PDA

View Full Version : Wide close contacts

Rival
May. 27, 2010, 12:39 AM
Are there any mid priced close contacts that are good for wide horses? The exchangable gullet systems are too narrow and/or the wrong shape.

pintopiaffe
May. 27, 2010, 03:18 AM
Duett has two CC models, the Presto & the Allegro (http://www.duettsaddles.com/jumping.htm)that are made specifically for the wide-flat back, and go from wide, to extra-wide, to stupid-wide. They are definitely affordable. They are a little deeper than some cc's, but no deeper than my Stubben was.

Albion and Black County both have models made on 'hoop' trees, problem is they are rarer than hen's teeth to find used.

If you can get your hands on an old Passier Century, they can be widened significantly, and because of the shortened points, fit a wide range of backs.

Prestige can be widened a few cm, if the shape of the tree is right, you can sometimes snag a used one fairly cheap. The Red Fox model runs around $1600 new on sale. You'd want to get as large a tree size as you can to start (36 or 37cm) and widen from there.

Flash44
May. 27, 2010, 08:12 AM
I have a 38 cm Duett Presto for Flash Jr's pony and it's very very comfy. It does have significant knee rolls, so it's not a pancake saddle if that is what you are looking for. And Nancy Temple is wonderful to deal with.

JB
May. 27, 2010, 09:32 AM
What is wrong about the shape of the Bates/Wintecs? That would help :)

If it's because they are too A-frame in shape, and your horse needs an upside down U shape, then Duett is worth looking into, as is Black Country. But even Prestige saddles somehow fit more like a U in the wider sizes.

But if the front shape of those is fine, and they are either too curvy or too flat for the shape of his back, front to back, that's a whole 'nother ball game. The Duetts are on the flatter side, while Prestige is heading towards a bit curvier but still not *curvy*.

What is "mid-priced" to you?

Come Shine
May. 27, 2010, 09:48 AM
My wiiiiidddeee pony goes in a Barnsby now and it is perfect. She was in a Bates with the widest gullet before.

rabicon
May. 27, 2010, 10:22 AM
My guys is an xtra wide in the stubben dressage saddle so when I bought his cc saddle and wanted something not that expensive because I spent so much on the stubben I got a courbette spring tree. works great on him and I can also use it on other horses.

NE_Rider
May. 27, 2010, 11:27 AM
When I was searching for a very wide CC saddle, Thornhill (http://www.thornhillusa.com/saddles/jump_saddle.html) was recommended to me as having some very wide trees. They are decent saddles at a good price. Never tried one (found another saddle), but would definitely look into it!!!

Happy saddle hunting!!!