PDA

View Full Version : Dark Green Hunt Coat?

Mukluk
May. 25, 2010, 12:18 PM
Does anyone wear one? I am thinking of getting one because I have a chestnut mare, I love green, and I have green eyes. Since I am looking for a darker green, I am not thinking it is going to look goofy. Comments anyone?

Aerial
May. 25, 2010, 12:25 PM
http://www.photostockplus.com/home.php?user_id=11982&tmpl=31&event=261757&action=viewphoto&album_id=274890&rank=3&pcount=45

I've worn this one...think it looks alright.

PNWjumper
May. 25, 2010, 12:32 PM
I just found one of my old hunt coats (dark green) from when I was a kid (back when you wore rust breeches with your green hunt coat, or grey breeches with your navy hunt coat). I'm taking it up to Canada for a show this week. I always loved that coat and it's been stuffed in the back of my closet for too long! :)

(so that's a "yes" if you're keeping track!)

jennifersw
May. 25, 2010, 01:10 PM
my absolute favorite though it seems companies are mostly selling shades of blues, grays, and browns these days. agree...still have my old Heythrop; its a heavier weight which is wonderful for the Nov- March shows....not heavy like a hunt coat, just more substance than all of the (wonderful for summer) ultra- lightweight coats on today' s tack shop racks...
and yes, GORGEOUS on a chestnut!

RanchoAdobe
May. 25, 2010, 01:39 PM
My green coat (also from my junior days of rust breeches) is my absolute favorite. I wear it in the Ammy owner hunters at the AA shows and get more compliments on it than any other coat I own! I think green looks sharp in the hunters, so go for it!

Mukluk
May. 25, 2010, 01:51 PM
Nice to hear that people seem to like the idea- though I was probably going to do it anyway. Green and purple are my favorite colors. I got my last three jobs interviewing in a purple suit (a tasteful darker purple of course). But I'm thinking I would like a dark green better than purple for a hunt coat since it goes so well with my red head girl. When I get the coat, I'll try to post a picture of us in our new duds. Also like the idea of something different than the standard black and navy coats.

YankeeTurnedHillbilly
May. 25, 2010, 02:00 PM
I used to show my chestnut in a dark green coat and rich purple shirt! Loved it!

STA
May. 25, 2010, 02:02 PM
I wore a dark green jacket in the hunters and equitation for years. I thought it looked nice on my chestnut, bay, and gray horses.

headsupheelsdown
May. 25, 2010, 02:06 PM
It will look great! Wear it!

mypaintwattie
May. 25, 2010, 03:27 PM
I love my green coat! Here is a sample pic from when I first got it- I'm having it tailored and can't wait to wear it!

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/wattie824/P1040833.jpg

Mayaty02
May. 25, 2010, 03:34 PM
I love hunter or dark green in chestnuts! I just sold my old Pytchley dark dark green with a pinstripe (I guess the pinstripe is what dated it?) I was told green was passe....I hope that's not the case!

Mukluk
May. 25, 2010, 03:49 PM
I love hunter or dark green in chestnuts! I just sold my old Pytchley dark dark green with a pinstripe (I guess the pinstripe is what dated it?) I was told green was passe....I hope that's not the case!

As far as I'm concerned if it looks great it doesn't matter! Besides I think it's nice to stand out a little from the crowd. I can't imagine a judge would mark you down for having a different colored coat- so long as it is classy.

Mayaty02
May. 25, 2010, 03:53 PM
As far as I'm concerned if it looks great it doesn't matter! Besides I think it's nice to stand out a little from the crowd. I can't imagine a judge would mark you down for having a different colored coat- so long as it is classy.

I totally agree with you :)

GreystoneKC
May. 25, 2010, 11:38 PM
Love green. Would love to see it come back. Even the old-school green. Looks amazing on chestnut.

Simbalism
May. 26, 2010, 12:46 AM
My favorite coat is a dark green coat with a subtle pattern woven in the material. It always looked great with my chestnut mare. I have a dark terra cotta colored shirt that I wore with it.

pattnic
May. 26, 2010, 11:06 AM
I love a green coat, but an olive green is a little more in vogue right now than a hunter green. However, even olive greens are a bit passe right now... but that doesn't mean I don't have one! I haven't yet had a chance to wear it (minimal show budget = minimal shows), but if I manage to get to Morgan Nationals this year, I'm definitely going to rock it.

I would definitely go with the darkest green possible if I were to buy a new green coat. There was a super-dark olive by Grand Prix a few years ago that looked almost black. I drooled many a time over that coat, but well, small show budget also = small show apparel budget, and when you already have 3 coats you've never worn, and 3 that you have, well...

(Yes, I'm slightly obsessed with hunt coats... and show shirts... and bridles...)

supaflyskye
May. 26, 2010, 01:04 PM
I love a green hunt coat!
I must say, though, that I don't think my tastes are nearly as conservative as you all's. I can hardly tell that the coats in the pictures posted are green!
This (http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Lonely_Equine2/greencoat.jpg) is my favourite coat. NOTE: picture is not mine, it's from the ebay listing I bought it off.
My trainer will not let me show in it, she thinks it's too blatantly out of style. green and pinstripe. :(

I think that green needs to be a trend again. So yes, go for it!

luvs2ridewbs
May. 26, 2010, 01:25 PM
I miss the old school hunter green!