PDA

View Full Version : Coolest (as in low heat) horse boots

jumpingmaya
May. 28, 2010, 11:57 AM
My eskadrons are now on their last leg... and I was wondering... in your experience what are the coolest horse boots that you have found?
Here in swampy Florida... it gets quite hot.. :eek:
I'm doing some research... but thought first hand experience might be the best way to go!
Thank you very much!! Would be used for flatwork and jumping- schooling only :)

islndgirl
May. 28, 2010, 04:19 PM
Not really sure if these are any cooler than any other boot out there, but I use plain old woof splint boots. Put them on everyday and flat and jump in them. They are cheap and come in a variety of colors if you like to coordinate! THey offer pretty good support and they are fairly light weight too. And I have thrown them in the washing machine before when they get kind of grungy looking. I live in a pretty hot and humid area and haven't had any problems with these!

klmck63
May. 28, 2010, 04:21 PM
My (uneducated) guess is that anything non-synthetic would be cooler than something like neoprene or rubber.

jn4jenny
May. 28, 2010, 11:06 PM
Try searching the eventing forum re: vented boots. There are lots of new-fangled boots that allow air to circulate against the leg.

Off the top of my head, a few such models are the Tri-zone Allsport, the Dalmart Eventers or Racers, and the vented models in the Premier Equine lineup.

Some people also go with open-front boots with breathable non-neoprene lining such as Equifit or Thinline.

My horse goes in the Premier Equine brushing boots in the front and the Premier Equine KK3's in the back. Today after our ride in 88 degrees + humidity, most of him was sweaty. But his legs were dry and room temperature. If I'd tried that last summer in our Woof Brushing Boots, his legs would have been sticky and hot. Although I will say that the Woofs wear like iron and they were my everyday boots for nearly 4 years. They could probably go another 4 years if I asked them to!

wildlifer
May. 28, 2010, 11:20 PM
NEW Airoflow boots. I just got them and they are unreally awesome. They are XC boots, but air can flow around entire leg. After extremely humid school the other day, horse was dripping in sweat. His legs were dry. Add to that they are machine washable, I am in mad mad love.

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 4, 2010, 10:28 PM
Hey there Wildlifer.... I'm hoping you get this before Midnight so I can take advantage of the VTO sale.....
Would you recommend the NEW's airoflows for XC schooling? Do you think they are super protective too? My horse just sliced his cannon bone up with his studs cause his eskies slipped down so I'm boot shopping. They sound very protective and breathable, but.... I'm concerned as I want to get him the best boot possible.

Also, what size would you suggest. I've got him the shoot... I think medium fronts and large eskadrons... it's two straps in front and three in back. So I was thinking medium for front and large for back. He's 16.2 and a pretty decent sized guy. Not very petite but not drafty or stocky either. Thanks!

SkipChange
Jul. 4, 2010, 10:33 PM
I think T-boots are supposed to be on the cooler side as well, although these boots should not be used on XC as the liners can hold water.