PDA

View Full Version : CRITIQUE: this is me and my horse at our last h/j show

shinyeiny123
May. 26, 2010, 12:07 PM
I have been having some trouble with my riding latly and would like some critiques on what everone thinks, this was my last show i went to we didnt do horrible but we also didnt do great. So please anything you think would help let me know THANKS!

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&tid=1195761873557#!/photo.php?pid=31258350&id=1076204829&fbid=1421922782853

InWhyCee Redux
May. 26, 2010, 12:27 PM
I'm not the position to critique anyone's riding! But George Morris would say to trim or tuck up your excess stirrup leathers, consider a smaller saddle pad (this one appears too big and/or fluffy), and always braid!

NorthFaceFarm
May. 26, 2010, 12:43 PM
Not terrible! Your foot seems angled in the stirrup, which could contribute to the slipping of your leg. That slipping puts you too far ahead of the horse/out in front of the saddle. You want to push your butt back in your two-point, and be square over the horse. I'd also want to see you a little closer to the tack, and not perched quite so high up there. Definitely get your eyes out of the dirt.

Artemis
May. 26, 2010, 01:47 PM
My trainer always tells me that if I'm looking at the ground, thats where I'm going to end up!
So keep those eyes up!

rabicon
May. 26, 2010, 03:38 PM
I see a few things. Is this a hunter or eq class? First thing is EYES UP, and don't lean to the side. Your are ducking but not to bad. Your outside toe should be on the outside iron so you can get your calf turned on your horse and not pinch with your knee so that your leg slides back. Your also jumping a little ahead, not to horrible but its there which also makes your leg slide back. Your release is good in giving your horse his head to jump the jump but unfourntley he is not using himself really at all it doesn't look as if. I don't know if its your spot or if its just how he jumps but at C or up shows (not to be depressing but just honest) if this is his normal jumping style he isn't probably going to get you in the top ribbons, depending on your area. But also the ducking and eyes down and jumping ahead could all be adding to his jump style. So maybe do some grid work with him to help him pop up but really I'd start (if he is safe) doing grid work without your reins and wait for him. Don't look down, look ahead and let him push. When he pushes you can close your hip angle a smidge over these smaller jumps and flow with him. Maybe shorten your iron a hole and work on keeping your outside toe on the outside bar and turning your calf on him without using your knee. You don't look bad at all, better than alot :yes: but just a few tips to help you out. good luck

shinyeiny123
May. 26, 2010, 04:18 PM
I'm not the position to critique anyone's riding! But George Morris would say to trim or tuck up your excess stirrup leathers, consider a smaller saddle pad (this one appears too big and/or fluffy), and always braid!

Noone in michigan braids in the C curcuit any more becuase the economy is so bad. We havent seen braids in almost two years.

shinyeiny123
May. 26, 2010, 04:23 PM
[rabicon]
Thanks for all the tips, we have been trying to work on grids more and more he used to jump a lot better and i think sometimes i get in his way when he is jumping, and yes i can definetly do the grids without my reins. We do it all the time in the winter when we have to be inside. Thanks again for all the help hopefully i can get some work in and put new pictures up!

seabreeze
May. 26, 2010, 09:55 PM
Noone in michigan braids in the C curcuit any more becuase the economy is so bad. We havent seen braids in almost two years.

Sorry, but this made me laugh...

There's something to be said for horsemanship and braiding one's own horse.

shinyeiny123
May. 27, 2010, 09:42 AM
:D

if i did braid i would braid myself but my trainer told us no one braids. Mine are actually really good i have had people ask me who i paid to do them and i laugh cuz i would never pay anyone to do that, or pay for a groom, and a stall cleaner at a show. Our trainer has told us part of showing your horse is taking care of it yourself :D

danceronice
May. 27, 2010, 10:29 AM
Personally, I don't care if you braid or about saddle pads and leathers so long as they're not falling apart. That's all decoration. However, if you CAN braid yourself, and have the time, why not? If "no one else" is braiding, then you look that much more polished.

I second: is this hunter or eq? If it's hunter, he looks flat, his legs aren't tucked (did he tap or take down a rail on that fence?) Like rabicon said, he's not using himself, and definitely he's not a stylish jumper going solely on that photo.

Eq-wise: the BIG thing for me is you appear to be looking straight down. I was always told the same thing ericalynn was--where you look is where you end up! Or as my dance teachers put it, the head is the heaviest part of your body--tip it down and the rest will follow. (Or as one keeps saying, "There's no money on the floor! Stop looking for it!") This is a still picture, so I don't know if there was something that happened that you looked straight down, but taking it as a 'typical' image, just lifting your head and eyes would go a long way to improving the picture.

Also, and I admit this is just a me thing, but how jacked up are your stirrups? To me, too short is worse than too long if you really have a tight leg as when it's TOO short, the knee is the only thing you can grab with. The overall impression I'm getting here is pinchy, which says to me for some reason or another your calf isn't on the horse. (For me, that happens with too-short stirrups, not too long/no stirrups.) But the photo angle is such it's hard to say.

InWhyCee Redux
May. 27, 2010, 10:30 AM

if i did braid i would braid myself but my trainer told us no one braids. Mine are actually really good i have had people ask me who i paid to do them and i laugh cuz i would never pay anyone to do that, or pay for a groom, and a stall cleaner at a show. Our trainer has told us part of showing your horse is taking care of it yourself :D

Yay! You should braid and make everyone else look lazy. My mother wouldn't even hook up the trailer until I was done braiding. ;)

Milo19
May. 27, 2010, 10:50 AM
I haven't read the other replies, so a lot of this may be a repeat.

Your biggest problem is that you are jumping ahead. That is causing almost all of your other position problems. Instead of thinking about jumping FOR your horse... think about waiting for his thrust to naturally lift you into position. You should not move from the saddle until your horse is in the air!

In addition, you have lost your base of support. Your heel and leg need to be pushed down. They are your anchor of balance. Right now, since you have jumped ahead of the motion, your leg has slipped back and your heel has come up. See how your leg is a good bit behind the girth? Focus on strengthening that leg and keeping it right at the girth, with your balance down through your heels.

Your butt is also too far out of the saddle. This is purely a result of the other things. Because you are jumping ahead and your leg has fallen back, your butt has come up too high. When you wait for the horse's jump and have your leg down correctly, your butt will most likely stay in the correct position (that is, as long as your stirrups are the proper length). It's amazing how one problem can affect (but also FIX!) your entire body. Work on strengthening your leg and not jumping ahead, and you will be surprised at how much it will help your overall position.

Perhaps the part of your position that concerns me the most is that you are looking straight down. In addition to jumping ahead, you are setting yourself up for a dangerous situation. Since you are already ahead of your horse's motion, your balance is off and you are prone to going over his head in the event of a stop or if he jumps big, etc. Add in the fact that you are ALSO looking down, and you are only increasing the likelihood that this could happen. This is an easy-fixer... just look up!

Your release is also a bit dramatic... with your hands too far up your horse's next, especially for the low height of the fence, and slack in your reins. You should still maintain a contact with your horse's mouth while you are in the air. No more slack in your reins!

Overall, you're doing a good job. Like I said, I think that once you solve the problem of jumping ahead, it's really going to fix a lot of your other problems. Work on strengthening your leg... that will help with not jumping ahead. Run up and down the stairs, and do heel stretches on the edge of the stairs. Those are great for strengthening your anchor leg muscles.

Good luck!

doublesstable
May. 27, 2010, 12:25 PM

Went to a show recently where they have a "no braid" policy. I have never heard of that before.... As a braider (for money) I was sad.... however it was kind of nice not having to deal with that.....

As far as your picture - - a lot of the other posters have said what needs to be said.... it's hard to really comment on just a still photo (I agree) I also agree with Milo 19 on the release.

But don't be so hard on yourself... you look like a good rider w/ just a few tweeks - -Im sure it will all work out... let us know how the next show goes!! :)

Petstorejunkie
May. 27, 2010, 01:14 PM
your horse does not look mentally comfortable with the task.

LaraNSpeedy
May. 27, 2010, 02:16 PM
Ditto most what others have said - you are ahead - your tush is up too far - but most of all - you are not looking down. THINK less, FEEL more - let the jump come to you and keep yourself relaxed. If your eyes are up and you let the jump come to you - keep over your horse and into your legs - and the overall picture will be so different.

As for your horse - I would love to see what he looks like when you do that - some horses are so sensitive that if your weight is forward like that - they will hang a little and not have a happy face. I would love to see a picture of you eyes up and waitiing for the fence and see if his expression changes. He looks like either you are doing something that bothers him (which could be simply being on his shoulders or your looking down and off his left shoulder - it might just be bugging him) or there is something else which would be good to know what.

I think that you are doing well, you just need to sit back, wait for the fence - your release would be less dramatic - you just look like you anticipated the fence - got ahead of him and then something (maybe nervousness or soemthing) made you look down?

Bearhunter
May. 27, 2010, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=doublesstable;4891669]Went to a show recently where they have a "no braid" policy. I have never heard of that before....

Yes, quite a few shows in Southern CA have that "policy."

meupatdoes
May. 27, 2010, 05:10 PM
Policy schmolicy.

Just tell them you're "trying to get some sale photos."

This almost hostile lowering of the bar from people who are too lazy to meet it is ridiculous.

Yes, I myself have skipped a braid job on a horse that was really only going in the ring for a schooling ride when I had other "higher-priority" horses going, or not had the braids in yet for the 'practice' Eq class over the course before the hunter rounds I was really there for, but I will be d*mned if some self-righteously lazy whiner is going to tell me I can't present my horses properly because they don't feel like presenting theirs.

EquineRacers
May. 27, 2010, 06:58 PM
+Eyes up
+your jumping way ahead of your horse
+toes are pointed too far out,
+leg is too far behind
+hands are pushed too far up
+you looks very tense and displaced from your horse, your horse looks unhappy, but very forgiving. To be honest, if you were with my trainer, he'd bring you back down to cross rails until you got your position straightened out, if you were on many other horses you'd have many runs outs and stops.

Just being honest!

shimmergirl
May. 28, 2010, 09:21 PM

Maybe your trainer really told you that you could braid but said braids had to be practiced and approved by the trainer before you left the barn? Then you decided not to braid at the show?....Just a thought....although the rest of taking care of your own horse sounds about par! :)

doublesstable
May. 28, 2010, 09:33 PM

I braided others and my own and I actually like doing it.. but it does seem like these days not too many people braid.. and it does look so much better.

However, you are crazy if you don't pay for a groom and stall cleaner at an away show.. it's worth it's weight in gold... got enough to worry about and stay clean in the process.

Sorry to hijack.. ;)