PDA

View Full Version : Robaxin for shows??

supaflyskye
May. 26, 2010, 11:24 AM
I'm looking at hunter ponies for my little sister, and emailed a seller asking them some questions about their pony. One of the questions was "How is he at shows - does he require a lot of prep/warmup before going in the ring?" and their response was "Robaxin and a hack or lunge at shows, not hard at all."
Robaxin? What might that indicate? I gave my horse robaxin for a few weeks when he was back sore, it's a muscle relaxant(as I'm sure you all know, I'm just trying to connect the dots myself, here).
Could this indicate that pony has some mucle soreness or that he's being given robaxin for a quasi-calming effect(which I can't imagine would be noticeable at regular doses)?
I'll ask the seller, of course, but thought I'd check here, too. I really don't want to be driving 4hrs to look at a potentially unsound young pony.

Lucassb
May. 26, 2010, 11:29 AM
Lots of horses show on robaxin. It is indeed a muscle relaxant and can counteract the stiffness/soreness that can come from being a bit tense in a show environment or even just from the vanning/being cooped up in a tent stall with no turnout/ worked on harder ground than you might have at home, etc.

I would certainly ask about it but would not be overly concerned.

dwblover
May. 26, 2010, 11:40 AM
Agree, it's very commonly used at shows. I wouldn't be too concerned since they openly told you about it/are not trying to hide it. Sometimes people use it to prevent plain old muscle soreness during a tough competition week.

supaflyskye
May. 26, 2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the info!
Seller says that all of his horses get it at shows just to keep them loose.
One of my trainers has a horse she always shows on robaxin, but he's older and has a history of back injury(and other things); I didn't know it was so common. Thanks again. :)

dab
May. 26, 2010, 07:51 PM
Check the USEF Drugs & Medications pamphlet for dosing recommendations -- Robaxin is a restricted medication -- http://www.usef.org/documents/drugsMeds/DrugsMedsGuidelines.pdf --