PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Breeding Classes USEF

wolfpackfan
May. 27, 2010, 09:35 AM
We have purchased a 3 year old little welsh pony. We are going to attend a show in a few weeks (USEF AA). They offer a "Breeding Division". It has a class for foal, yearling, two year old, and three year old.

How do these classes work and what are they all about. I assume they are like conformation classes? Can my daughter who rides in the mediums and does the model and conformation classes be the person that handles the pony?

Basically I need a tutorial about this! Educate me please!:D

MHM
May. 27, 2010, 10:31 AM
It's run just like a pony model class- except the entries may not be as tame. :lol:

The entries line up while the judge looks at them, jog, and line up again. Sometimes the jog can be a little "exciting" if the young ones misbehave.

I believe juniors are allowed to show in the division, but bear in mind that many of the handlers may be professionals who have had lots of practice. ;)

wolfpackfan
May. 27, 2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the response. So it is judged on the same things as a model class?

What might a professional handler do that is different? Perhaps not kick the dirt and look at the clouds when waiting on the judge to come around like my 10 year old does???:lol:

So I assume they would be braided up and fake tail and all? Thanks.

MHM
May. 27, 2010, 10:57 AM
Yes, it is judged just like a model class, on conformation and movement. The pony should be immaculately turned out, braids and all. It's like a beauty pageant- you wouldn't show up for the swimsuit competition in your bathrobe and bunny slippers.

A professional handler will usually have skills that far exceed a 10 year old's to stand up the entry to show off the animal's best features, and downplay any flaws.

Which is not to say your daughter shouldn't do it, just that you shouldn't be surprised if the results reflect the handler's skill as much as the animal's attributes.

It also depends on where you are. Some areas don't have many entries for the Hunter Breeding division, so you could be the only one in the class, or there could be a dozen or more in it. A phone call to the show manager would give you an idea of what to expect on that front.

Janet
May. 27, 2010, 11:08 AM
Is this "Hunter Breeding" or "Pony Hunter Breeding"?

Ben and Me
May. 27, 2010, 12:25 PM
Here is a recent article from the Chronicle that gives a bit of an overview -- the fact that she is called very young at 26 is telling, I think: ;)

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/emily-belin-fresh-face-hunter-breeding-ring

You might also want to PM lauriep about it -- she is very involved in the hunter breeding world, and might have some good tips about the particular show y'all are attending.

wolfpackfan
May. 27, 2010, 02:03 PM
Wow great advice. This is Pony Hunter Breeding Division at Deep Run Horse Show in Va.

If we did it we would be doing it just for fun and to take the little guy along to a show. Just was not sure what would be expected or if there were rules and expectations I should know about. All great advice you guys!

MHM
May. 27, 2010, 02:17 PM
Wow great advice. This is Pony Hunter Breeding Division at Deep Run Horse Show in Va.

I would imagine LaurieP would know all about this show if you want to PM her, though she is at Devon right now, so it may take a little time for her to respond.

Virginia is an area that is more likely to have a number of entries in the classes. I would be inclined to think long and hard about sending a young kid into a ring full of young ponies. Even if your own pony behaves perfectly, you don't know what the others might do.

Safety first. :)

Limerick
May. 27, 2010, 02:39 PM
Congrats!!!! Exciting stuff!! I would definitely talk to Laurie P-she knows how to show the ponies and has had a lot of success with pony breeding. How is your pony bred? Would love to see pics!! :)

Might be time to remind T. how to jog and stand up a young one. ;)

wolfpackfan
May. 27, 2010, 02:52 PM
Let me see here reading this breeding....

Rosmels Notorious and Whispering Shadow. It is a Blueridge Pony and he is a roan. Really cute little guy with a cute face.

http://www.bigeq.com/pony-hunters.php?prosp&cpage=2#pager

That is a link to Big Eq. He is Blueridge Valentino.

He is a cute little guy. We will have a lot of fun with him.

Limerick
May. 27, 2010, 03:16 PM
Awwww-he looks adorable!!! Congrats again.

According to Ryegate, Laurie P is having a fabulous Devon so definitely try to get some advice from her. :)

lauriep
May. 28, 2010, 10:52 AM
Here I am! Slept in this morning and need to get going, but I'll give you a little advice. Thanks for the props, you guys:D

Out here, we virtually never see a child in the PB or HB rings. Never. Nor would I recommend it. Remember that in the pony models/conformation the kids are showing against other kids AND showing older, seasoned ponies. Even the adult handlers can have a little difficulty now and then with these babies. And Deep Run can bring out a lot of local people who bring babies that have never been anywhere and will be quite, um, "animated!"

The pony must be completely "tricked out", but no fake tail, please. Age appropriate length tails are just fine. In all my years, I have yet to add a fake tail. He looks like he has plenty of tail. Trim ears (inside too), face, jaw, legs coronet bands. Have a well fitted bridle with a nice D bit (full cheek is acceptable, just not popular right now).

Deep Run PB/HB is held in the pony club ring, away from the rest of the show, so is reasonably quiet. Sometimes we have a big entry, sometimes not. We'll bring quite a few, I suspect, because it is our "home" show. All the major players in VA will be there - Richard Taylor, Oliver Brown, us, and a lot of good amateur handlers or breeders.

Let me know if you have any other questions!