PDA

View Full Version : NoVA Farriers

NorthFaceFarm
May. 26, 2010, 12:43 PM
Looking for new farrier options. I don't want to get into my reasons, just wondering who you guys like/recommend for your hunters and jumpers that will work in the Aldie area. Must be extremely knowledgeable/experienced, reliable, and decent to the horses. I did search, but didn't find anything helpful.

sar2008
May. 26, 2010, 01:02 PM
Mark Keppick or Lee Witscher. They are both WONDERFUL and I know MArk does loads of horses in the area. Lee is sort of a hidden treasure. Not many people know about him, but Mark recommends him if he is unable to do horses for some reason. If you are interested PM me and I am happy to get you either numbers.

Pete Wolfe is great, I used to use him when my barn was in Middleburg. He is based in WV, so when I moved barns closer to DC, it was too far for him to drive. :(

NorthFaceFarm
May. 26, 2010, 01:14 PM
I kept searching and did find this thread http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4076146

Anyone else have some suggestions? :)

sar2008
May. 26, 2010, 01:17 PM
Alrighty, obviously Mark is off your list ;) He has never beat any of my horses....just FYI....

NorthFaceFarm
May. 26, 2010, 01:20 PM
Nah he's not off my list. It takes more than one angry poster to convince me. Besides, either myself or my assistant trainer are present when the horses get done. If someone tried to hit one with a rasp, we'd hit HIM with a rasp ;)

SidesaddleRider
May. 26, 2010, 03:03 PM
I use Pete Wolfe... he's great!

NorthFaceFarm
May. 26, 2010, 07:15 PM
Contact info for Pete Wolfe?

jse
May. 26, 2010, 08:16 PM
Dario Merlos...contact me for his info! He is a great farrier and wonderful with the horses. He takes his time and is very knowledgeable!!!

pmysliwski
May. 26, 2010, 08:23 PM
Dario Merlos...contact me for his info! He is a great farrier and wonderful with the horses. He takes his time and is very knowledgeable!!!

I second Dario Merlos -- I just started using him and he has been totally awesome and patient with my yearling and 3 year old that my former farrier would not do without using meds. Very patient and knowledgeable.

sar2008
May. 27, 2010, 09:06 AM
Pete Wolfe's number is (304) 496-9228.

NorthFaceFarm
May. 27, 2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys. I've got Mark coming out in about an hour to do one for me.

lovemyoldguy
Sep. 19, 2010, 01:17 AM
Bumping this up - my sister might be in the market for a new farrier (sigh). She has a senior QH boarded in Aldie and needs someone in the next week if at all possible.

Her horse is shod on the front, bare on the hind, and she discovered today that BOTH of his front shoes were very loose after only 4 weeks (very unusual for him). We managed to safely pull the shoes thanks to one of the other boarder's tools, but now the old boy is bare on the front and ouchy. I'm going to see if I can track down contact info for the farriers already mentioned in this thread, but I wanted to see if anyone has any other suggestion (feel free to PM me). Thanks in advance!!

sar2008
Sep. 19, 2010, 07:23 AM
I also recommend Dave Giza with Genesis Farriers. He is wonderful and GUARANTEES his shoes.

I am not sure if he is accepting any new clients, but I am happy to give you his number if your interested.

Bent Hickory
Sep. 19, 2010, 12:05 PM
Nah he's not off my list. It takes more than one angry poster to convince me. Besides, either myself or my assistant trainer are present when the horses get done. If someone tried to hit one with a rasp, we'd hit HIM with a rasp ;)

Sometimes, the horse needs to be smacked with the rasp -- for everyone's safety. And if the farrier won't do it, I will. There's a big difference between "beating a horse" and reminding it of its manners...