PDA

View Full Version : I Need Field Boots That Last (more than 6 months!)

*Liz*
May. 26, 2010, 07:40 AM
Ugh, so the long story short is that I have worn holes on the inside of the calf of two pairs of Ariat Crowne Pro zip-up field boots in less than a year. When this happened the first time, I contacted Dover (where I bought the boots) and they replaced my boots for free. I doubt they'll replace a replacement boot for me, but I'm pretty peeved at the poor quality of Ariat leather these days. Yes, I realize they're now made in China, not Italy.

I take good care of my boots, and wipe them down every day to remove sweat and dirt. I think part of issue is my mare - who sweats an incredible amount. I keep her body-clipped, but she comes in literally dripping just about every ride.

I need to ride in a field boot due to ankle issues. I cannot ride in a paddock boot or a dress boot. Finances are an issue as I cannot afford to pay $$$ for new boots every 5-6 months. I'm considering taking them to a cobbler to see if I can have them patched - has anyone done this with any success?

Most importantly, what boot do you recommend for someone to ride several horses a day including one ridiculously bad sweater that will: (1) be comfortable and supportive - I liked Ariats because of the sole technology (2) hold up to the rigors of daily riding and (3) be available in a slim calf?

theinstigator
May. 26, 2010, 07:47 AM
I've heard really good things about the Mountain Horse line of field boots, but don't have any personal experience to share, sorry.

It's a shame Ariat has gone to such crap leather. I'm glad I picked up a spare pair of the Italian leather Crowne's on ebay awhile back!

ImJumpin
May. 26, 2010, 08:46 AM
I've heard really good things about the Mountain Horse line of field boots, but don't have any personal experience to share, sorry.

It's a shame Ariat has gone to such crap leather. I'm glad I picked up a spare pair of the Italian leather Crowne's on ebay awhile back!

Yep-- I have a pair of MH Richmonds. I've had them two years (maybe even longer) at this point. I wear them daily to ride two, one of which is a dripper like your mare. I am bad to them-- don't take them off before bathing the horses, if I step in mud, I will just hose it off, clean them only once a week, if that, etc. The leather on them is still in top shape, and when I do take the time to clean and shine them, they still look good. I don't think I ever had a pair of my Ariat paddock boots last this long with the same kind of abuse-- the leather usually started cracking/wearing.

alteringwego
May. 26, 2010, 10:00 AM
I've patched many a pair. My Italian Crownes are on their 3rd set of patches. Not hard and well worth it.
Most people I know ride in very inexpensive field boots for schooling and save their nice boots for showing. Generally the nice boots are a softer leather which wears easier and therefore will either need to be saved from day-to-day or replaced/patched often.

JumpinBean17
May. 26, 2010, 11:20 AM
Contact Dover, they should replace it, money back guarantee no matter what, you could even bring in the boots to show them, they will also probably help you figure out a different pair of boots to get! They are pretty great about returns.

LARGEBORE
May. 26, 2010, 11:25 AM
Try Mountain Horse

NorthFaceFarm
May. 26, 2010, 11:41 AM
I've patched many a pair. My Italian Crownes are on their 3rd set of patches. Not hard and well worth it.
Most people I know ride in very inexpensive field boots for schooling and save their nice boots for showing. Generally the nice boots are a softer leather which wears easier and therefore will either need to be saved from day-to-day or replaced/patched often.

I disagree with you. I've had 2 pairs of extremely expensive custom high end boots and both held up better than I could have asked. My first pair was in constant service for about 9 years with no issues, the second has had some zipper problems but that's not related to wear. I also don't really know anyone who saves their expensive ones for shows. IME, you get what you pay for with boots. In the long run its probably worth it to pay for something a little better than the Ariats and not have to buy another pair for many, many years rather than buying cheap ones a whole bunch of times. 6 months is ridiculous.

forestergirl99
May. 26, 2010, 11:47 AM
Dover should replace it. Or maybe you could just get your money back. They are usually very good at either replacing the product or giving you your money back. Who cares if this is your replacement pair. The 2nd did the same thing the first ones did, and they replaced the those. Just contact them and ask. I highly doubt they will say no.

*Liz*
May. 26, 2010, 12:56 PM
Alright, so I just finished writing an e-mail to Dover. Cross your fingers they want to help a gal out.

Assuming Dover gives me the finger and I'm on my own... can anyone recommend which style of the MH boots seem to hold up the best? I noticed some only come in a regular or wide calf - so those would be a no go. I can't stand for my boots to be sloshing around, a slim calf is a must for me.

RugBug
May. 26, 2010, 01:03 PM
Go with some fully lined custom Dehners. I swear mine would survive an apocalypse. :lol:

They will be a little pricier, but if you're going through boots that quickly, you're spending that much, or more, anyway.

*Liz*
May. 26, 2010, 01:21 PM
Wow that was fast!

Dover is going to take back my boots with a note from me regarding my care and usage, and they're going to send me new boots of my choosing!

Thanks all, and keep the suggestions rolling because it's out with the Ariat and in with the new! :)

alto
May. 26, 2010, 01:46 PM
:cool:

you may believe that the tack shops are NOT happy with the changes Ariat has made as well :no: - at least 1 franchise sent back every boot in a line when they experienced the quality (lack) :lol:

Dramapony_misty
May. 26, 2010, 03:51 PM
I do bad things with my MH Richmond field boots and they are going on their third year, and still look great! Between riding, trail riding, bathing, even spent a day helping to cut up and haul fire wood (It was a known snake-infested area and those were the only tall boots I had).

The foot is more comfy than Ariat (which I had previously), and are super tough, yet nice enough to show in.

two sticks
May. 26, 2010, 04:56 PM
I'm going to 3rd the MH richmonds. I have had mine almost 4 years, daily riding, several horses, abuse like bathing, hiking, all day wear and I definitely don't clean them as often as I should and they have held up great and are super comfy.

mypaintwattie
May. 26, 2010, 05:02 PM
I was lucky and found a hardly broken in pair of Italian made Ariat Crowne Pros on eBay for a steal of a deal. I love them but will only wear them to show in. Daily I ride in chaps or a cheap pair of Devon Aire's- the leather is soft and they come in a slim calf. I've even shown in them before. I also have an older pair of effinghams but honestly like the softer devon-aires! If only they came in brown....I'm dying for a pair of brown field boots to wear with my rust breeches!

Dramapony_misty
May. 26, 2010, 05:09 PM
(3) be available in a slim calf?[/b]

I forgot to mention that I am a size 7 and have a 13.5" calf. The Richmonds don't come in Slim, but the regulars are only a little bit big in the calf. I just wear a pair of real tall socks instead of nylon boot socks, and they are just fine.

indygirl2560
May. 26, 2010, 05:36 PM
My Ariat Challenges have lasted 5yrs and are still going strong. I don't think the Crowne Pros are meant to be "everyday" boots because of the soft leather. The Challenges have a bit stiffer leather but it's still good quality and lasts a long time(I abuse them and yet they still shine up nicely before each show).

RolyPolyPony
May. 26, 2010, 08:30 PM
I have the Richmonds too, and while I can't testify to their longevity as I'm a once-a-weeker and have only had them a few months, I do LOVE them - they're comfy, and the break in was way shorter than I was expecting. AND I get a lot of compliments on them, which is an added bonus :)

(I am quite excited to hear about the other who have had them for years and they're still i good shape - yay! I made the right choice!)

harkington
May. 26, 2010, 09:23 PM
I vote for Treadstones. Fabulous boots, very comfy and easy to break in. I've had mine for close to a year now and they have been great- haven't shown any wear yet and I've been riding about 10 times a week. They are relatively inexpensive as far as field boots go. I haven't heard about their overall longevity, but I have never heard anything bad.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
May. 27, 2010, 12:50 AM
Step down in Ariat. The Crownes are cut out on the inside of the calf for "closer contact". Get the challenges instead. They're twice as thick on the inside of the calf.

*Liz*
May. 27, 2010, 06:32 AM
Thanks for all the replies and encouragement to contact Dover. Everyone at the barn I board at, trainer included was surprised at how amazing Dover's customer service has been to me. I ordered the Mountain Horse Supreme boot since the Richmond's don't come in a slim (my calf measures under 13" with breeches and socks.) To top it off, Dover's even going to refund me the difference between the MH boots and my Ariats! So again, thanks. I would not have even thought to contact Dover again. I usually think you get 1 replacement then you're on your own, but thankfully I was wrong ;)

alteringwego
May. 27, 2010, 07:44 AM
What an amazing story of great customer service yet again from Dover. Very awesome!

LARGEBORE
May. 27, 2010, 07:48 AM
Yes, everytime I buy from Dover they are great and always stand behind their product.

Nilla Wafer
Jun. 3, 2010, 01:26 AM
mountain horse richmonds -- i have had mine for several years, treat them very poorly (unfortunately), and they are really durable!

xxreddxheaddxx
Jun. 5, 2010, 09:29 PM
i have the same problems- i go through tall boots like horses go through hay. i am extremely tall and my show boots drop way to low and my parents won't buy customs yet! i save my crowne pro ariats for horseshowing and i wear my challenges for everyday. they are thicker on the inside b/c they are completely lined. i have made holes through them though. i used to have the first challenge ariat made and those were wonderful, i had them for 4 years and i have had the challenge 2 for about a year and i ride everyday. they are wearing much faster than my other ones did :[ my family is really frustrated with ariat too because we have replaced multiple zippers and get holes constantly! this feels good to vent :] anyways, i have had luck with calling ariat, sending in boots and them being replaced for free. good luck!

irideponyhunters
Jun. 6, 2010, 04:39 PM
I would think dover would replace it. I have the Ariat Challenges and they have held up really well, ive had them since 2006. But i only use them for shows/clinics. Im thinking about getting Monacos, just because, not because i dont like the challenges but just to have some more, people also said going custom is really worthwhile but i dont have a personal experiance with custom field boots.

morganpony86
Jun. 6, 2010, 10:46 PM
Go with some fully lined custom Dehners. I swear mine would survive an apocalypse. :lol:

They will be a little pricier, but if you're going through boots that quickly, you're spending that much, or more, anyway.

I second the Dehners (and custom boots in general). Mine survived 10+ years, 6 of which included riding two horses a day. I could've probably patched the calf where I wore the hole, but I have an emotional attachment to them and felt they more than paid their dues! I plan to replace them as soon as I have the cash.

morganpony86
Jun. 6, 2010, 10:49 PM

PS- I actually do the exact opposite. I have a pair of Ariats that I use for showing and rode in my Dehners daily. They stood up a lot better than the Ariats!