PDA

View Full Version : do you display our ribbons at home?

TheBrownHorse
May. 26, 2010, 09:24 PM
I'm packing up my childhood room and put all my ribbons in a bag to take to my new condo where I will be living alone (with my doggy and kitty of course!) But it got me to thinking-- when I was young I evented, and those ribbons were gold-- three days of showing and if you were lucky you came home with something. I was very active and successful in CA and have about seven of my top placings and my area IV champion ribbon hung up, but a lot already packed in a closet. Now I show H/J and absolutely love it, but I come home with about 6 ribbons a show (2 classes f/s/s) and not sure I want to display this growing pile! but, the ones from my junior years in the eventing world are pretty important to me and would like to keep them around. In several months I'll be 20, so still young, but have moved out of that horse poster and ribbon plastered wall stage.

So. Here are the questions.

I've lived alone in So Cal before while I was in school, then moved back up north after a semester (it wasn't a long term thing, getting treatment for some health stuff) and didn't have anything but a few horsey photos around the apartment. Now I'm moving into my "big girl" house, and while I love love love these ribbons, at what point to I just pack them away? I don't even know where I'd put them in my new house anyways.

Also, the growing pile of boxes with schooling ribbons and h/j ribbons are taking up space. They're not "high" placing, lots of 4ths and 5ths, and the schooling has a good chunk of 1-3rds, but should I find someone to make a quilt out of these? How do I go about this? Is it possible to do it myself (have a sewing machine)?

I guess it's bittersweet packing up my childhood bedroom.

Do you guys have a place where you keep ribbons up? A room? or are they just packed safely away?

TIA
Rachel

Aven
May. 26, 2010, 09:35 PM
Ribbons were taking over my house lol. (not horse ribbons, dog show ribbons, agility, obedience and conformation) I decided to make pillows.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd125/Grey-Run/_IGP6158.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd125/Grey-Run/_IGP6160.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd125/Grey-Run/_IGP6156.jpg

OneMoreTime
May. 26, 2010, 09:36 PM
I actually have mine on a wall in my office at work - I'm a college professor (and MUCH older than you), so it balances the other walls full of bookshelves.

I know this probably doesn't help you a ton, but it is an option. There are also people who make lovely ribbon quilts - search the forum for those posts, too. I may do that for my daughter when she gets older.

superpony123
May. 26, 2010, 09:42 PM
i'm only 18 so i guess i cant say i;m in your shoes, but sort of similar: i'm about about to switch rooms in my house with the guest room (going to a university nearby, so i plan to come home on weekends, so it doesnt seem like a waste to move rooms just as im about to go to college!) and i'm wondering, hm, do i really *want* to take up another wall with ribbons? right now i have an entire wall literalyl covered :/ it collects a lot of dust, and i dont have the time to individually wipe each one down every week or so. i have a lot of allergy problems, so my current room is really just working against me!

my plan for my new room is to hang up my champions/reserves/yr and circuit awards (not a million of those, plus theyre pretty, so it seems reasonable) and some of my "special ones" (first blues, ribbons from big A's that my old pony won after i made him into a hunter from a jumper, etc) so i'm thinking i'm going to try to limit myself to 15 or so ribbons. i may hang a small line just for "most recently won" sort of ribbons, and then when the next show comes i'll take those down and put the new ones up. the other hundred or so i want to wipe down with a rag and store in rubbermaid bins somewhere convenient enough that i can put recent ones in there if theyre "nothing special" i guess. but i know that i'm too nostalgic and when i am older and have a house i will want to put them allover the place (not necessarily cover a wall, but a friend of mine's mom used to ride and she hangs her ribbons around the house, theyre nicely placed so theyre not obnoxious but it's charming. she has a foxhunt/horse themed half-bath, so she hangs her old horse show ribbons at the top of a mirror and at the very top of one of the walls. it's a unique decorative touch.

so perhaps you could find various locations throughout your new home to put a few here and there. i think it's a nice conversation piece.

i may want to turn some into ribbon quilts or pillows when i'm older. i cant think of the names of some makers, but i know theres a ton of threads on here about it, all you have to do is search 'ribbon quilt' on here :)

nlk
May. 26, 2010, 10:10 PM
I know how you feel. I'm mid twenties and have three boxes in the top of my closet. I'm VERY nostalgic so I know they're not going anywhere. My office is my " horse place" otherwise my house would be over run!! My husband might also dis-own me...

I keep my pictures in there. I also have two yr end ribbons won by two of my ponies this last year. I plan on making it my little trophy room I just haven't got there yet!

KristieBee
May. 26, 2010, 10:18 PM
here's what i do with the most sentimental/important ribbons :)

i tend to get rid of the rest because you're right, they do stack up! i've heard you can donate them, but not sure how that works.

http://img.skitch.com/20100527-d9y89idq2574n25jd52t78pb6.jpg

http://img.skitch.com/20100527-te1y5ycyegcbbh2k1m6pg2u428.jpg

SarahandSam
May. 26, 2010, 10:49 PM
If they make you happy when you see them, display them. (:

There's plenty of options--quilt, pillows, vases, hanging display. But if you love them and they're meaningful, find a place to put them, even if they're on the inside of a closet door and you're pleasantly surprised by them once a day. My attitude is that whatever memories you want to remember deserve to be put in a place where they'll be remembered often.

RyuEquestrian
May. 26, 2010, 11:03 PM
We put ours in glass vases and put them in a display case. This keeps them from fading and they look like colorful candy bowls.

pic (http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs122.snc1/5256_541868938245_10402430_32141955_1458271_n.jpg)

Pic (http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs122.snc1/5256_541868933255_10402430_32141954_706356_n.jpg)

mvp
May. 26, 2010, 11:13 PM
Find your own logic.

When I sold my broodmare, her inspection ribbons went with her to the new owner.

The horse I bred had his ribbons up at my last apartment that had a fugly wall to be covered. They were all up. Sorted by color. It was like his resume. It doesn't take a stats program to see that he's quite the second place/reserve champion kind of horse. But I love having his whole resume around.

mypaintwattie
May. 27, 2010, 01:29 AM
I love my ribbons, and keep them all. I recently moved back home, and am staying in the guest room, so right now all I display are my champion and reserve ribbons and the occasional trophy or plaque. When I get my room back in a few months you bet all of the ribbons are coming out of the boxes and will be hung on the walls! I figure that I worked hard for them and so I want to display them proudly.

Wonders12
May. 27, 2010, 02:36 AM
Well unlike most of you, I don't have a lot of ribbons, so all of mine are hung up. (Less than 10) :lol:

However, I have been in a lot of ribbon-filled houses. Does that count? ;) Anyways, I'm a fan of the vases. If you get ones with tops, they don't get dusty, fade less, and you can keep whichever ones are important to you. You can either display them all in one area (like a display case) or put them around you house as decorations, bookends, etc.

my_doran
May. 27, 2010, 07:16 AM
unfortunately ALL my ribbons have been thrown out in a moving disaster:(....before i could properly display them.
i like the quilt and pillow ideas for when i start my new stack.i also had the idea of getting those poster display thingys, to display my best ones and hang them on my wall.

gusbabe
May. 27, 2010, 08:47 AM
My DD is still actively showing but... She decided to use her champion ribbons as her curtain on her bedroom window. The ones that were for around the horses neck hang on the ends to provide soem length. The other ribbons she has around her room as a border at the top of her walls. We used thin wire and small nails spaced about a foot apart to hang the border ribbons. The window curtain ribbosn just hang on the curtain rod.

Zu Zu
May. 27, 2010, 08:52 AM
Sadly ~ this is still on my "to Do" list ~ after having moved years ago... still packed up !:eek::lol:

caradino
May. 27, 2010, 08:57 AM
i still live with my parents, and my bedroom is very tiny, so i don't have a lot of space for my ribbons!

my one big IHSA regional ribbon is hung on a skinny section of wall in a corner, and i have "important" ribbons hung on my curtain rod. these include all first, second, and third place ribbons from my college days, as well as my one lonely reserve champion ribbon, and ribbons from my most recent forays into jumperland. the rest are packed into shoeboxes and stacked on the top shelf of my closet. maybe one day i'll make a quilt or something.

LaraNSpeedy
May. 27, 2010, 09:07 AM
Actually - my childhood ribbons except one are all in boxes. Most of the ribbons I have won the last few years are in my barn. I really hang them to inspire my riding students. And the tope edges of the tack room are high and boring looking so I just hang them along there - all colors BECAUSE I want the kids to understand that its more about the accomplishment than the placing - its more of an accomplishment to get a Blue - but if you are on - say a large pony that was bought for $100 that is such a mutt you cant guess the breeding - and beat horses at local A level pony hunters and get a 5th - WOW, you may display that thank you very much and that ribbon is actually probably a better accomplishment than when I won three first places and the high point in dressage at a recogn show at first level when I was actually on a third level horse that I showed at the level because he was coming back from the year before having a major surgury on his stifle. I felt badly actually and HATE looking at those ribbons but I really did not think he could have competed higher than first level with only 5 months back after a year off. I dont even display those ribbons. But whenever I see my student's 5th place - I want to put light around it!

Also, the one ribbon I keep out from my childhood I won in large pony hunters when I was 13 years old at Devon championships and I had a fever of 105 - I got a 6th place. And then I withdrew and went and slept in the camper. I had gone the year before and won nothing. So that first class over fences, I got a 6th out of so many riders and I was sick - and I was happy.

So I guess its a personal thing - what do you feel about your ribbons? If you do not have the space, I would box them up - my daughter LOVES to see all my ribbons and my riding students are in awe and I think its good for students and clients to be in awe (hee hee right?), BUT I do not have enough room for all of them and putting them all over the place is a little tacky.

But having them up in the tack room - the recent ones - I think it brightens up the tack room and inspires them. But for me, I know the ribbons are likely to get dirty etc - but I dnt care really. The ones I put in my room are the very few that were more important because of the memories behind them.

rabicon
May. 27, 2010, 09:20 AM
I'm in my 30's and I have mine hung up :lol: Not all of them because there are to many so alot are in boxes in the basement but they good ones are on a rack that they hang on and the 2nd and 3rds that I'm proud of are on a rack in the guest bedroom. I like them and they show how much hard work my horse and I put in to this so I like to keep them out. My daughter has a few (has only done a few shows, shes 9) and has hers in her room hanging with her softball trophies. I do like the vase idea because I'm running out of hanging room. Never thought of that, I'm going to try it.

dani0303
May. 27, 2010, 09:22 AM
Unfortunately (for display purposes) I have ribbons collected from approx. 18 years of showing, which is A LOT of ribbons. Right now I only have my championships and 1 reserve (zone yr. end award) hanging up as that takes up pretty much 1 wall of my fairly small apartment. The others are stored in big rubbermaid boxes in my parent's attic. One day I'll get around to having a quilt made....one day.

Noplainjane
May. 27, 2010, 09:30 AM
Do whatever you want. It should only matter to you.

caradino
May. 27, 2010, 09:36 AM
sorry, me again!

from reading all the posts it seems like you need to:

1. figure out which ribbons are most important and meaningful to you (won on a particular horse? first place and champions? middle-of-the road ribbons won in really good company?)

2. decide on an attractive way to display those few, whether it be finding wall space to hang them, making a quilt or pillows, or putting them in a vase.

:)

hntrjmprpro45
May. 27, 2010, 09:48 AM
I hang up my year end champ and reserve ribbons in the tack room plus a few "special" ribbons (like a pony finals ribbon from back in the day). All other year end ribbons go in a storage box. All normal show ribbons either go in the trash or get recycled (given back to the show management). However, I find ribbons hiding here and there- usually because I was too tired at the end of the show to do something with them. I put some of my medals in a frame (though I still find them hiding in tack trunks and horse trailers), plaques hopefully get put on the wall if they weren't damaged or lost during a move, and I have some breed show belt buckles that are MIA- but when/if I find them again, I am going to put them on display on a trophy shelf in the tack room.

In my opinion you should hang whatever you are proud of. If an eighth place in a walk trot class was a crowning achievement then put it up! I really like the ribbon vases and pillows- very creative and nice in a home!

mvp
May. 27, 2010, 10:10 AM
A little OT, but this is a problem with the English world-- we rarely win belt buckles as do the westerners. I have seen some 1980s ones from Pacific Coast Horseman's Association.

What to do with your winnings? Honey, hold your jeans up! Problem solved.

GoodAsGold
May. 27, 2010, 11:12 AM
Can I just say I love this thread? My ribbons are in boxes and I've got no idea what to do with them, but they are so pretty I don't want to just leave them there.

Thanks for all the ideas!

showhorsegallery
May. 27, 2010, 11:20 AM
You can also make a quilt out of them:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_q1Oj7g4nt54/SwnmVO43VwI/AAAAAAAABm0/M0sxsWiTp3I/s1600/Ribbon+Quilt.jpg

Personally I've been thinking about making a framed display out of mine. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Hunter/JumperMom
May. 27, 2010, 11:35 AM
We are in the midst of remodeling and one of the rooms was my daughters, she had EVERY ribbon ever won on her wall, way over 200, she picked up the special ribbons, and I sent the rest of to Sarah at www.ribbonquilts.com, so for her graduation present she will be getting a very large ribbon quilt! Which will look so much nicer than the dust collection that was on her wall.

Going forward, she was given one of those pretty wooden holders that you get at Beval, the "special ribbons" will go on that.

jump4me
May. 27, 2010, 11:38 AM
A friend of mine (much older than you or me, shes in her 50s) has collected MANY ribbons throughout the years, as she started showing at age 6 or 7 I think, and has shown in hunters, jumpers, dressage, saddleseat, and hunter breeding at various times through all the years. What she's done is picked out and kept her most important/favorite ribbons and put some of them on a ribbon display rack thing, which hangs on her bedroom door. The rest of the special ones hang as a "curtain" on a big window, (window is shaded by trees outside so they don't fade) and a few others decorate a lamp shade and it all looks awesome. Her whole house is decorated with antique horse related stuff, REALLY nice stuff, so the whole effect is WOW THATS GORGEOUS!!! haha.

She also has a box with others that she likes to keep but not have on display, but she still has them and can open the box to "visit" them any time.

My ribbons are mostly hung on my closet door, a few in other random places...

Dramapony_misty
May. 27, 2010, 11:56 AM
For unwanted ribbons, search the Giveaways forum. There have been several people who are looking for ribbons for fun-shows,riding camps, handicapp riding programs and the like.

I culled through my ribbons (as they covered a whole wall in my old room), and still have way too many. Right now most of the "keepers" are in a box with my long ISHA ribbons and more recent champion/reserve ribbons displayed on my wall.

ddashaq
May. 27, 2010, 12:54 PM
I am in my mid-30s and hang mine up, too, mostly because I won them with my current horse. They are part of the decor for my spare room, since it is decidedly horsey. They are strung across the top of the window for now, but I only have about 20.

Mimi La Rue
May. 27, 2010, 01:02 PM
My mom threw all of mine out when she moved to another house when I showed a lot as a kid/teen. :(

I only have 1 current ribbon and that's hung up in front of my trainers office. Everyone usually puts their ribbons they won throughout the year on a line to be displayed.

leilatigress
May. 27, 2010, 01:20 PM
I won enough belt buckles to hold up hundreds of pants. Most of them I tossed or pawned and the few I kept I displayed with a pic of the horse I won them on. It works wonders. Since the DD shows on a borrowed pony and has only actually won 2 ribbons this thread gives me some ideas of what to do with all those ribbons she hopes to get. I love the pillow and quilt idea and will likely do that. Shallow shadow box with pic of child and pony with her first ribbons is what we did for the very first ribbons. After I managed to pry them out of her hands. :)

KristieBee
May. 27, 2010, 01:22 PM
A little OT, but this is a problem with the English world-- we rarely win belt buckles as do the westerners. I have seen some 1980s ones from Pacific Coast Horseman's Association.

What to do with your winnings? Honey, hold your jeans up! Problem solved.

haha I agree! i *looks around furtively* did barrel racing/gymkhanas until i was 13. i won several year end buckles - now I'm in my 30s and I still *love* to rock them! :) a favorite combo is on a python belt w. jeans, matching python stilettos and a black button up oxford shirt. ok ok totally off topic...lol sorry!

OP - another cool way to go for SUPER special vintage ribbons is framed shadowboxes. often with a photo included as well. my old trainer has those - so pretty!

luvs2ridewbs
May. 27, 2010, 01:58 PM
Where does one get a shadow box like that?

BigMick
May. 27, 2010, 02:21 PM
here's what i do with the most sentimental/important ribbons :)

I love that! How did you do it? Did you cut off the tails, or just hide them behind the rosette?

KristieBee
May. 27, 2010, 02:30 PM
I love that! How did you do it? Did you cut off the tails, or just hide them behind the rosette?

i rolled them up and tucked them under the metal hook. they unfold pretty nicely although i'm sure they'll be crimped in a few years. :) nothing that couldn't be gently ironed out for a quilt if it comes to that one day!

kellyb
May. 27, 2010, 02:41 PM
I made a wall hanging out of mine. I am very very happy with how it turned out!

http://keliente.com/ribbon1.jpg

Since that photo I added a 1"x1" border around the edges, then screwed on a giant piece of plexi glass, and then covered the edges with a pretty trim that I stained from Lowe's. It looks really, really nice (well, until you get 5" away from it and see I'm not a carpenter by trade!). It is hanging in our guest room and it looks perfect there.

Void
May. 27, 2010, 02:43 PM
Where does one get a shadow box like that?

Michael's/Richard's/Aaron Brothers most mainstream arts and craft stores have them as do frame shops.

TBrescue
May. 27, 2010, 02:53 PM
My mom threw all of mine out when she moved to another house when I showed a lot as a kid/teen. :(

So did mine....all the ribbons I have won as an adult are hanging on the hall wall in my house, along with some great show pix of my rescued TB.

bear necessities
May. 27, 2010, 04:38 PM
I made a wall hanging out of mine. I am very very happy with how it turned out!

http://keliente.com/ribbon1.jpg

Since that photo I added a 1"x1" border around the edges, then screwed on a giant piece of plexi glass, and then covered the edges with a pretty trim that I stained from Lowe's. It looks really, really nice (well, until you get 5" away from it and see I'm not a carpenter by trade!). It is hanging in our guest room and it looks perfect there.

That's so cool!! I'm 21 and split my time between living at home and school. My horse is up near school, so current ribbons get hooked on my closet at my house near school. But the millions of other ribbons from the past...10+ years of showing are displayed on a latice my dad put up on my wall at home. Like a flower latice haha but it works perfectly and the criss crosses make it more interesting then just lining them up and they are all neatly contained. Plus it just so happened to fit perfectly next to a big armoire I have with just enough room on the other side to put another one up if needed. Which will be very soon!

scotchie
May. 28, 2010, 07:12 AM
H/J mom- I hope you and your daughter love your quilt! It's one of the biggest ones I've made! It came out so pretty :)

Hunter/JumperMom
May. 28, 2010, 07:41 AM
H/J mom- I hope you and your daughter love your quilt! It's one of the biggest ones I've made! It came out so pretty :)

I was just going to comment!! Beautiful! She loves it, I wasn't going to show her, but jut couldn't resist! Now she thinks I should have another one made with all the leftovers!! haha!!

As my husband said reality is, that is a million dollar quilt!!! dad's - every ribbon has a price!! ;)

scotchie
May. 28, 2010, 09:13 AM
Ha! I never thought about it that way! Hubby is too funny! Glad DD loves it- she worked very hard for it!

tarheelmd07
May. 28, 2010, 10:14 AM
I had lots of my ribbons displayed in my house when I lived by myself - I had a large window in my bedroom (4-windows wide!) and I used the ribbons as a valance. Now, my non horsey husband didn't want ribbon curtains in the house, so I've had to come up with an alternate way of displaying them. I liked the idea of putting them in vases...and I ended up buying several of these large glass candy jars (with lids, so they don't get dusty):
http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking-2-Gallon-Heritage-Glass/dp/B000KKI7GY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1275051975&sr=8-4
and putting them on top of the bookshelves in our home office - I separated the ribbons by color, and they look really nice against the dark green walls and dark wood bookshelves....I'll have to get some photos!

touchstone-
May. 28, 2010, 12:07 PM
I don't save everything any more. Only ribbons I'm really proud of.

I keep them all in a giant basket, with the streamers spilling over the edges--and put the basket on top of a tall bookcase. I like this solution, because it takes advantage of all the colors, and lets me see many ribbons at once, but it doesn't take over my home decor. Every few years, I go through and cull some that seem less memorable after the passage of time.

scotchie
May. 28, 2010, 12:20 PM
Wow- I guess Hodges Badge likes my quilts!!! They just emailed me asking permission to include a link to me on their website! :eek:

homeland
May. 28, 2010, 04:27 PM
Custom ribbon boxes,check them out www.mustphoto.com

ridingschmedly
May. 28, 2010, 06:30 PM
I string them along the walls in my bedroom, well, I did when I was younger. Now they are either in boxes, becasue I have so many, or my mom frames them and hangs them around the house, but only if they are 1st or champion/reserve champions. I love showing off my horsey side!

islndgirl
May. 28, 2010, 07:49 PM
Wow...those custom ribbon boxes are gorgeous... gotta see if I can talk the DH into making me one of those... :)