PDA

View Full Version : Nick Karazissis

Twisting
May. 26, 2010, 09:44 PM
So Mr. Karazissis is heading to Hawaii in June and I've got the opportunity to take a lesson with him. Mostly I'm wondering if it's worth both of our time. I'm a fairly laid back rider, I'm working on improving my young horse but I'm not super gung-ho about racing up the levels. Mostly I'm just enjoying the journey.

My boy and I are only just starting to do 2'3" reliably, would it be worth an old re-rider's time to take a lesson with him?

Wanderluster
May. 26, 2010, 10:24 PM
You will have a very constructive and positive experience with Nick. He is spot on with his advice and a gentleman in the delivery of the message. ;)

norcalammie
May. 26, 2010, 11:39 PM
Although I have never riden with Nick I have shown under him. He would talk to exhibitors and tell them why he placed them where he did in a very friendly and supportive manner. I think you would enjoy a lesson from him.

mew
May. 26, 2010, 11:56 PM
100% worth it at any level, he is wonderful.

Mukluk
May. 27, 2010, 01:00 AM
Met him at the equine affaire in Pomona last February. Very very nice man and his feedback to the riders in the clinic was both kind and constructive. I really like him. Ironically his barn is within 3 miles of where I grew up, but I now live farther North. Would love to take a lesson with him, I was very impressed.

MR
May. 27, 2010, 01:25 AM
Absolutely! I've cliniced with him before and had a great, educational time. The clinic I did was three days, and he built from day-to-day (but there were riders who only rode 1 day, instead of all 3).

There were a bunch of different levels, including some 2-2'3"ers. He put as much effort into those lower groups as our 3'+. Everyone had a great time. We even had a casual dinner with him at the barn owner's house on the 2nd night & got the chance to talk with him more informally. Very interesting man & very friendly.

One tip: Before riding with him, I asked a friend (who grew up riding with Nick in LA) if she had any suggestions. She suggested I carry a dressage whip - as he prefers them. I'm so glad I did! Not only did he comment on it as an excellent schooling tool (since you can use it for adding impulsion without compromising your hand position vs having to take one hand off the rein to use a bat), but he even used it at one point to demonstrate compression of the horse (energy from behind; collection in front). Mind you, I'm a h/j rider but carry a dressage whip daily anyhow, so it was something I was used to holding/carrying. :)

I dressed in "normal" clinic garb (tucked-in polo shirt, clean tall boots, horse in "show ready" tack), but there were some riders who weren't as polished & he didn't seem to mind too much.

Twisting
May. 27, 2010, 01:57 AM
Thank you all for the encouragement. I was mostly just lacking a bit of confidence As I'm 100% positive I would learn a ton from working with him. I'll have to see what I can arrange. I'm trying to talk a couple other folks at my barn into jumping on the band wagon. To make it worth the trip to the North Shore for him (or to share trailoring fees).

Peggy
May. 27, 2010, 02:17 AM
Yes, definitely worth your time. Class act. Aside from knowing him casually for 40 years or so and having a few friends who ride/rode with him, I watched him at Equine Affaire. Every horse (or should I say equine, since there was a mule in the group!) and rider improved over the course of the session. The format of having a large audience and a rather mixed group limited what he could do, but I was still impressed by what he was able to accomplish.

He didn't seem to think much of jointed pelhams (preferred mullen mouths)

HOOF123
May. 27, 2010, 02:29 AM
he is to the point and i believe a very good teacher i was at the horse expo in md and saw him there and he was doing a clinic i watch him the whole time

rugbygirl
May. 27, 2010, 01:39 PM
He was good at the Mane Event in Canada, but he restricted his demos to riders and horses who were confident at 3'6".

His main point was that they overrode their horses and needed to do less.