PDA

View Full Version : Fun with J/O tracks at home? Suggestions?

tidy rabbit
May. 26, 2010, 10:41 AM
I've started schooling my young'n over some low (3 foot) Jump Off tracks at home.

He's getting the idea and it's been super fun.

Any suggestions on tracks to practice or elements to add in would be much appreciated.

We'll be doing our very first Jumper classes (3'3/3'6") the first weekend of June. We'll be going slow, but he's great with the turns.

This is the boy, he's READY to go! (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2513944910048495570JmvEZG)

findeight
May. 26, 2010, 12:17 PM
CH/Ad at Country Heir???Traditionally not too tricky and not too many surprises but it will be honest height.

I'd do some less substantial fences, this one gives him alot of help to get enough. Maybe some skinnies across the corner on the short side, a few with no wings so you can school the track without so much visual help plus schooling out the run out potential.

Alot of them have issues with the aquaduct or viaduct walls-the ones that are solid with cut outs like arches so the light comes through from the other side. Takes a few times until they are sure about that type wall.

Corners and straighteness out of them as well as some jumps on an angle.

Sending you a PM shortly with another suggestion.

tidy rabbit
May. 26, 2010, 12:50 PM
I've been doing roll backs and 3 part serpentines with a long track to a roll back to a brush filled skinny, less than 4' wide with no wings... now that IS skinny. Even Havoline was like - wait, is that a jump!?? LOL

I was thinking more along the lines of where to throw in a combination? What to try after the combination, a long gallop to a oxer, a collected canter to vertical. Related or unrelated distances. etc etc.

findeight
May. 26, 2010, 01:16 PM
The 1.2m on down classes usually end with a long run to a single or related, forward in and out to the timers. Usually don't see to much of a trappy nature once they get in the jump off. You will note the use of the word "usually".

Ummmm, maybe practice opening him up some if he is ready. Seeing more and more courses with mainly gallops and singles in those jump offs at most shows lately. Oh, they twist and turn plenty but the jumps are pretty straight forward, any combinations are related distance and usually nothing more then 2 fences. Just finding the best track more then a complicated and technical test like the first round can be. And this particular show is not quite as competitive as some of the others at KHP.

One thought, KHP has that light, almost white footing. Especially on a sunny day, that creates a sharp contrast between anything dark on the ground (ground line, flowers, filling) and the footing. Creates alot of lookiness and some sucking back in some that never hesitate. Or the opposite and they over do it. Might school with that in mind a bit.

If it's in the Walnut ring? It's huge and irregular, not an oval with nice little fence around the whole thing. You don't school every day in one of those and get rail dependent anyway...but it's different when you are getting 15 strides between fences then have to do a triple that requires shortening of step while looking at 3 options for track. If it's in the annex or Murphy ring? Same old, same old.

tidy rabbit
May. 26, 2010, 01:54 PM
Anyone have any tracks they like to set at home?
I would love some examples of things people find fun and challenging.

F8,
I'm not taking him to KHP just yet. He'll be doing some OHJA schooling jumper classes before heading to KHP. We might do the 2nd week of Country Heir, the .85 meter which is run in the Walnut Ring this year IIRC. Thanks for your suggestions.

tidy rabbit
May. 26, 2010, 02:22 PM
Anyone else?

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss on the thread. I'm just looking for some different ideas to mix it up a bit here at home.