PDA

View Full Version : Looking for places to ride near Dublin, Ireland

Renn/aissance
May. 25, 2010, 03:29 PM
I'll be studying abroad for a few weeks this June and would love to be able to ride on my free weekend, especially if I could go cross-country. Will be staying in Dublin. Have been looking at dublin.ie and Equestrian Holidays Ireland, but personal input from those who have been there would be appreciated. :)

gottagrey
May. 25, 2010, 03:59 PM
This is what a hotel operator I work with sent to me - these are closer to Dublin. I know a great place but it's about 2-3 hours from Dublin - PM if you might be interested in that.. would be great for the weekend -

Horse riding:
- Brennanstown Riding: 30 mins away : info@brennanstownrs.ie, private/group lessons, children's camp .
- Phoenix Park Stables, 10-20 mins away - Tel: (01) 8687000 - €50 / hour, 10% discount if over 10 pax.
Also:
- Calliaghstown Riding Centre: 30 mins away www.calliaghstownridingcentre.com, adult & children riding, holidays, riding school, Wicklow Trail Ride
- Carrickmines Equestrian Centre: 20 mins away info@carrickminesequestrian.ie, polocrosse, riding
- Killegar Stables: 30-40 mins www.killegarstables.com, killegar@gmail.com, Enniskerry village, riding school, pony club
- The Paddocks Riding Centre: Sandyford, D18 - 20 mins away www.paddocks.ie, info@paddocks.ie, riding lessons, rideouts

tigrrlily04
May. 25, 2010, 04:12 PM
My favorite vacation ever was riding in Ireland! I did the Wicklow trail ride through the Calliaghstown riding centre, and it was amazing! http://www.calliaghstownridingcentre.com/wicklow_trailride.html It was one of those things that I didn't really know what to expect so was a little weary, but it was an amazing trip and every bit as nice as the pictures they have on their website...one Kodak moment after another! The horses were all great...fit, happy, and easy going. It was incredibly well run, everything was spot on. Some days you'd stop at a local pub for lunch (literally ride right up to it and tie the horses!), and other times it would be a picnic in the woods. The accomodations were all really nice bed and breakfasts. If you have an extra week either before or after your studies I would definitely try to go on that trip! Just invest in a seat saver before you go ;)

Equilibrium
May. 25, 2010, 05:51 PM
Give me a PM when you get here. I'm in Co. Meath next to Dublin. I'm not a riding facility but if you feel like meeting a fellow CoTH American living abroad then come on.

Terri

IvyHall
May. 26, 2010, 09:28 PM
This is what a hotel operator I work with sent to me - these are closer to Dublin. I know a great place but it's about 2-3 hours from Dublin - PM if you might be interested in that.. would be great for the weekend -

Horse riding:
- Brennanstown Riding: 30 mins away : info@brennanstownrs.ie, private/group lessons, children's camp .
- Phoenix Park Stables, 10-20 mins away - Tel: (01) 8687000 - €50 / hour, 10% discount if over 10 pax.
Also:
- Calliaghstown Riding Centre: 30 mins away www.calliaghstownridingcentre.com, adult & children riding, holidays, riding school, Wicklow Trail Ride
- Carrickmines Equestrian Centre: 20 mins away info@carrickminesequestrian.ie, polocrosse, riding
- Killegar Stables: 30-40 mins www.killegarstables.com, killegar@gmail.com, Enniskerry village, riding school, pony club
- The Paddocks Riding Centre: Sandyford, D18 - 20 mins away www.paddocks.ie, info@paddocks.ie, riding lessons, rideouts

I spent part of a summer riding with Grainne Sugars at Calliaghstown riding center... and while it was quite sometime ago I have to say my experience was very positive.
Horses were well cared for, the facility was nice and I learned a ton during my stay. (Loved one of her horses so much I even considered importing her).

Have fun in Ireland!

asterix
May. 27, 2010, 10:54 AM
I also did the Wicklow ride through Calliaghstown -- this was 10 years ago, sorry to admit, but we had a blast, really nice horses, lots of fun.

Edited to add -- went to look at their pics, and they must have waited 3 years to get all those shots of people in Tshirts and in the sun! I wore my full length oilskin coat every day except one, and needed it. We went just about this time of year. So wherever you go, bring serious rain gear for riding!!!

Equilibrium
May. 27, 2010, 11:45 AM
I also did the Wicklow ride through Calliaghstown -- this was 10 years ago, sorry to admit, but we had a blast, really nice horses, lots of fun.

Edited to add -- went to look at their pics, and they must have waited 3 years to get all those shots of people in Tshirts and in the sun! I wore my full length oilskin coat every day except one, and needed it. We went just about this time of year. So wherever you go, bring serious rain gear for riding!!!

Tell me about it! The flannel sheets never come off the bed. But actually this looks like it might be our first nice summer in about 3 years so OP is picking a good time to come over. Last weekend was near 80 3 days in a row. Crazy times!

Terri

Renn/aissance
May. 27, 2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I e-mailed a few places today. :)