PDA

View Full Version : Myler Dee Ring w/ hooks- Legal?

SFrost
May. 25, 2010, 06:33 PM
I'm sure the legality of Myler bits has been talked to death, but I'm completely clueless on the topic so have to ask.

I ride my horse in a Myler Dee ring. It is ported with hooks. I do use the hooks and a curb chain. My horse goes wonderfully with this bit.

I was thinking of doing some showing this summer and this is where the legality of the bit comes in. These are just local shows, nothing big. They go by USEF rules. While I did read the rules I'm still unsure about the bit.

So, legal or no?

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 25, 2010, 06:39 PM
"Legal"? Yes. Anything is "legal" in the hunter ring. However, most judges will label this bit unconventional and penalize you accordingly. Nearly all gag-action bits will fit into this category.

Have you tried a pelham with a similar mouthpiece?

SFrost
May. 25, 2010, 06:52 PM
I figured that might be the case. As long as I'm not going to be disqualified that's all I really care about. Showing wouldn't be about winning or becoming huge competitors for us, it would just be experience. (At this point at least.) Although, I'm not turning down any ribbons. :)

I've tried him in several bits that are similar but he really goes best in this one. He is by no means bad in a different bit, he just seems most comfortable with his myler.

HowDoILook
May. 25, 2010, 07:07 PM
Have you tried it without the curb? I showed my pony almost all last season in a Myler with hooks. No one noticed, or atleast not enough to "penalize" me, seeing as he was champions at multiple A and AA shows in the bit. The curb chain would be a dead give away though.

mroades
May. 25, 2010, 08:32 PM
yep, the answer is totally dependant on the individual judge.

mypaintwattie
May. 25, 2010, 11:12 PM
Just make sure they do follow USEF rules- around here sometimes they follow AQHA rules, which state that if the bit has hooks you must have a curbchain. I just got the ported D-ring with hooks, and my horse is madly in love with the bit, and goes better with the curb chain, because it prevents the bit from over-rotating in her mouth. On one of the more "QH" forums I read someone suggested trimming the extra links and even painting the curbchain the color of the horses chin to make it less noticeable. Don't know if that would be legal or not but it might be a good idea to try!

findeight
May. 26, 2010, 09:14 AM
50/50 the judge won't even notice. Most of them sit aways back and up from the ring so they can see all the fences and corners.

If you get to where you want to go USEF AA? Then I would have some concern. Local for mileage? Get the best mileage you can by keeping the horse comfortable. Use it with the curbchain. That is the choice the better horseman will make-best thing for that horse at this time. Not what some judge who will never see you or the horse again thinks.

mvp
May. 26, 2010, 09:17 AM
Doesn't this bit with curb chain sound like a kimberwicke, at least in function?

Six of one, half a dozen of the other if you are talking about either bit in the USEF hunter ring. You could use a pelham with both reins for a more conventional version of what you want.

findeight
May. 26, 2010, 12:44 PM
Doesn't this bit with curb chain sound like a kimberwicke, at least in function?

Bingo. A PROPERLY used KW would have the curb chain or strap-and it originally had slots in the dee sidepieces for 2 reins. Neither ever seen any more. Actually, I'd rather see the Mylar with a chain then a KW that should have one used without as the snaffle it is not designed to be.

skrgirl
May. 26, 2010, 01:03 PM
Ive shown two different horses with a myler d with hooks, with no curb chain. Only ever had a problem with a judge once. Both horses showed local through AA levels.

Wanderluster
May. 26, 2010, 01:12 PM
Don't show under Linda Andrasini ~ she HATES them and will notice it from a mile away.
Every judge can accept or penalize as they see fit.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
May. 26, 2010, 01:36 PM
For the record, most people can spot a Myler with hooks from quite a distance. It's not really "hidden"- the cheekpieces on the bridle gap slightly when pressure is applied to the bit. It's a dead giveaway.

So don't think you're fooling anyone- just cross your fingers that they don't find it unconventional.

SFrost
May. 26, 2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

FWIW, I have tried him in a KW with slots and a curb chain. He hated it and seemed to be really uncomfortable. I'm not opposed to down the line if we show "big" changing it up. As someone mentioned I feel like at this point this bit is the best for him. I just don't want to go into a show, no matter how little, looking like an asshat not following the rules.

I showed hunter/jumper as a kid but tack choice was never up to me. My trainer did all that. Looking back it would have been great for them to teach me the "rules" and what was normal for the hunter ring, but that was never a concern for them. Live and learn.

I have not ridden in a show in YEARS (about 10) so I thought I'd better ask before I went. Thanks again!

costco_muffins
May. 27, 2010, 04:01 PM
Would a Myler pelham that had an identical port and mouthpiece as your bit work? It would be more conventional and would have a similar action with the reins and curb.