PDA

View Full Version : It's here!!! (The CWD Saddle!!!!)

Fun Size
May. 24, 2010, 06:34 PM
I came home to a great big beautiful CWD box this afternoon!

JOY!! I get to ride in it Tuesday, but probably won't have pics of me riding in it until the weekend when the husband will be with me :D

These pictures are from before I conditioned it for the first time. I thought it would be fun to keep track of the color :D

CWD Saddle Pic 1 (http://stetsonphotos.smugmug.com/photos/877782707_kAEBM-M.jpg)

Pic 2 (http://stetsonphotos.smugmug.com/photos/877781414_7tfcK-M.jpg)

This is a SE02, seat size 17, 1 flap (short).

klmck63
May. 24, 2010, 07:13 PM
*drool*

I have a used CWD, gorgeous saddle but it wasn't babied in it's younger years as much as I would have babied it. It even has (:eek:) some nicks in the cantle. Functionally fine, nice saddle at the right price, but not in perfect shape like I wish!

wanderlust
May. 24, 2010, 07:27 PM
Welcome to the CWD club! As I always say, you'd have to pry mine out of my cold dead hands. I have the SE01, and even on my exuberant 4yo, I always feel centered and right where I should be.

doublesstable
May. 24, 2010, 07:33 PM
*drool*

DITTO....

CONGRATS on your new baby... look forward to seeing it in action!

(PS - looked at the Camelot series - looks awesome... thinking about Nov show at Industry Hills)....

Artemis
May. 24, 2010, 07:34 PM
Great saddle! I love CWDs, I can't wait till I can have one of my own!

Nikki^
May. 24, 2010, 07:42 PM
Fantastic!:D Welcome to club CWD. I remember when I got my SE01.

You are in for a treat breaking in the saddle.:D It will feel a but weird at first but once it's broken in... Heaven.

mvp
May. 24, 2010, 08:10 PM
Oh man, that's beautiful. I like its shape a lot.

Congratulations!

Treasmare2
May. 24, 2010, 08:19 PM
This is a very sad thing....its a 17 with a 1 flap? I think you got my saddle by mistake so just put it back in the box and send it on to me. Seriously, it is beautiful and enjoy it and remember a good saddle is not spoilt or being a princess ..... its safety equiment.:yes: Yours is a total beauty!!!! Is it a medium deep seat?

spmoonie
May. 24, 2010, 08:45 PM
Im so jealous!!! :eek::winkgrin:

mojo7777
May. 24, 2010, 09:25 PM
That is one beautiful saddle!

Go Fish
May. 24, 2010, 09:53 PM
Probably the reason I like this saddle is because it's so similar to my old PJ Original. If I ever go shopping for a new saddle, I would definately consider the CWD. Rode a couple of times in one and LOVED it!

Fun Size
May. 24, 2010, 10:58 PM
This is a very sad thing....its a 17 with a 1 flap? I think you got my saddle by mistake so just put it back in the box and send it on to me. Seriously, it is beautiful and enjoy it and remember a good saddle is not spoilt or being a princess ..... its safety equiment.:yes: Yours is a total beauty!!!! Is it a medium deep seat?

Yes, medium deep with the short flap :D

Trainer + our wonderful CWD rep had me in a flat and the medium deep, and neither one liked where the flat put me. I've only gotten to demo the regular length flap so far, so I'm totally excited to try the short flap tomorrow!

:D

Tuesday's Child
May. 24, 2010, 11:02 PM
Oooohhhh I'm so jealous!! It's gorgeous... I am going to start saving my money so I can buy one one day :)

mvp
May. 25, 2010, 07:38 AM
Given the recent hubbub about flap length and all-- instigated by yours truly-- would you kindly post some pics of this fine-fitting saddle when you get a chance?

Besides-- I can tell you are going to make a whole "baby grows up" photo album that chronicles the milestones in this saddle's life. You did get 1-day old shots, so you're off to a good start!

Fun Size
May. 25, 2010, 04:06 PM
Will do! Saturday I will have pics of me riding in it.

I rode in it today, and it seemed very weird. I felt like I was much more in the middle of my horse, and it made my horse feel...well, skinnier! Trainer said it was because it was letting me wrap my legs around him instead of having them stick out.

Also, my right (bad) leg was in a very good position, but my left was doing weird things...swinging, flapping, and feeling like it was going to break off just above the ankle (the tendon/muscle that runs up the outside of your shin/calf).

My theory is that my left, dominant leg has muscled up to try and hold still in my old saddle, and it is so strong it fights the position of the new saddle. The right one looks good because it is weaker and isn't trying to fight.

Just a thought :D

I'll keep you guys updated!

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
May. 25, 2010, 04:40 PM
Right on! I just got my cross flat saddle a few weeks ago and of course... LOVE it

Jumpthemoon16
May. 25, 2010, 05:31 PM
Awesome! I don't think I could live without my SE02

tbhuntergirl
May. 25, 2010, 06:41 PM
Jealous!

TrakeGirl
May. 25, 2010, 09:58 PM
Odd that you say that - my right leg was always my bad leg too and I just got a new, fits my horse perfectly Amerigo DJ. My right side looks perfect, but my left leg is all sorts of wonky in this new saddle!

I did measure my stirrup leathers and found out my left stirrup leather was 1/2 inch shorter than the right so I adjusted and that helped a bit.

But yeah...it is just like my right leg lays there perfectly and I am fighting a little to be able to keep my left heel down now. And it was the dead exact opposite in my Frenchie saddle that didn't fit my horse. I always had trouble with weight in my right leg.

That being said - over all - I am so much more balanced and able to wrap my legs around my horse. Hopefully the legs will adjust!

Fun Size
May. 25, 2010, 11:18 PM
TrakeGirl - I'm so glad it isn't just me!!

I really think it is just that my "good" leg is so much more muscled up than my "bad" leg, it is fighting the new position! So it made my bad/dumb leg look better, because it just lies there anyway!

Weird.

My trainer's comment on my facebook today was "you just need to break it in a little...and it needs to break YOU in a little!!"

My trainer is a crack-up. :D

pippa553
May. 26, 2010, 02:40 AM
Sweet!! You went with the grain/calf right? How long did it take to arrive? Congrats :yes:

Clarence
May. 26, 2010, 02:06 PM
Congrats on the saddle. Very nice.

I am curious though, what is all the talk about the flaps? What does 1 flap (vs. 2, I guess) mean?
How does the flaplength influence the rider?

I have seen the flap-stuff mentioned before, but never understood, so I hope someone can educate me (or send me to an appropriate thread).

Many thanks and sorry to hijack your nice saddle thread. It is truly lovely.

- C

MILOUTE55
Jun. 3, 2010, 04:53 PM
Congrats on the saddle. Very nice.

I am curious though, what is all the talk about the flaps? What does 1 flap (vs. 2, I guess) mean?
How does the flaplength influence the rider?

I have seen the flap-stuff mentioned before, but never understood, so I hope someone can educate me (or send me to an appropriate thread).

Many thanks and sorry to hijack your nice saddle thread. It is truly lovely.

- C

The flap size is determined by the rider's size, their length of legs and position (wearing short or long stirrup leathers, riding mostly jumper, dressage, or hunter/jumper).
It is important to have the proper flap size for technical but also for aesthetic reasons. Most riders don't want their knees to stick out of the flap at the front. Even though you can ride this way, the visual effect is definitely not great and the weight of the rider is not spread evenly on the saddle.
Nobody wants a huge flap that isn't adapted to the rider's leg either.
It is also a question of comfort... a saddle is custom made for the horse and for the rider. The panels (underpart) and tree width are the parts that are custom made for the horse, the seat, kneepads and flaps (and the blocks also) are the part that are custom made for the rider.
I hope that helps,

Amandine
CWD

Fun Size
Jun. 3, 2010, 08:51 PM
Yep, mine was a 1 flap (short) with blocking that my trainer specified for my sometimes wonky leg!

It took about 5 weeks, I think. WAY shorter than the "official" time, so that was pretty cool.

I love it so far!! :D

Like I mentioned on another thread, it is putting me in a better position. My weaker right leg is laying where it is supposed to go and behaving itself.

My stronger left leg, as doublestable put it, is being told it is bad!!

You know when your leg is being stupid and you get your stirrups tied to the girth? And it makes the tendon that runs down the outside of your calf/ankle hurt because it is making your toe point forward and heel down instead of toe out and back of calf on the horse?

Yeah that is what it feels like. So ow. It takes 2 weeks of me riding with stirrups tied for it to not hurt, so I'll give the saddle at least that long!

It only has 7 rides on it so far, but I have been diligent with conditioning it with the yellow CWD stuff and it is starting to break in :D

Fun Size
Jun. 3, 2010, 08:52 PM
Sweet!! You went with the grain/calf right? How long did it take to arrive? Congrats :yes:

Yep, grain/calf. I love it!

Justice
Jun. 3, 2010, 11:08 PM
You are going to LOVE it! Congratulations.

Iride
Jun. 4, 2010, 04:18 PM
Those of you with CWD saddles, are they wool flocked, or foam?

I love the Amerigos and the fact that they're wool flocked, too, but have been curious to try a CWD. I have a CWD figure 8 bridle and braided reins which are really nice.

Dazednconfused
Jun. 4, 2010, 06:08 PM
We have a number of very nice saddles in our barn (Antares, Devoucoux, CWD, etc) and the one CWD is definitely my favorite. It's very well made and easy to sit. I think for some it might be a bit much in the padding department, but I find it very comfortable. I believe ours is wool flocked. Congrats :)