PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into the show ring after a decade off! OMG!

mzw297
May. 25, 2010, 02:38 PM
I think I need some moral support because I am going to start showing again, as of this weekend, after a decade out of the show ring!!

I would love some great stories to help justify why I am putting myself through these nerves :lol:

Are there other adult ammies in my boots?

myalter1
May. 25, 2010, 03:03 PM
I hadn't show in about 15 years (did the jrs and big eq in my younger days) and stepped back into the show ring this year. I leased an AWESOME horse that I trust 100 times over. We do the adult eq and sometimes the AA hunters (although he really isn't a hunter). We just go out to have FUN. i really don't get too nervous this time around. When i was a jr, i did. But now, I just tell myself I am out there to have fun and just like to be out showing. I tell myself that I am 30 something w/ a full time job and a family and that I have no expectations. That being said, I've been pretty competitive and find myself pretty high up on the Marshall and Sterling standings and the Ariat regional standings. I'm loving it! You can do it! What will you be showing in?

Mayaty02
May. 25, 2010, 03:16 PM
ha well I can sympathize as I may find myself back in the show ring for the first time in 22 years! So trust me, I'm sure you'll do alot better than me! Keep us posted on how it goes!

netg
May. 25, 2010, 03:19 PM
I just switched to dressage, and my last show experiences were h/j in '99. I found that I appreciate my horse and showing more than ever, and that my expectations were very low. I was just going out to get my feet wet, so no perfection needed! (I then won both my classes... I'm sure my relaxation helped, as my horse definitely wasn't relaxed!)

Good luck, and remember - now it's on your terms. You get to choose what you do, when you do it, and if you even want to do it. An excellent rider need never show, so make the showing fun!

Mukluk
May. 25, 2010, 03:32 PM
Did my first show a few weeks ago after nearly 30 years (and completely out of riding for most of that time). It was just a schooling show but we did well. I had so much fun! (personal brag, we won 18 and over equitation- not the stiffest competition but still felt pretty good- and 2nd in 18" crossrails- horses first time ever in a show) Looking forward to doing it again! Next off to Mule Days to show my friends mule in halter (if she happens to chicken out).

barka.lounger
May. 25, 2010, 03:35 PM
bar.ka here

u come here to Rusty Breeches Stables and we get u tune.d. up strai.ght away.

u just re.member when u get to the jump, bend over. u be fine. if rated show, not 2 forget when u get to office bend over there to write ur che.ck 2.

TrakeGirl
May. 25, 2010, 03:44 PM
u just re.member when u get to the jump, bend over. u be fine.

I just burst out laughing here at work at that one.

I think this advice might have to be printed out and put on my corkboard in my tack trunk.

Showing this weekend in our first show of the year and the butterflies are already starting to flutter.

However – this calmed me right now. Of course!! How easy. Get to jump. Bend over. WE CAN DO IT!!

PoochPaddock
May. 25, 2010, 05:58 PM
u just re.member when u get to the jump, bend over. u be fine. if rated show, not 2 forget when u get to office bend over there to write ur che.ck 2.

I also burst out laughing on this one! I might just have to put this on my favorite quotes on my FB page. ok with you, Barka?

Fun Size
May. 25, 2010, 06:40 PM
I also burst out laughing on this one! I might just have to put this on my favorite quotes on my FB page. ok with you, Barka?

:D I did too. This needs to be printed out, framed, and put on the wall!

doublesstable
May. 25, 2010, 06:44 PM
bar.ka here

:lol:

Just returning home from a rated show (first one in 20 years, yeah and parents paid for those ones)

OUCH.... YOU ARE RIGHT ON.....my fingers hurt. So many fees.... eeekkkk.

Dont' forget to breath - there might be a fee for that too....

I took a decade off too.... actually it is much more fun now.. I'm just thrilled that I rememberd my course and come out of the arena with a big ole smile... but one word of caution - there was no sore bones and muscles when I used to do this stuff......

Make sure you have a massage or hot tub ready.

Have FUN!!!

Brooke
May. 25, 2010, 07:46 PM
After being out of the show ring for 30 some years, I find I don't have time to get nervous. Just memorizing the hunter course (outside, inside....or is it inside outside..?) takes up all my brain cells. Don't have any left for nerves.
Actually, I can go and just have fun now. No pressure. Especially since no one knows me now. I can make some really dumb mistake and who cares. Whaddya expect...I'm old! :)

Green Acres
May. 25, 2010, 08:38 PM
I agree with some othe of the other posts that as an adult I enjoy showing alot more now. When I was a junior/young adult I would get so nervous that I couldn't eat, my parents avoided me.

Now as an adult, I enjoy showing and if needed laugh at myself. :lol: I talk to myself and my horse on course and really enjoy it. Since I pay for my horses/showing now, it's a whole different experience than when I was a kid.

Just go have fun, don't set high expectations and let us know how it goes.

Brydelle Farm
May. 25, 2010, 09:32 PM
Welcome back to the show ring!! Have fun and Best wishes! ;)

jetsmom
May. 26, 2010, 02:39 AM
My first show back after not showing for 20 yrs:eek:, and only being a rerider for about a year with a 3 yr old greenie was "interesting". I had only jumped a line with him about 3 times. We went to an A show (there are no decent local shows here), and did Baby greens. We trotted in and were planning on cantering out but he was easier to settle if I stayed cantering. The course went by so fast, and I forgot to breathe and lost track of time, that I ended up repeating the first line at the end, because it seemed too soon to be done. So I went off course in a simple hunter round!

Oh well...we were there solely for schooling, so I got to school an extra 2 fences.

3DogNight
May. 26, 2010, 05:47 AM
After 8.5 years off due to a bad back and multiple surgeries, my surgeon finally gave me the go ahead to try riding again several months ago (well, I told him I was going to try getting on, and he didn't disagree). We are heading off this weekend to our first show since the fall of '01, though in the jumper ring this time (did Hunters and Eq previously). I was always very serious and competitive about my riding, now I'm just thankful that I'm able to ride at all. It's all about the fun this time (not that it wasn't fun before, I have just allowed myself to remove all of the pressure that I used to place on myself to win).

I think I'm as excited as I was for my very first show (some 40 years ago). We are going to take things easy and just attempt to get around the ring - and as an older adult, knowing that I have the power to say "if it's raining, I don't feel like showing" or "if it's too cold, I don't feel like showing" or "if I feel like crap, I don't have to show today" has really taken all of the stress out of it.

I don't have any "show nerves", just moments of panic that my age-addled brain will forget something important (like the saddle), so lists abound.

Have a great time, and enjoy yourself!

Mamy
May. 26, 2010, 07:39 AM
I was in my first show since 1995 this past Sunday. I was nervous, until I got in the ring. I rode my friends sale horse(my horse will not load currently) and I had only ridden her once before.(This adds to my chickenness,lol) But I made it through schooling, then made it through the flats and THEN remembered my courses! And It was FUN!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you have fun too. I promise it will not be as bad as the build up in your head makes you think it will be.

KitKat987
May. 26, 2010, 09:11 AM
I'll be heading to my first show in um, 12 or 13 years next weekend. I'm sure my field boots will reflect the fact too, but hey, they're still tall and black, so maybe no one will notice. Both my horses are 5 and quite green yet, so we'll be sticking to the very low divisions and unrated shows for the summer I think, which suits me just fine! Braiding is like riding a bike right?

spacytracy
May. 26, 2010, 11:15 AM
Can we start a support thread? I'm going to be showing in a few weeks (unrated, schooling show, but still!) and I'm already nervous that I'll screw up my course!

doublesstable
May. 26, 2010, 01:09 PM
Support group... YES....

Think of some names.....

Time out older rider clique that needs help remembering courses

The back in the saddle older show clique

The older rider show jumping clique - where am I going?

The having fun old gal show jumping clique

myalter1
May. 26, 2010, 01:10 PM
but I'm not old yet! I'm not even an older amateur yet!

doublesstable
May. 26, 2010, 01:15 PM
but I'm not old yet! I'm not even an older amateur yet!

Okay so how about

Back in the saddle and having fun jumping clique - will work.... - - :lol:

Gunnar
May. 26, 2010, 01:18 PM
When I got back into showing after 15 years I had a wonderful horse I leased. she was speedy but very honest. I went to Menlo Charity Horseshow, the biggest A show in NORCAl. What was I thinking! But she needed at least three foot jumps and the ring was little so easier to slow her down! I was so nervous, mostly performance anxiety! Thought I would die but I did pretty well.Alice packed my ammy ass around for sure. I did love that horse! :cool: Hunter courses were eaiser than anything we did at home! :winkgrin:

Good luck to you all. Remember to breath and look up where you should be going! :yes:

doublesstable
May. 26, 2010, 01:22 PM
Hey I found out there is already a clique for us... it's called

The re-riders clique.....

netg
May. 26, 2010, 01:38 PM
The back in the saddle older show clique

Back in the saddle again clique?

Then again, for some it may be back showing, not specifically back riding...?

spacytracy
May. 26, 2010, 01:46 PM
I like the "time out older rider clique that needs help remembering courses" LOL!

Amazing! Love it!

Lucassb
May. 26, 2010, 01:49 PM
bar.ka here

Sign me up to ride at Rusty Breeches.

This may be my favorite post of all time. Barka. U rock.

mzw297
May. 26, 2010, 02:54 PM
I loved the moments of panic that you reference here :) I seen to have those very often and its normally when i am a stride and (a half) away from a fence ;) oh yeah, and that I have to have all the tack AND remember his food!! :lol:

After 8.5 years off due to a bad back and multiple surgeries, my surgeon finally gave me the go ahead to try riding again several months ago (well, I told him I was going to try getting on, and he didn't disagree). We are heading off this weekend to our first show since the fall of '01, though in the jumper ring this time (did Hunters and Eq previously). I was always very serious and competitive about my riding, now I'm just thankful that I'm able to ride at all. It's all about the fun this time (not that it wasn't fun before, I have just allowed myself to remove all of the pressure that I used to place on myself to win).

I think I'm as excited as I was for my very first show (some 40 years ago). We are going to take things easy and just attempt to get around the ring - and as an older adult, knowing that I have the power to say "if it's raining, I don't feel like showing" or "if it's too cold, I don't feel like showing" or "if I feel like crap, I don't have to show today" has really taken all of the stress out of it.

I don't have any "show nerves", just moments of panic that my age-addled brain will forget something important (like the saddle), so lists abound.

Have a great time, and enjoy yourself!

mzw297
May. 26, 2010, 03:02 PM
I love all of the words of encouragement, and I think if there is not a support group out there then we should definately start one!!

Maybe the Creaky Bones Clique?
Hopeful Hunters, Part Deux :winkgrin:

I will definately give an update and I am hoping that it won't involve making my entire barn a batch of cookies for landing on my arss at an inopportune time!

Luckily the horse is a saint.

InWhyCee Redux
May. 26, 2010, 03:08 PM
u just re.member when u get to the jump, bend over. u be fine.

ROFLOL.:lol: And then stick your butt out like J.Lo.

doublesstable
May. 26, 2010, 03:18 PM
I love all of the words of encouragement, and I think if there is not a support group out there then we should definately start one!!

Maybe the Creaky Bones Clique?
Hopeful Hunters, Part Deux :winkgrin:

I will definately give an update and I am hoping that it won't involve making my entire barn a batch of cookies for landing on my arss at an inopportune time!

Luckily the horse is a saint.

:lol::lol:

Definately!!

How about - - Distinguished rider clique just trying to remember the course, the check book, the Ben Gay and your name..... :lol:

InWhyCee Redux
May. 26, 2010, 05:37 PM
... and Therefore Need a GPS to Find the In Gate, Not to Mention Our Dentures, Clique."

How about "The Let's See How Well You Ride, Missy, When You Actually Have to Go to Work in the Mornings and Don't Get the Summer Off and Mommy and Daddy Won't Pay for Your Lessons Anymore Clique"?

rockfordbuckeye
May. 26, 2010, 05:47 PM
I like the Rusty Breeches riders clique b/c most were riding actively as juniors when rusty breeches were the rage...

AliCat
May. 26, 2010, 06:22 PM
I am in my late 20's but had not seen the show ring for about 10 years. It took me 2 years of re-riding to get up the nerve to step back in the showring. I have had a wonderful time, and discovered a great network of adults like me at the barn.

AntrimDown
May. 26, 2010, 07:03 PM
Oh I hear ya loud and clear! Did my first show (long stirrup) last year and haven't shown in oh, maybe 18 years! I thought I would die! Honestly the worst part was trying to memorize the "simple" course! LOL! I never remember stressing about remembering a jump course. When did that happen?! Congrats for coming back!

Aerial
May. 26, 2010, 07:20 PM
bar.ka here

*snork* I should've known better than to take a drink just as I was reading your post. :lol:

RolyPolyPony
May. 26, 2010, 07:28 PM
Hah! I second the Rusty Breeches - last time I really showed, it was either in rust or "dove grey" breeches!

I'm hoping to do my first real show in July - I did do one at my lesson barn that was just for lesson students, and I was scared out of my mind. I expect to not sleep at all the week before this one, which, while still run by my lesson barn, is OFF-SITE! With SCARY PEOPLE I DO NOT KNOW! AHHHH!!!!!

Ahem :)

AliCat
May. 26, 2010, 07:40 PM
How about the "Where the hell am I going, pass me the PEPTO clique!

Mayaty02
May. 26, 2010, 08:30 PM
I am personally in favor of the following cliques:

The "Who the hell talked me into this???" clique
And the ever popular "If i'm going there had better be wine and cheese" clique

doublesstable
May. 26, 2010, 11:12 PM
I am personally in favor of the following cliques:

The "Who the hell talked me into this???" clique
And the ever popular "If i'm going there had better be wine and cheese" clique

:lol:

There were a few people sitting in the bleechers at the show this past weekend while I was riding - - drinking wine... I wanted to pass my horse to the groom and go sit with them... :lol: I know what your talking about....

"RUSTY BREECHES".. your right... in the 80's 90's - dove grey too.... :lol:

So it's the "Rusty Breeches clique"....

rockfordbuckeye
May. 27, 2010, 06:14 AM
I forgot about the dove grey but yes, I had a pair and coveted them..