PDA

View Full Version : Small Brag :D And help needed!

RxCate
May. 26, 2010, 10:03 AM
I've had my OTTB since October and she's only been consistantly jumping for about 3 months now.

Finally got some pictures of us last night just schooling in the ring so I wanted to share :D

No critiques please, I know my feet stick straight out and have my own issues to work out. I've been mainly focusing on her.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/RxCate/mae2.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/RxCate/Mae.jpg

I need some help too - Though she jumps so loverly over the fences, before them she starts flipping her head and and jigging, wanting to rush. I try to stay soft and out of her way. We're mainly just trotting s-l-o-w-l-y up to the fences, most of the time not even picking up a trot until 3-4 strides out to try to curb the rushing.

I keep a standing martingale on her so that helps that she can't flip her head completely up and break my nose, but it takes my focus off of the jump when she starts doing that because she'll also jig a bit and I have to keep that outside leg on her to keep her straight.

Any suggestions? She LOVES to jump so no issues there. It's just when we get up to it, she's like "yippee! let me GOOOOO!"

I have video from last night as well, will upload when I get home from work, it shows the head flippy-ness.

RxCate
May. 26, 2010, 10:42 AM
I should add that we go in a happy mouth mullen 2-ring elevator. She used to pull me down at the canter w/o it.

RxCate
May. 26, 2010, 12:12 PM
Bump -

I find it hard to believe no one on this msg board has any suggestions for a solution to this.

skrgirl
May. 26, 2010, 01:09 PM
You need PACE to the fence. Crawling is only going to cause more rushing. And you need to let go in the air. In both pictures, you look to be grabbing her in the face, causing her to jump inverted. She probably now anticipates this, causing some rushing issues.

Put placing poles before and after the fence to help regulate her pace.

RxCate
May. 26, 2010, 01:13 PM
Right, I know I have a habit of planting my hands just above her withers. My trainer yells "Grab mane!" when I'm jumping and that helps me move them up and I can do an auto, just have to remember.

I have poles set before each jump (the pictures are from a line that I decided to canter w/o poles) but as soon as she gets past the poles (in that 3-4' space before the jump) it's like she suddenly scrambles to GO.

I try to stay very soft in her mouth and go around on fairly loose contact, but when she starts the jig/head toss we fall apart as my attention is diverted from jumping to controlling.

skrgirl
May. 26, 2010, 01:18 PM
Dont jump lines until she is quiet. Work single fences into your ground work. Keep everything small. Circle before and after, throw in some halts after. Put more poles on the ground. Two or three before and two or three after.