little red horse" as my my big horse is "the brown horse" and my previous horse "the red horse" and my retired mare at home "the mare"... yes, we're awfully creative ;) ), and believe I showed her under Scarlett Ribbons (for my grandfather who passed away before I was born).

My current guy isn't an OTTB, but I didn't want to change his name for his breeders sake. Runabout isn't all that wonderful (though it has a cute story behind it), especially when I take the not-so-huntery-horse into hunter land (you can imagine the things people say about that!), fortunately, his barn name was a keeper-- Shorty.

My other TB was called "Red" (came with it, however he lived up to his "redness" in all aspects. such a cranky but wonderful red fellow) and his show name was Caught Red Handed. Mom wanted to buy the horse based off his name haha!

Midge
May. 28, 2010, 10:57 PM
Yeah, because I am going to show Eightsecondcowboy. :rolleyes:

fourmares
May. 29, 2010, 02:00 AM
Depends on the name. My new mare is sticky with her Jockey Club name, Perfectly Blended, my old TB did not, his was Bally Did It.... I believe the bad luck to change a horse's name refers to the horses barn name.

PNWjumper
May. 29, 2010, 11:45 AM
I always interpreted the superstition to mean barn name, not show name. I've changed the show name of just about every horse I've ever had.

My current OTTB was Billy L on the track and he's just Billy under USEF. I've been trying to come up with a better name for him (he's so not a "Billy"), but I've failed miserably so far. He may end up just being "William." My plan was always to get him a good name before he had a show record, but now that he's jumping around the 1.40m I feel like I've kind of missed that boat! :lol:

CallMeGrace
May. 29, 2010, 11:51 AM
We kept our mare's (Broke But Happy) - call her Gracie. We also kept the gelding (Major Lee), but I was tempted to change it.

Sing Mia Song
May. 29, 2010, 01:45 PM
I think I've kept a grand total of one TB name in all the years I've had OTTBs.

--Capistinian--> Timely Miss
--Mia Cantadorita --> Cantadora
--Banner Pass --> Harlequin (to be fair, I didn't know his JC name until I'd had him almost a year: I might have kept Banner Pass)
--Stay the Night --> kept it
--Cope's A Wonder --> Do The Math
--Park the Bug --> Celadon.

I've changed barn names when they didn't suit me, but tend to keep them. Capistinian came as Missy, Cantadora and Stay the Night didn't have a barn name, Banner Pass came as Harley, Cope's a Wonder came as Copey and became Stanley, Park the Bug came as Rudy and kept it.

Other non-TBs I've had--Toledo became Toad (you'd have to know him to realize how appropriate it is) and was shown as Toad Hollow. Bandit became Boca and showed as Backtalk. He's now a Bailey with his current owner, so we're keepin' it all in the Bs. ;)

Arado*TB
May. 29, 2010, 02:07 PM
We have Arado, who we toy with a name change. Bet on Honor has been changed to Come As You Are aka Forrest. And then, Mister Fizz, whose name we kept beause it fits him perfectly.

ET's Home
May. 29, 2010, 08:03 PM
My TB mare did not make it to the races and thus came to me as an un-named 3-year old TB. I was able to send a few names to the JC that I really liked and got my first choice. Her sire was Key Recognition (by Damascus) and I really liked the name Instant Recognition. But if you count the letters with the spaces, it makes 19 (JC's names are limited to 18). So her JC name is Instantrecognition and her USEF is Instant Recognition.

Kept her barn name that she came with. Plus I have a lot of other names for her, especially when she does her typical OCD alpha TB mare routine. :lol:

RugBug
May. 29, 2010, 08:16 PM
Poor Elf's name has been changed a few times. His JC name is "Hot Elvin". Blech and double blech.

Person I bought him from showed him as Perfect Alibi. It's an okay name, but not one that appeals to me.

If I get around to showing him, I think it will be as "By Request." He has to live up to it first, though. Every day we are getting closer to him deserving the name, so that seems to be where we will be landing.

Elf fits him to a t...so I would never change that.

kateh
May. 30, 2010, 12:35 PM
My barn's trainer and owner are currently arguing over whether to change one of the greenie's names. He started out Red, but then he turned brown :lol: Plus we acquired a Red who actually is red.

Milo19
May. 30, 2010, 03:36 PM
With my first OTTB, I kept his name. I show him under his registered name. I didn't love it at the time when I bought him, but it as grown on me and I have learned to love it.

I am in the process of buying another OTTB, and I am thinking about changing his name. I'm not in love with his registered name, or his stable name. The only problem is that I have a tendency to be extremely indecisive and I can't pick a name! Haha.

And I have never heard that it was bad luck to change your horse's name!

Dakotawyatt
May. 30, 2010, 08:06 PM
My boy was Roy's Legacy. He's now Ricochet. I WOULD have kept his barn name, but it was Junior. My problem with the barn name of Junior is it's the name of the most HATED lesson horse I ever rode, haha. When I think of Junior, I think of the little leopard spotted Appy pony that was the bane of my existence! He's now Tiki.

LoveJubal
May. 30, 2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I am not sure if I will show the horse I am currently working with or not. His name is not so bad, so I would probably keep it.

His Jockey Club name is Searchforthebest. (Barn name is Primo.)

By the way, thanks for the comment on the 18-letter requirement for TB names. I was wondering why there were no spaces. I just figured that the person who sent in the paperwork may have had a few too many drinks when they were filling in the blanks! :lol: If I keep the name, I will definitely add the spaces because I am anal about spelling.

Also, thanks for the information on the superstition about the name changing - it makes sense that it would be the barn name.

Milo19
May. 30, 2010, 10:01 PM
Also, thanks for the information on the superstition about the name changing - it makes sense that it would be the barn name.

Sorry, I didn't read through all the posts... but the bad luck is supposed to come from changing a horse's barn name, not show name? Lol I am just reading into the superstition and being curious... because if I buy this horse I'm looking at, I was thinking of changing his name.

Mukluk
May. 30, 2010, 11:14 PM
My mares JC name is "A True Angel" Sort of corny but she really has turned out to be an Angel. I'm going to use that as her show name to honor her TB heritage. But if I got one with a lousy name, I think I'd change it!!!

FlyingSwap
May. 31, 2010, 07:05 PM
Well......my poor boy's JC name was Struggler's Legend. UGH!!!!! Talk about being screwed before you even begin! I got some of his race videos and the announcers like to say things like "Aaaaaand Struggler's Legend is struggling today!" Which...to be fair, he was. :lol:

Anyway, he for whatever reason became Franklin when I got him--which got shortened to Frank. I refused to call him Struggler, which is what he had been called. God. His show name now is Frankly My Dear, because, like Rhett Butler, he doesn't give a damn. :D

My 4yo is by Tapit and was named Tap Room---several people liked it, but I didn't---it doesn't suit this sweet, innocent-faced boy at all. He now goes by Mischief Managed :) (big Harry Potter fan) which is totally appropriate for him. His barn name is Jet.

Lazy Palomino Hunter
May. 31, 2010, 07:19 PM
There was a thread on the racing forum a few weeks ago in which a breeder let a coworker name a new JC foal.

The coworker's choice?

Salad Fork.

JC names crack me up. A friend of mine had one named On The Phone. She promptly changed that. :lol:

Anyplace Farm
May. 31, 2010, 07:37 PM
I love my OTTB's registered name and will keep it as his show name. His registered name is Vigoroso. I call him Vigo for short.

Other OTTBs in the past - I had one named Jetcin. I thought that was such a cool name. When I sold him, his owner immediately changed it to Dark and Stormy. The last one I had was born Alarming Takeover and was changed at some point by an owner to Justinthemiddle. Of course his barn name was Justin.

RugBug
May. 31, 2010, 09:27 PM
I love my OTTB's registered name and will keep it as his show name. His registered name is Vigoroso. I call him Vigo for short.

Other OTTBs in the past - I had one named Jetcin. I thought that was such a cool name. When I sold him, his owner immediately changed it to Dark and Stormy. The last one I had was born Alarming Takeover and was changed at some point by an owner to Justinthemiddle. Of course his barn name was Justin.

Isn't it funny how a name we might think is just great makes someone else shudder and vice versa? I'm sure Elf's former owner thought Perfect Alibi was a wonderful name. I hate it. She probably thinks By Request is stupid. I quite like it. Who knows what his breeder was thinking with Hot Elvin, though. Hot is from dad. Elvin? No idea where that came from.

LaraNSpeedy
May. 31, 2010, 09:45 PM
I have shown maybe 50 OTTBs - I used to train them for a living. Many were through a rehab I worked for - several were mine - many were to retrain for a new home. It just depends on the name of the horse.

jenarby
May. 31, 2010, 11:55 PM
I keep all the registered names as show names. Have yet to have a really bad one. To me it's their identity on the track and since I'm mostly show locally other people in the area recognize their names at shows. I've yet to change one.
The three I have now:
Spider Murphy
Tipping
Simply Sealy (unraced...I raise this one)

From the past:
Let's Get Going
Doc's Peak
Formal Raise
Lord Hansel
Attitude Plus

Too many to count really but I didn't show them all. HOwever, if I had I'd just use the JC name they were given.

irideponyhunters
Jun. 1, 2010, 12:07 AM
my friend bought an OTTB and changed his name and has done well in the hunters!

Fancy That
Jun. 2, 2010, 03:33 PM
My first OTTB was Champagne Wishes. PERFECT name for showing :)

My second OTTB was Balance of Power Again - not too bad for a show name, but I changed it to Aces High and his barn name was Ace.

My friends' NZ TB is a grey mare registered as "Iona Grey"...and that's what she uses for showing (eventing)

Just depends on the registered name and if it "sounds okay" being announced.

IfWishesWereHorses
Jun. 14, 2010, 04:19 AM
My first OTTB was Champagne Wishes. PERFECT name for showing :)

My second OTTB was Balance of Power Again - not too bad for a show name, but I changed it to Aces High and his barn name was Ace.

My friends' NZ TB is a grey mare registered as "Iona Grey"...and that's what she uses for showing (eventing)

Just depends on the registered name and if it "sounds okay" being announced.

Wow..thats a blast from the past. I knew Iona Grey when she was down here. Came about half an hour away from vetting her before someone else got in first and she was then sold up to the US.

Lovely lovely mare.

farmgirl88
Jun. 14, 2010, 09:08 AM
my guy had quite the fan club following him on the track throughout his career so i decided to keep his name, Storm Gulch

Vesper Sparrow
Jun. 14, 2010, 10:04 AM
My guy had been through four owners, two names, and god knows how many barn names when I got him as a long two-year old, so I did not feel bad about changing his name. His show name morphed into his barn name and he quickly adapted to it. EC has both his show name and his JC name on their records.

My old mare kept her JC name throughout her long show career.