PDA

View Full Version : Half or Full pads in the Hunter ring

KitKat987
May. 27, 2010, 11:58 AM
Just an unrated show, so I'm sure it probably doesn't matter a whole bunch, but it's been I dunno, 14 years since my last show..... I have a nice half pad and plenty of square pads. Can I just use the half or should I go find a regular full pad?

Hunter Mom
May. 27, 2010, 12:07 PM
If it's a smaller show, i wouldn't worry about it, but you rarely see the half-pad any more in our area. The regular pad is so much more classic IMO, anyhow.

JumpWithPanache
May. 27, 2010, 12:10 PM
My horse likes her sheepskin half pad better than any full pads that I've had on her. So that's what we show in.

indygirl2560
May. 27, 2010, 12:15 PM
The half pad trend is still somewhat "alive" in my area, and as long as it fits the saddle and looks nice, then I don't see a problem with it. I do think a nice, fitted full pad looks better though.

skrgirl
May. 27, 2010, 12:27 PM
I show in my half pad. Dont like how far off the horse my leg sits with a full pad.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 27, 2010, 12:35 PM
I like the half pad on my horse- it accentuates his barrel and makes him look more substantial, which is nice because he's just a tick too small for me.

Either option is totally acceptable, and should be determined based on the individual horse- some look great in a half pad, some look better in a fitted pad.

EquineRacers
May. 27, 2010, 07:20 PM
I think it depends on how it looks on your horse. My larger TB looks terrible in it, but my thinner one looks great! Go with what appears and fit best on your horse!

KitKat987
May. 27, 2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll probably just use the half pad rather than shelling out big bucks on a new one. I don't plan to do hunters, more focused on eventing at the moment, so it's just more of an outing at this point.

GreystoneKC
May. 27, 2010, 10:18 PM
I personally like the look of a classic white fitted pad. That being said, I have one horse in the barn who goes in just his Mattes pad. Classic pads seem to bind at the withers too much for him. I also recently started trying another student's horse with only the Mattes pad and I think that may be helping him too (he has been having some mild back issues due to his owner's ill-fitting saddle and using my own saddle with just the Mattes pad seems to be working).

I say don't worry about trends, use what works best for your horse. If your horse goes well in anything, use what you like best.

alteringwego
May. 28, 2010, 08:57 AM
I had a friend who rode her 18 hand TB in a half pad. He was a hard keeper and it always made him look more of the part. Doesn't on a lot though. Typically not on WBs because they are rounder by nature.