PDA

View Full Version : Instructors - In your barn do you have...

Figment
May. 26, 2010, 12:53 PM
I am looking for ideas for a big white board in the barn aisle which shows what has been done for each horse by the rider each day of the week, and what tasks each rider has accomplished that week such as cleaned tack, cleaned wash rack, extra grooming, etc.

MR
May. 26, 2010, 01:34 PM
Sure! At my old training barn, there was a giant white board with every horse's name and 14 columns after. Initials for whom would ride each horse each day were entered in. So, if you were coming to ride your horse, you'd put your initials. If you were going to be gone, then you'd put the trainers. He would adjust as needed (assistant's initials, "L" for lounge). "T/O" was used for turn out days, also. The spaces were big enough to write two different things (ex: my horse went on the Exerciser/Walker "W" most mornings, plus he would be ridden in the afternoon).

With two weeks listed, you could then fill in the next week before erasing the previous (everything was dated, so it was clear which section was which week). If a horse was gone to a show, we'd put a long "-----" through the days.

There wasn't anything about tack cleaning, etc - but you could easily make one with those options as well. I did all the mane pulling / clipping for the barn & kept track of that on the board (checking horses off in order down the line as I filtered through - by the time I got to the end of the list, it was time to start again at the top!).

Ours was hand-made I think (blank large white board with black electrical tape or sharpie to make the lines), but I've seen some large pre-marked boards in horse catalogs (you just wouldn't be able to customize).

CanterPirouette
May. 26, 2010, 01:39 PM
When I was in charge of the schedule at my previous stable I had something similar to what you're talking about. It was basically a weekly calendar with all of the duties listed on the left side. In each row I would put the initials of whose day it was to do the task listed on the left side under which day they were scheduled to do it. When they accomplished it they erased their initials.

Linny
May. 26, 2010, 02:13 PM
Not a trainer but my barn has 2 white boards. One lists all the horses and their activity for the day. R=Ride, L=Lesson, TO=Turnout etc. Riders don't fill it out in advance as a "request" but after the fact so that every horse's day is accounted for.
There is a second board for staff to note what stalls have been done, along with other chores.
There is also a blank white board for general messages like "Boarders, take your blankets home" or "Don't use the back pasture."
Requests for schooling rides etc are usually written in the trainer's lesson/log book.

mypaintwattie
May. 26, 2010, 02:40 PM
All of the trainers I've been with have had whiteboards that list all of the horse's names and what they will be doing for the day- it has spaces for riding, lesson times, lunging, turnouts, even medications or vet appointments. Some even have spaces for the whole week. I always liked it because I could see exactly what my horse had done if I arrived after work and everyone was already gone.

indygirl2560
May. 26, 2010, 04:40 PM
Yep. The board keeps track of each horse and their turnout, lesson, and shoeing schedule. There are also two bulletin boards for people to post announcements, show schedules, etc.

Peggy
May. 26, 2010, 05:03 PM
Auto striping tape works really well for the lines.

SkipChange
May. 26, 2010, 07:50 PM
As everyone else has said, been at many barns with whiteboards. Essential for keeping large barn straight at shows. Great for leaving notes to barn staff such as lost shoe, feed change, pasture change. Also great for keeping tabs on what horses have been worked and by who.
A diagram of the layout of the facility with all pastures shown is perfect for showing which horses are in which pastures--and easily erasing the names is great for when horses are moved. Fantastic for lesson kids finding their mounts in a barn with 50 +/- horses and tons of pastures.

hntrjmprpro45
May. 26, 2010, 08:18 PM
I have a white board with feeding/turn out instructions for each horse, a calendar with all the shows listed (and dates when I am out of town/unavailable), general notes, and emergency numbers.

Once we have our new indoor arena up and going I am going to get another white board for posting "ride times". For example, it will show when arenas are open for hacking, lunging, lessons and when they are closed- like when I am riding and don't want to be bothered :)

Word of advice- if you have little kids then hide those markers! You will end up with drawings of barn cats and ponies all over your board or notes on the calendar with every prom, birthday, and Twilight movie premiers. And then all the kids play dumb.....

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
May. 26, 2010, 11:57 PM
A diagram of the layout of the facility with all pastures shown is perfect for showing which horses are in which pastures--and easily erasing the names is great for when horses are moved. Fantastic for lesson kids finding their mounts in a barn with 50 +/- horses and tons of pastures.

We have one like this... except it's magnetic and every horse's name is on a magnet. A stalled horse gets two magnets... red for day turnout, green for night, and blue magnets are the horses that live out. Then the stalled horses have their name in their stall (keeps track of the barn along with stall cards) and in their pasture.

I'd like to see each stall have a biweekly thing on it... so that we could write a few words on each day.

PNWjumper
May. 27, 2010, 01:56 AM
Not an instructor, but I have two white boards in my barn.

One has a chart on it similar to what others have mentioned.....a grid with each horse's name going down and the dates going across, and then I abbreviate whatever I did with them that day (i.e. "R" for ride, "J" for jump, "LJ" for light jump, L for lunge, etc.). I fill in the chart on the white board and then also fill out a paper version which gets entered into excel on the computer so I can keep track of each horse's schedule long term. I used permanent black pen to draw the lines (tape would have been better). I couldn't find anything to buy that worked for me.

My second dry erase board is for notes to the farrier or the kids who help me hack my horses.

I absolutely could not live without either! :)

ReSomething
May. 27, 2010, 02:07 AM
Don't forget a whiteboard is only as good as the people that use it though - at one barn they had no whiteboard and they posted lesson assignments on an 8 x 11 sheet of notebook paper, but they did post faithfully every day.
A different barn had multiple whiteboards and they'd try to get organized, with the "map" of the farm horses etc, and then somebody would get loose with the dry erase pens and mess it all up, or horses would leave without being moved on the board, so for a while I had no horse assignment at all on the board, it was hang around and wait or assume I was on last week's horse. Remember to KISS! Keep it Simple!, then you'll get into the habit of using it and you can build on it from there.

Across Sicily
May. 27, 2010, 02:56 AM
My barn has three whiteboards... one where staff/clients write down various things their horse needs to have done (clipping, bathing, non-emergency vetwork, flatting on X day, so on) and clients write days they are gone and messages to staff/instructors/trainers. Next board has each horse and whether they are going on the walker, turnout or being longed for the week. Last board has all locker assignments listed, show info and who's going on which days, and random quotes.

Old barn had whiteboards for each trainer (there were 3). Each trainer listed what their horse was doing that day and any special equipment they wanted used. It also listed any special meds, etc the horse needed. As the horses got ready and were worked, the horse was checked off. Made it easy to see what was left to do and who was supposed to do it.

Old old barn listed lessons, turnouts and various other activities on notebook paper, every day. I always wondered if the trainer got tired of drawing pictures of paddocks :P

JB
May. 27, 2010, 08:39 AM
Are you looking for a record of what HAS been done, or a place to put what will be done which changes daily or weekly?

A white board is best for the latter.

But the former needs to be permanent.

My old barn had a monthly calendar - big, like 2'x2' or so - with the days of the month going across (actually I think it was generic and she filled in the month and days), and then a column down the right side where she filled in each horse's name.

Every day she wrote, in code to keep things short, what was done with each horse and by whom. Lessons, or someone in particular rode a horse (mostly this pertained to boarders, but if a non-boarder rode a boarded horse, that was written, or if a boarder rode a schoolie for exercise, that was noted too), shots, farrier, turnout, etc.

sheltona01
May. 27, 2010, 11:27 AM
In my barn, each horse (all 18) has it's own white board attached to their stall. It is one of the monthly board. Each person is responsible to write down the horses activities. It works really well for the barn manager to see what everyone is doing. However all horses are privately owned. Some of them are used as "lesson" horses. There is also a separate white boards for general notes, a farrier and vets date board, one for the instructor to keep track of the lessons, one to keep track of stalls and paddocks and a responsible for feeding schedule.

It works really well because we are a co-op and all are assigned responsibilities. It allows everyone to know what is going on without have to talk to everyone.

Arall
May. 27, 2010, 12:45 PM
My barn has one of these
http://www.phoenixwest.com/stable_boards.html

Everyone in the barn uses it, trainers, riders, grooms.

It is filled in every morning so people know what's going on with their horses for the day. It has all the horses names written in on the left side. If the horse is used in a lesson the then name of the rider and the time is listed next to the horses name (Ashley-12), if it's a hack the rider's name-H. Across the top it has stuff like t/o, lunge, meds, wrap front, wrap hind, etc. If your horse requires any of that stuff then it is marked with an x. It keeps every thing super organized. It's so huge that we sometimes write notes on it (like for birthdays, or to remember something).

Next to that we have a smaller white board where we write notes to the whole barn like about when horse show checks are due, vet work, any update that we feel is important. It's a great system.

katydidn't
May. 30, 2010, 04:58 AM
And as others have said, you can buy the striping materials pretty much right where they sell the white boards. My husband used to own a custom auto pinstriping business, so I got mine free:cool:

The board I made had wide divisions for each day of the week in which I simply wrote the daily lessons and training rides for the week. I was not in charge of barn management, so didn't need the gridded detailed board.

You'll be able to customize the board or boardS to the specifications of your barn and your business.
(I did really like the idea of colored magnets, too..... saves all the erasing, but can get lost, be moved, etc...)

The trick is to get in the groove and stick with it. NO system will work unless it becomes a system!!:)

bits619
May. 30, 2010, 07:04 PM
Right now I am caretaking for a large number of foster dogs at our farm. BF and I quickly found we needed a board like that... and then decided we needed a second! I don't know how much would transfer to a horse facility, but our columns for foster dogs are:
Crate #, Name (&breed), Date In/From, Age, Feed&Type, Vax/Medications, Notes.

We have labeled every crate and every bowl with numbers and coordinate them. Makes it easier when you're feeding ALL the dogs and look at two nearly identical bowls full of food and think, "Now, is that Sparky's or Fido's???" In the notes section we say which dogs don't get along, clarify medication instructions, etc

My goal for the board is for someone to be able to walk in off the street, look at the board and be able to: identify each dog, know which ones they can let out together, how much to feed them, administer correct medications, and to generally avoid mass confusion. Having 15 dogs, I want to know things will be under control if there's an emergency which takes us off the farm. OR if there's an 'emergency vacation' which results in our jetting off somewhere for a few days, haha!! (that alone is a good motivator to keep it updated!)