PDA

View Full Version : Stop shopping in my tack trunk!! *ventilating*

equidae
May. 28, 2010, 02:56 PM
So I ride at a fairly small barn (25 horses), and I just have to say how disappointed I am in my fellow barn mates right now. In the last month (May), I have lost my leather girth, leather martingale, leather summer riding gloves, show bat, and someone has ridden in my boots and left them filthy. (I clean my stuff meticulously after every ride). Taken right off the wall, off of their respective hooks, never to be seen again. (I looked everywhere, save everyone's personal tack trunks. I'm not the type to do that). Also, stealing my medicated shampoo and antibiotics from my trunk also REALLY sucked. My horse doesn't thank you either. A**holes.

Someone has also ridden in everything (saddle, pads, bridle, martingale) and left them haphazardly lying around my tack area, FILTHY and covered in sweat, dirt, and chestnut horse hair (I have a grey), but at least they returned the stuff! I would never think to use someone else's boots and saddle so obviously.

Come on people, really?? My tack area is NOT a tack store and the items in it are not open for business! I do not appreciate having to clean your mess off my stuff, and especially do not appreciate having to replace things because they were stolen. I do not have fancy or expensive tack, so I don't even know who would be interested. Some people have Edgewood's and Anatares' hanging right out in the open that are left untouched. I would understand if this were a bigger barn, people would be more anonymous. But here- I know everyone (some better than others), but I at least know their names and horses. I know it could be worse, but I still take everything home with me now and am on the lookout for a large enough tack trunk for every thing to fit onto to LOCK when I leave.

Sorry- just had to vent. People suck. I know it happens everywhere- but all at once it just shocking to me. Thanks for listening ;)

sar2008
May. 28, 2010, 03:02 PM
Wow, that is really tacky of them. Buy a lock or something for your trunk. Write a note that says the following:

Dear A** Hole,

I know your using my stuff and I really don't appreciate it. I have a camera taping you right now, so say CHEESE!!!

Thank you,

Equiade :D

Can you buy one of those locking saddle racks as well?

STA
May. 28, 2010, 03:08 PM
That conduct use to drive me crazy. I take good care of my equipment and don't mind "lending" things to people who ask permission. What you describe is rude and unacceptable.

I solved my issue by purchasing a brand small enough to mark every piece of tack I own. Worked like a charm, I was even able to recover something someone stole and they did not know where I had branded the belly strap.

indygirl2560
May. 28, 2010, 03:11 PM
That's awful! My barn is slightly bigger than yours but no one ever steals from each other, or takes things without asking. If people don't have the common decency to ask before they use your stuff, then buy a nice big padlock! Have you notified the BO about your missing stuff?

equidae
May. 28, 2010, 03:12 PM
Wow, that is really tacky of them. Buy a lock or something for your trunk. Write a note that says the following:

Dear A** Hole,

I know your using my stuff and I really don't appreciate it. I have a camera taping you right now, so say CHEESE!!!

Thank you,

Equiade :D

Can you buy one of those locking saddle racks as well?

I didn't know they made locking saddle racks! Yes I would purchase one! I've mentioned chaining my saddle to my saddle rack. Someone already beat me to actually marketing one with a built in lock.

equidae
May. 28, 2010, 03:14 PM
That's awful! My barn is slightly bigger than yours but no one ever steals from each other, or takes things without asking. If people don't have the common decency to ask before they use your stuff, then buy a nice big padlock! Have you notified the BO about your missing stuff?

Oh yes, I've mentioned to her, but she cant really *do* anything, without knowing who it was. I've written on the white-board everything that's missing as well. I doubt I'll get it back. It's more the principle of the fact, rather than the items missing. (Although I loved that martingale as it was super soft). And the ABX- well that just goes with out saying.

equidae
May. 28, 2010, 03:17 PM
That conduct use to drive me crazy. I take good care of my equipment and don't mind "lending" things to people who ask permission. What you describe is rude and unacceptable.

I solved my issue by purchasing a brand small enough to mark every piece of tack I own. Worked like a charm, I was even able to recover something someone stole and they did not know where I had branded the belly strap.

I don't mind lending either, as I sometimes have things to borrow too. But it will always be returned cleaned and oiled (if applicable and it won't darken the leather).

Where did you get such a brand? I like that idea..

sar2008
May. 28, 2010, 03:21 PM
http://www.horsetackinternational.com/locking-close-contact-saddle-rack.html?zenid=3266435c3120dff7c374a2f284a4c5e2

Here you go...worth every penny :)

selah
May. 28, 2010, 03:21 PM
I would be very tempted to lace a bottle of shampoo with Gentian Violet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentian_violet

It's very very purple, and stains the skin and hair. It is used in various applications in the hospital, one of which is to mark the skin of radiation therapy patients, as it does not readily wash off. You would know who had been in your stuff by their purple hands and discolored horse. Of course, you'd have to be careful not to grab that particular bottle of shampoo to use on your own grey horse, or he might end up looking a bit like Dame Edna:
http://showclix.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/dameedna.jpg

doublesstable
May. 28, 2010, 03:22 PM
No matter how big or small the barn is - - that's not acceptable! It's YOUR tack and no one should touch it. If someone asks you, then okay - but WOW.....

Unfortunatley it sounds like you need to lock your things up and put your name on EVERYTHING.

When I boarded for many years I had my name on everything so there would be no mistakes that it belonged to someone else... I locked everything up even my feed. I had a trash can w/ feed in it; a chain and a lock. It's sad this has to be done - but some people don't feel using others stuff is an issue.

Now that I have my own barn - I LOVE IT. I can leave my fly spray on the door and it's just where I left it when I go to the barn.

I hope you can find a solution to this... You could post a note, but IMHO; I think a lock will say what needs to be said.

Good luck and I am sorry about what you are going through.

doublesstable
May. 28, 2010, 03:24 PM

It's very very purple, and stains the skin and hair. It is used in various applications in the hospital, one of which is to mark the skin of radiation therapy patients, as it does not readily wash off. You would know who had been in your stuff by their purple hands and discolored horse. Of course, you'd have to be careful not to grab that particular bottle of shampoo to use on your own grey horse, or he might end up looking a bit like Dame Edna:

That would do it!!!! :lol::lol:

STA
May. 28, 2010, 03:27 PM

I like the above idea, I did something similar to neighbors who kept coming on to my property to remove a sign at night. I mixed a powder that does not wash off with vaseline and smeared the mixture on the sign post - they had a difficult time denying their action the next day since the husband's hands were stained red. No harm to him, but it took weeks for the red stain to wear off.

Lazy Palomino Hunter
May. 28, 2010, 03:28 PM

I like this idea. :yes:

equidae
May. 28, 2010, 03:29 PM

Omg, thats AMAZINGGGG.

STA
May. 28, 2010, 03:29 PM
Equidae, I bought my brand at least 35 years ago. Find a welder and have them make a brand for you. The letters in my brand are about 3/8 inch tall, they fit on cheek pieces, brow bands, everything.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 28, 2010, 03:30 PM
Why not just lock your trunk?

equidae
May. 28, 2010, 03:31 PM
http://www.horsetackinternational.com/locking-close-contact-saddle-rack.html?zenid=3266435c3120dff7c374a2f284a4c5e2

Ooo, and it's discreet too! (So I don't look like a psycho paranoid with a giant chain around my saddle. HAHAHA).

equidae
May. 28, 2010, 03:33 PM
Why not just lock your trunk?

It's VERY small. And needs to be fitting for proper locking hardware. It's not really 'meant' for horse stuff, as I just bought my horse in April, I have not yet gotten a proper trunk large enough for everything. It's in the works ;)

equidae
May. 28, 2010, 03:33 PM
Equidae, I bought my brand at least 35 years ago. Find a welder and have them make a brand for you. The letters in my brand are about 3/8 inch tall, they fit on cheek pieces, brow bands, everything.

Hahah, ok thank you.

Lazy Palomino Hunter
May. 28, 2010, 03:37 PM
Here ya go:

Tack brands (http://www.brandinbuddies.com/)

Coanteen
May. 28, 2010, 03:53 PM
Oh wow, I'd go crazy if that were happening to me.

I (third? fourth?) the Gentian violet idea!

klmck63
May. 28, 2010, 03:53 PM
Have you considered on of these (http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Consumer-Storage-037025H-Gallon/dp/B000Q5LZT4)?

They're lightweight, easily movable, inexpensive and come with a lock installed and a place on each latch to add another lock if you'd like.

I can fit almost everything I need to take to a show in one (except blankets, etc.), so it should be of sufficient size!

You can get them from Lowes, Rona, Home Depot, etc.

Schune
May. 28, 2010, 03:57 PM

There's a cheaper method, which is just as effective.

I'm assuming your saddle has the D rings next to the stirrup bar, under the skirt. You need a small length of sturdy, but fine chain link and a tiny combination lock (think something you would use for a backpack or laptop bag).

Simply wind the chain through the D ring, through the saddle rack, and secure with the padlock. Presto.

I feel for you, though, what with stuff walking away. I was at a lesson one week and decided to forgo putting my open fronts on my horse, because they were dirty and I'd forgotten to soap them up. I set them in my grooming tote which was left by the grooming stall.

After my lesson, I see a lesson kid walking her pony down from the barn and what do I see but my open fronts on her horse. I politely asked her for them back, and she kind of gave me this look and said "Oh, well, I thought they belonged to the barn."

Yes, that's why they have my initials on them AND they were in my tote.

Tobias
May. 28, 2010, 04:10 PM
O my gosh, Thats horrible!!!! I am so sorry that happened to you! I have a very large upright tack "room" as my trainer calls it. it fits almost every thing I own. the only things not in it are a feeding bucket and my horse :lol::lol:

My dad built it a customized it for me. and I can lock it. I don't need to tho.

I like the chain through the dee ring idea. some bike locks might be small enough to fit too! Maybe a gun lock? http://www.kilwell.co.nz/Images/mossberg%20Cablelock_zoom.jpg

If you can't get a box anytime soon, you can also lock your bridle to the bridle rack if its one like this:http://www.horsetackinternational.com/images/113563-bridle-rack.jpg

They may be able to unbuckle the bridle still and take it, but it would be a pain the the butt to do so.

There are a lot of great ideas here, I hope you find some way to stop this.

MoJo
May. 28, 2010, 04:49 PM
Oh yes, I've mentioned to her, but she cant really *do* anything, without knowing who it was. I've written on the white-board everything that's missing as well. I doubt I'll get it back. It's more the principle of the fact, rather than the items missing.

She can't *do* anything about what was already taken, but she can address future behavior by bringing it to everyone's attention and drawing up some consequences (often the only thing that deters a thief) for further transgressions. Who knows, she might get some leads as to who the culpret is...I wouldn't expect her to sit idly by.

IrishWillow
May. 28, 2010, 05:13 PM
Honestly... I think that much use of your stuff is really overkill. I would speak to your barn owner/manager and have them write a letter to all boarders, lesson kids/parents, leasors, etc and remind everyone that they are not to "borrow" other peoples things without permission.

That type of behavior is rude and obnoxious - my guess is that the person or people doing this think you are not noticing.

enjoytheride
May. 28, 2010, 05:44 PM
You should be able to purchase a stanley mobile job chest or a truckbed box for under $60 that have locks on them.

rivenoak
May. 28, 2010, 06:28 PM
Using the D-rings to secure a lock is a bad idea; they are easily pulled out. And then expensive to have replaced.

You can also obtain leather stamping tools that have the alphabet and can "brand" your strapgoods that way. This is what I do.
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Leather-Stamps/Easy-To-Do-Leather-Stamps/Easy-To-Do-Leather-Stamps.aspx

The other thing I do is engrave my last name or initials into all metal goods. I've even engraved my name onto stirrup bars on some saddles.

Guin
May. 28, 2010, 06:31 PM
There's this thing called a padlock.

ivy62
May. 28, 2010, 06:55 PM
I used to be at a large barn where things would be gone and then they might come back either broken and very dirty! Some people feel like they have a rite to anyones stuff....
I never borrow anything without asking and I expect the same in return...
Can you claim any of it on an insurance policy? I know my home owners would cover it if I had the receipts for theft....

danceronice
May. 28, 2010, 07:06 PM
There's just me and the BO right now (a new boarder is moving in soon with her horses, but it's still just three people, seven horses.) Small stuff like lead ropes--we'll grab each other's, borrow a squirt of Mane n' Tail if we're both bathing horses at the same time, etc. It would never in my wildest dreams occur to me to borrow TACK without asking, never mind walk off with it!

my_doran
May. 28, 2010, 07:28 PM
i ve had that happen lots too.its very disrespectful on their part.i now don't leave anything at barns i am at, because of that.i had a velvet helmet cover for one of my older helmets and found out it was on the BO daughters helmet..she tried to hide the fact of what she had done by switching hers for mine...how stupid.
i have had lot other things stolen as well.saddle pads girths,saddle covers the list goes on.some ive got back dirty,but some i havent.so your not alot in that vent

Hunter Mom
May. 28, 2010, 07:48 PM
You can also take things home with you. It's a PITA, but would make sure that things don't grow legs. I'm lucky - we have tack lockers that lock. All of us h/j folk know each other's combos, but it isn't a problem. We used to have one girl who would "borrow" but she quit riding. If something was missing, we all knew to look in her locker first.

ponycrazy111
May. 28, 2010, 08:06 PM
i think the best thing to do is get a lock for your tack trunk and saddle rack lock, also put a note on your tack trunk and make it say "your on camera, say cheese :D" just see what their reaction is haha

x
May. 28, 2010, 08:15 PM
I second the stanley trunk. It is big enough to fit a saddle, too. It does come with locks on it, but I would add a padlock, as the locks on it aren't that great...

superpony123
May. 28, 2010, 08:51 PM
wow, i'm sorry that's happened to you. it happens to me occasionally, but its more like i show up to ride and oh, gee, where'd my martingale go? or where did my nice sheepskin half pad that i blew all my money on go? i stupidly never wrote my name on the pad >:| i write my name on EVERYTHING. the one thing i dont, of COURSE it goes missing. but its very aggravating because i make it very clear that i do NOT appreciate someone using my stuff without at least ASKING first, and you know what if youre going to use my stuff, PUT IT BACK! i hould not have to hunt every nook and corner of the barn and be late for my lesson because someone just invited themselves to borrow it and then they leave it wherever they feel like it! more annoying is that i have expressed to these individuals that i do not want to see it happen again, and then of course it does. so i feel for you.

one thing to consider though, why dont you have a little chatskies with everyone? especially those people in the barn with chestnut horses, as at least one of them has used your saddle. make it very clear that you didnt appreciate your tack being used and then carelessly dirtied and left around, not put back in its right place, and people REALLY need to ask. call attention to the barn manager/trainer as well. if your saddle is distinct enough from other peoples or if it has a name plate, ask them to take a note once in a while at if your saddle is being used on another horse. and if so, ask that person to please take it off immediately

equidae
May. 28, 2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice!

As for my trainer doing anything, I wish she cared more.. She's just very laid back about EVERYTHING and probably won't want to 'offend' anyone by saying anything. I wish she would though, because I'm not the only one who's had problems. Just make a sort of PSA announcement about not using anyone else's stuff with out asking.. (Duh).

I was really late for my lesson one time because some dumb ass used my saddle, misplaced my bridle (I found it lopsided and all the fricking straps had been adjusted to a bigger horse and not put back down), left everything filthy and didn't even bother to put my stirrups back on the holes they were on (which took me forever to find because I'm really picky about stirrup length and have a million extra holes punched in them). So, when I got yelled at for being late I snapped back about all that crap. :mad:

equidae
May. 28, 2010, 09:47 PM
And yes, I will definitely be locking my bridle to my saddle too!

mep0726
May. 28, 2010, 10:02 PM
I understand how you feel. I went to ride my horse on Wednesday and found my girth muddy and with a large scratch on the leather. I am meticulous about my stuff, and at first thought that perhaps I scratched it and for some reason didn't notice. However, I remembered that I always ride with a sheepskin cover on my girth, so someone had to have borrowed out! :mad: Needless to say, I am putting a lock on my tack cubby tomorrow.

BeeHoney
May. 29, 2010, 12:27 AM
Yeah, I think the situation sounds really out of control. I can imagine a clueless student making a mistake here and there, or someone accidentally picking up the wrong girth/martingale, but your situation sounds really chaotic. Like it or not, your BO needs to do something to try to change the culture in her barn. Isn't her stuff getting stolen/ruined/misplaced as well?

Really, I think the best thing to do is to lock everything up or take it with you. Having your tack/equipment labelled is important, too, but only so you can quickly and clearly prove it is yours. I love the ideas for the saddle locks.

MelantheLLC
May. 29, 2010, 01:02 AM
Any chance it IS the BO? Reminds me of the time I got all tacked up and then stared at my saddle, thinking, "something isn't right."

lol my stirrups were gone. After hunting all over the barn, utterly baffled, the freaking trainer (not mine!) casually said "Oh yeah I needed them for another saddle."

Um? Of course she could have borrowed them if she'd asked, or I wouldn't have minded if she'd used them in a pinch and then PUT THEM BACK and it would have been polite to mention it.

She seemed to feel it was her due. Didn't even apologize.

equidae
May. 29, 2010, 10:21 AM
Any chance it IS the BO? Reminds me of the time I got all tacked up and then stared at my saddle, thinking, "something isn't right."

lol my stirrups were gone. After hunting all over the barn, utterly baffled, the freaking trainer (not mine!) casually said "Oh yeah I needed them for another saddle."

Um? Of course she could have borrowed them if she'd asked, or I wouldn't have minded if she'd used them in a pinch and then PUT THEM BACK and it would have been polite to mention it.

She seemed to feel it was her due. Didn't even apologize.

Hahah, nah, she has like 10 bridles and just as many martingales. And she knows how I am about my saddle and other stuff.. hopefully she wouldn't purposely send anyone in there to 'borrow' anything. (Althought I HAVE seen her do that with some people's stuff). I don't know, maybe she did. What that trainer did is outrageous! So totally inconsiderate.

enjoytheride
May. 29, 2010, 01:52 PM
Chances are if you've seen her do it to other people's trunks she's doing it to yours which isn't exactly a trainer I'd want to be giving money to. Especially since she is brushing it off and then getting angry at you for being late.

Get a bigger trunk this weekend (one big enough to fit your saddle) and lock everything up.

It's time for you to get reactive about this, don't be passive and keep hunting down your stuff.

rumblepony
May. 29, 2010, 03:12 PM
Happens at my barn too, though I don't think anyone has been so forthright as to borrow someones saddle without asking them first. I've lost more boots, martingales, lead ropes, saddle pads and girths than I can imagine. Apparently I use half a bottle of shampoo, flyspray, and detangler a day... silly, wasteful me. I do have a lockable trunk in which I can fit some of my stuff, which I see as the only solution.

UNLESS you could totally get some of these, and put up "Smile for the Camera! :D" signs, around the tackroom and barn area. Nobody needs to know that they're fake ;]
http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.com/Fake-Security-Cameras-c=28

mypaintwattie
May. 29, 2010, 03:54 PM
At my barn if it's not locked up it will grow legs and wander away. I have to lock everything- both of my tack lockers and even my feed bin. The only thing I really leave out is an old halter and lead rope for an emergency and my manure fork. I have the stanley trunk that I use for shows- if I were you OP I'd get something to lock everything up and not worry about offending anyone and bring up the matter with everyone you see, especially if they have a chestnut horse. Who knows, maybe one of them will spill the beans and say that it was the BO or trainer that gave permission. If that was the case I'd be looking at another barn...

Simbalism
May. 29, 2010, 04:49 PM
At a show barn where I boarded in the past we had a lot of kids. They constantly misplaced and lost their stuff and thought nothing about "borrowing" other boarders stuff. They went so far as taking the rubber foot rests out of stirrups, martingale stoppers, as well as bits off your bridle. They would also use paddock boots, helmets, saddle pads, fly spray,chaps, bridles, girths etc. It got so bad that the barn owner/trainer added locks to our tack lockers.

ReSomething
May. 29, 2010, 07:18 PM
"Culture of the barn" is quite possible. Right now my lesson program is full service, so I don't need to handle any tack unless I want to help out, and if I help out the trainer knows darn good and well who left the gel pad in the wrong spot. It's a small program and they can afford the time to do that.

I've been somewhere that was very busy and things grew legs, both boarders' and lesson program items. After a few episodes of where is *horse's* bridle? I began to buy my own tack and keep it in the mobile tack trunk, AKA my car LOL. Mostly what was happening was things were bieng misplaced, but keeping what I needed locked up in my car trunk made my lesson experience less stressful and also got me most of the basic tack I would need for the horse I was planning to get.

And BTW, labelling your stuff only helps to a certain extent, because some people just do.not.look - so it might slow down a thief but not somebody who needs a bridle *right NOW*.

mlcoursin
May. 29, 2010, 10:05 PM
This happened a lot at my old barn...when I finally got a horse and boarded it there, I brought my old wintec saddle in there. It was just for trail riding...well I didn't have a lock for my locker yet. Thought it would be fine for one night....not so much. Went missing, never to be seen again. I have my suspicions on who took it (there was an ad on ebay from a fellow boarder not a week later of a very similiar (the same) saddle). But of course could never prove it. I love the purple dye idea...would do it in a heartbeat!!!!

ManyDogs
May. 29, 2010, 10:12 PM
How about a rubber snake or one of those boingy things that jump out when the trunk is opened?

Aerial
May. 30, 2010, 12:41 AM
How about a rubber snake or one of those boingy things that jump out when the trunk is opened?

:lol:

Stamp your tack, and write your name on all pads, brushes, etc and then if you see anything with it??? :winkgrin:

Fun Size
May. 30, 2010, 01:09 AM
I would absolutely lose my mind. I have a lock on my trunk, but I never lock it. Mostly the padlock is for horse shows. We all had to evacuate from the fires last year, so I ran out and bought like 15 padlocks and all the boxes in our barn have keyed-alike padlocks. Trainer has a key, owner has a key. My saddle stays on a rack above my trunk, and we have racks all around the top of the tack rooms where the saddles go, and each has a masking tape label underneath so we each have our own spot.

If something was gone, that would be theft - and from the amount of things you are missing, it would be an expensive amount of stuff. Expensive enough for me to file a police report and put in a claim on the property owner's insurance! Boots, crops, pads - that can add up to over $500 real quick.

I have used other rider's saddles before, when mine was in the shop getting some work done, but always with permission and always returned sparkly clean and oiled.

I guess I am spoiled with mine being a full-training-full-service everyone trusts each other kind of place :)

equidae
May. 30, 2010, 12:33 PM
This happened a lot at my old barn...when I finally got a horse and boarded it there, I brought my old wintec saddle in there. It was just for trail riding...well I didn't have a lock for my locker yet. Thought it would be fine for one night....not so much. Went missing, never to be seen again. I have my suspicions on who took it (there was an ad on ebay from a fellow boarder not a week later of a very similiar (the same) saddle). But of course could never prove it. I love the purple dye idea...would do it in a heartbeat!!!!

OMG, now that's just vicious! (And quite stupid!) I hope you confronted the offender? And if so- what did they say? I would have filed a police report against them. Stealing YOUR stuff and selling it is bullshit. I wonder if that's what's happening with mine, since I can't find it ANYWHERE. Usually when things go missing I can find it somewhere..