PDA

View Full Version : best place to live in California

Fharoah
May. 24, 2010, 07:23 PM
Where is the best ridding area in California? With the warmest winters? I ride ammy hunters and equitation.

Fun Size
May. 24, 2010, 07:37 PM
I would say pretty much anywhere in California would be great. I used to live in northern California, near Sacramento, and the riding was great up there.

Now I'm in Southern California, in the San Fernando Valley. Here I am close to the Los Angeles Equestrian Center, and central to the Thermal shows, the Oaks, and Santa Barbara which is nice.

Good luck!

easykeeper
May. 24, 2010, 07:50 PM
I grew up in Clayton, CA...the foothills of Mt. Diablo (N. CA East Bay). Awesome trail riding..I was one lucky kid! Now I live in N. Virginia and one lucky horsie adult!

*jumper*
May. 24, 2010, 11:38 PM
Best place to live? Central Coast. Don't tell anyone though! :)

Best place to ride? Probably SoCal...you've got the Oaks, Showpark, Thermal, Del Mar, LA within a few hours of each other.

Mukluk
May. 24, 2010, 11:46 PM
Malibu. If it's good enough for Malibu Barbie, why then it's good enough for anyone!!! Bring lots of money though!

Tobias
May. 24, 2010, 11:47 PM
I think CA is horrible, NOT WORTH IT!!! My poor horse has not tasted good grass in three years, and Neither have I!!!!!

lol But if you are ok with heat, Then SoCal would be great! LOTS of horsey people here, Temecula especially!

indygirl2560
May. 24, 2010, 11:48 PM
I've lived in both SoCal and NorCal and they both have their own issues. I'm currently in NorCal(near Sacramento) and not only has the weather been great lately, but there are no shortage of shows up here either. Obviously there are some super big shows down in the LA area, but Murieta Equestrian and Leone's are gaining strength!

SuperSTB
May. 24, 2010, 11:50 PM
We're in So Cal... it's very horsey where I'm at. You get a warm fuzzy feeling when you drive to a show or trails or where ever in the weekend mornings and half the other vehicles out there are hauling horse trailers :) Nobody bats an eye when you pop into the grocery store smelling like a horse or wearing your riding clothes since practically everyone else is too.

Half the people I work with in Construction Mgmt, own and ride horses, which back east I was the only one.

We ride/drive year round.

Jumpthemoon16
May. 24, 2010, 11:51 PM
I'd say either go for the Bay Area or down in SoCal. In the Bay Area you've got some amazing, top quality H/J/Eq barns and it's close to the big shows like Pebble, Woodside, Murieta, Sonoma, Leone... As others said, SoCal also has its excellent barns & big shows. When you are out 'in the middle' of the state, there are fewer barns and the trailer time out to the shows can be ridiculous.

Andrew
May. 24, 2010, 11:54 PM
La Jolla .... Rancho Santa Fe

May. 25, 2010, 12:32 AM
It depends how much money you have. ;)

Peggy
May. 25, 2010, 01:24 AM
Warmer winters as you go further south and more towards the coast. There is a climate shift north vs south of Point Conception, both with respect to temperature and rainfall.

Hotter summers further south and further inland.

Thus, coastal southern California is the best balance, IMHO, in terms of warmer winters and not too-hot summers. Of course, pretty much everyone else has figured this out, and it's the most expensive place to live.

Lots of shows, both to watch and ride in, in the area defined by LA to the north and San Diego to the south.

We may not have green grass year round, but where else can you pick oranges at the barn and have a roadrunner come and catch your mice?

fascination
May. 25, 2010, 01:34 AM
How much $$ are you thinking?

Bay area:
• Petaluma/Santa Rosa: lots of barns, easy hauling to Sac for shows, roughly an hour from SF with traffic. The city = expensive, whereas Petaluma is a bit cheaper.
• Woodside/Palo Alto: lots of lots of nifty barns (training center), REALLY expensive, close to shows... a bit further from Sac and ~30 minutes south of SF. Closer to Pebble... buuut Pebble working its way up to the Sonoma Horse Park (which is super close to Petaluma, so...)
• Sacramento: Very close to big shows (Leone's, Murieta [where the SIHS is]) and lots of different barns to choose from. Living can be either very cheap or very expensive, depends if you're going for city or country (so basically, it's a lot like the deal with the Bay Area, just closer to the primo-showing).

Keep in mind that many NorCal barns ship north during the summer for Oregon (JBarJ's show) and Spruce... though I guess Spruce is a whole 'nother beast in and of itself.

SoCal: I don't know much, as I am a biased NorCal fan ;)

Hope you find a great barn!

ETA: about weather:
Petaluma: SUPER windy, sticks around 45º, if it fluctuates, it fluctuates upward.
Woodside: Rainy (though most barns have indoors) and not too cold, I would guess around low to mid fifties.
Sacramento: Rainy, but just typical NorCal weather, I don't think it snows :eek:

I think, as far as weather in the winter goes, SoCal could have us beat... but hey, winter could surely be worse. I hardly think 45º is roughing it :)

Fun Size
May. 25, 2010, 01:42 AM
Exactly! Places like Malibu, Marina Del Rey, the beach/coastal areas....well, they are the most expensive. I've found Burbank to be a nice balance. According to our garden zone, we get both coastal and thermal influence.

It doesn't get as hot here as it does up in Valencia or down towards San Diego, or east towards Riverside, and we rarely have "rain days" at the barn. Within two hours are the LAEC, Santa Barbara, and Oaks shows. I've grown to like Southern CA, but it took a LOT of getting used to coming from the Sacramento area.

doublesstable
May. 25, 2010, 02:02 AM
I live in So Cal and you can't beat the weather. It gets down to 70 and I think it's cold. I have lived here all my life, however, sadly I have seen it change. LOTS of concrete now. The fields I rode through when I was a kid are now commercial buildings...

I have a little slice of horses in my area left, but if I were relocating and staying in So Cal, I would go out to Fallbrook/Temecula area. Lots of good H/J barns and shows not too far away.

If money is not an issue then up to Napa I would go...... or the Montery area (Pebble Beach)... BEAUTIFUL.. a bit windy and cold however (for me anyway) But lots of vinyards and ocean views.....

ljc
May. 25, 2010, 02:28 AM
Are you coming here???? We'd love to have you.

I was in Northern California for the first 48 years of my life, the Bay Area to be precise. Woodside is great horse country, but very expensive. Other parts of the Bay Area and the Sacramento area are also great for h/j.

Moved down south nearly seven years ago. Much warmer winters. I'm in Ojai, about 75 minutes north of LA, closer to Santa Barbara if you looked on a map. This part of the coast doesn't have a huge h/j world until you head closer to LA so I can't recommend it (apart from Santa Barbara, which does have a few good trainers).

The further south you go, the more options you have. It'll be quite different from your neck of the woods! We have better vets down here than you do, however!

KateKat
May. 25, 2010, 11:37 AM
definitely head south for warmer winters, just like a bird :) Central coast is awesome (Santa Barbara, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo), if you don't mind traffic up the wazoo go further south to the LA area like others have suggested.

I live in Sacramento proper, summers are hot (probably a total of about 10-12 days of triple digits), winters are fairly mild (we did get a lot of rain this year, I think the coldest it got was in the 20's). There is a ton of horse stuff in the area, I live about 15 minutes away from Murieta and Leones, my barn is probably about 20 minutes away. And housing prices right now are insane here. Traffic is fine, and Sacramento is definitely moving up in terms of restaurants and things to do. Plus, only 1.5 hours away from SF and Lake Tahoe in different directions. Pitch over :)

STA
May. 25, 2010, 02:59 PM
I lived in Westlake Village, CA during my junior years and early ammy years. Loved it and still miss my time there.

When I lived in Westlake there was only one place to ride, Foxfield, now there are more stables in the area. I have ridden at stables from the west coast to the east coast and have not found one better, in any catagory, than Foxfield.

RugBug
May. 25, 2010, 04:11 PM
Best place to live? Central Coast. Don't tell anyone though! :)

Nonsense. The Central Coast is awful! I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to live there. :winkgrin:

edited to add: it's probably not a great place for a hunter rider, even though it's lovely. It's mostly eventing around here with a bit of H/J sprinkled in.

mypaintwattie
May. 25, 2010, 04:22 PM
SoCal- Orange County! Lots of shows, a wide variety of boarding to meet anyone's needs, and you still can spot malibu barbie in the Ferrari next to you as you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway!

Mukluk
May. 25, 2010, 04:24 PM
Exactly! Places like Malibu, Marina Del Rey, the beach/coastal areas....well, they are the most expensive. I've found Burbank to be a nice balance. According to our garden zone, we get both coastal and thermal influence.

It doesn't get as hot here as it does up in Valencia or down towards San Diego, or east towards Riverside, and we rarely have "rain days" at the barn. Within two hours are the LAEC, Santa Barbara, and Oaks shows. I've grown to like Southern CA, but it took a LOT of getting used to coming from the Sacramento area.

Glad you are happy there. As for me, I grew up in So Cal (SF valley and the San Diego for college + a few more years). What I hate about So Cal. TRAFFIC!!!! Way too many people. SF Valley (including Burbank) too hot and smoggy for me. Materialism run amok (that said, if you like shopping you will have plenty of it). Also all Californians deal with drought, high cost of living, a budget crisis, and our local natural disasters (fires, mudslides, and earthquakes). To the OP do hope you will end up where you are happy. I am very happily out of So. Cal but still in California.

norcalammie
May. 25, 2010, 05:08 PM
I grew up in Southern California and loved it but that was years ago and traffic was not as bad as it is now. Grew up on the Palos Verdes Peninsula/Rolling Hills area which is has riding trails and lots of horses and you could ride for hours. Last time I was down I hated the amount of traffic as no matter where you go in Southern California you will find traffic.

Went to school in San Luis Obispo and loved the area. Not close to much of anything horse wise although there is quite a bit of eventing in the area now.

Now live in Northern California and love it. I prefer the East Bay as traffic is less and it is pretty easy to get around. Easy commute to the Sacramento area for shows or to Petaluma for the new Riverside Equestrian Center where the old Pebble Beach shows will be held this year. Also easy commute to Woodside Horse Park and Menlo on weekends - traffic during the week.

Consider the East Bay as there are some good barns in the area and lots of friendly people.

Mukluk
May. 25, 2010, 05:23 PM
SoCal- Orange County! Lots of shows, a wide variety of boarding to meet anyone's needs, and you still can spot malibu barbie in the Ferrari next to you as you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway!

No thanks. Still recall driving from San Diego to the Valley when I was in college and seeing a total platinum blonde bimbo looking girl driving a hot PINK convertible (I'm sure it was a jag or a mercedes or something else pricey). It was on the 405 going into the Valley (near Encino). Don't miss that AT ALL!!!

MILOUTE55
May. 25, 2010, 06:52 PM
I think Burbank is great IF you don't have to commute! I lived walking distance from work and now I have a 6 minute-no-freeway drive to get to work which is complete luxury in LA! (hubby has to drive an hour to and back from work... yeah, I picked the location...)
My work is also walking distance from the Los Angeles Equestrian Center, which offers many different stabling/riding options (I don't know much about it though since beloved horse-related job doesn't currently leave me enough time off to ride).
Oh, and the "Malibu bimbo" can also be seen riding horses at shows ;)

Fun Size
May. 25, 2010, 07:15 PM
I think Burbank is great IF you don't have to commute! I lived walking distance from work and now I have a 6 minute-no-freeway drive to get to work which is complete luxury in LA! (hubby has to drive an hour to and back from work... yeah, I picked the location...)
My work is also walking distance from the Los Angeles Equestrian Center, which offers many different stabling/riding options (I don't know much about it though since beloved horse-related job doesn't currently leave me enough time off to ride).
Oh, and the "Malibu bimbo" can also be seen riding horses at shows ;)

You are right about that! I'm teaching at NoHo high school right now, and I think my commute is like 6 minutes. My husband is a contractor, and works everywhere from the SF valley, to Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Pacific Palisades, Downtown LA, Pomona....so Burbank is great because it is central to all of those areas.

Get on the freeway before 7:30, or you will hate yourself!

doublesstable
May. 25, 2010, 07:23 PM
You are right about that! I'm teaching at NoHo high school right now, and I think my commute is like 6 minutes. My husband is a contractor, and works everywhere from the SF valley, to Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Pacific Palisades, Downtown LA, Pomona....so Burbank is great because it is central to all of those areas.

Get on the freeway before 7:30, or you will hate yourself!

Yeah, I guess that's a pretty big thing to over look - huh - (traffic). I work from home and my contractor husband drives everywhere too. So Cal is very central and offers a lot of construction work options - - but it is "he" who battles the crazy drivers on the roads - not me. I think I would go crazy myself if I had to deal w/ traffic every day.

But you have to put up with one thing to gain another.... it all depends on what you really want in your life and what you can tolerate and what you can't.

forestergirl99
May. 25, 2010, 08:27 PM
The San Fernando valley is lovely. So the the area up around Yosemite.

Brooke
May. 25, 2010, 08:31 PM
If you want great weather, some great trainers, terrific shows, North County San Diego or the southern part of Riverside County (Temecula) can't be beat in my opinion. There are some lovely places in Northern California ( I grew up there), and some great trainers, but the weather down .... well, it can't compare.

Chef Jade
May. 25, 2010, 08:59 PM
If money wasn't an issue, Rancho Santa Fe, for sure! Otherwise, I like the La Cresta and Temecula area. However, where I ride, in south Orange County, we are close to so many shows, have great weather (and beach), and don't have too much traffic to contend with.

BLBGP
May. 26, 2010, 12:01 AM
Totally depends on money, lifestyle, and your tolerance for commuting. I personally love the Monterey bay area and have also lived in SF and Tahoe (which certainly aren't bad, either). All California, but all markedly different from each other. What are you looking for? Do you need to work?

Wanderluster
May. 26, 2010, 12:35 AM
No thanks. Still recall driving from San Diego to the Valley when I was in college and seeing a total platinum blond bimbo looking girl driving a hot PINK convertible
Wasn't there a woman who was a self made "celebrity" that drove a pink car and had billboards that had a tantalizing picture with her name ? Darn it I can't remember but maybe someone else will.
I am a 4th generation native. My great grandmother was born in San Francisco (I have a copy of her birth certificate) . I love the state for all the diversity of people, only get on the fwys when I have to and have plenty of music/books on tape diversions, and every day appreciate the aesthetic beauty of the mountains, coastline and desert,
There are a few areas where you can still get a great deal on real estate ~ think Barstow for example. It has a really cool ginormous McDonalds built to resemble a train and is half way to Vegas. :)

*jumper*
May. 26, 2010, 12:53 AM
Nonsense. The Central Coast is awful! I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to live there. :winkgrin:

edited to add: it's probably not a great place for a hunter rider, even though it's lovely. It's mostly eventing around here with a bit of H/J sprinkled in.

It's a horrible, horrible place :)

That's my problem though...as soon as I'm done with college I'm afraid I'm going to have to move back down south if I want to work for a trainer. And yeah, the hunter scene up here is pretty nonexistent.

Wonders12
May. 26, 2010, 01:05 AM
I'll add my two cents. I grew up just outside of Burbank in a funny little place called Shadow Hills. But if anyone asks, I grew up in Burbank. Since there's so much talk about it specifically: I think it's a wonderful place to live. It's a "small town" in the middle of L.A. Everyone knows each other, there's a football rivalry between the two high schools in town, people born in Burbank tend to spend their lives there. If I had to live in L.A., I think that would be high on my list. Access to shows, trainers, even some "trails."

I'm currently at school in Northern California. North Bay, Sonoma County to be more specific. This may sound silly, but there were 3 things I never knew about from living in L.A. Birds, air, and grass. There are birds, lots of birds, and birds different than just crows and pigeons. The air is clean(er), you can breathe! And grass actually grows on its own, just because it can. :)

Anyways... off topic. I LOVE it up here. I'm so happy, it's so horsey, the weather is amazing. It is a little "cold" in the winter with days rainy and in the 30s. The north bay is more rainy than the rest of the bay area. But "cold" is completely relevant depending on where you're coming from.

If you've got the money and patience to live in So Cal, the weather is great and the horses are fancy. But I am very happy up here for now. I think it's unbeatable.

Peggy
May. 26, 2010, 01:46 AM
Wasn't there a woman who was a self made "celebrity" that drove a pink car and had billboards that had a tantalizing picture with her name ? Darn it I can't remember but maybe someone else will.
...Angelyne? (tho I will confess to googling)

jenm
May. 26, 2010, 03:15 AM
Where is the best ridding area in California? With the warmest winters? I ride ammy hunters and equitation.

It depends on what sort of environment you want your horse to live in. The more north you are, the better chances you have for your horse to have good turn out and for you to have access to trails if you want to have diversity for your horse. I board in Palo Alto, very near the Horsepark where the Woodside series is held, but if I want to ride trails I have to trailer out. The good part is I don't have to trailer far. However, board is expensive and if you don't have a trailer, you are stuck with small turnout for your horse.

Also, everything is very expensive in the Bay Area. If you have a choice, I would vote for the Sacramento area.

Bearhunter
May. 26, 2010, 09:49 AM
Angelyne? (tho I will confess to googling)

Yep. :yes:

http://www.buzzhollywood.com/celebrity-news/perezhilton/angelyne-graces-us-with-her-presence/

Coreene
May. 26, 2010, 09:56 AM
I live less than a mile from the beach, my horse is just a few miles from the beach, my office is just a few miles from Newport's Back Bay - this means the weather is fab all the time. Not too hot, not too cold, no need for AC in my house, super trainers in The OC, lots of fab shows within 90 minutes from the barn. They didn't make "The OC," two MTV reality shows and Real Housewives because it's an ugly ass place to live. ;)

SuperSTB
May. 26, 2010, 02:50 PM
I work for a large contractor so we have projects from San Diego up through Los Angeles. I'm pretty experienced in traffic nowadays. I guess after a while you learn to negotiate your day around it. I also communte w/ DH which saves on the drive times.

They didn't make "The OC," two MTV reality shows and Real Housewives because it's an ugly ass place to live. ;)

ROTFLOL- thanks, that was awesome.

two sticks
May. 26, 2010, 04:59 PM
Angelyne? (tho I will confess to googling)

OOoooo I see her in the hot pink corvette in ventura pretty frequently. License plate says Anglyne or something like that.

EquineRacers
May. 26, 2010, 08:36 PM
I'm in the LA area and everytime of the year is great! If you have $$$ to burn I'd suggest OC Fair Grounds, Huntington Beach, Los Angeles, etc

TheBrownHorse
May. 26, 2010, 08:56 PM
Bay Area! North bay to be exact (petalumaish area)

I grew up riding in Santa Rosa and now ride in Petaluma. Lots of great barns and nice trainers.

beautiful weather, though it gets a little "cold" in winter, but it's fabulous and the people and environment are hard to beat.

I lived in Long Beach for a while, and though it's nice, I have to say I like the people here better.

Alameda
May. 26, 2010, 09:23 PM
I suggest Alameda :winkgrin: ca-ching

IdahoRider
May. 27, 2010, 11:50 PM
I suggest Alameda :winkgrin: ca-ching
I was born and raised in Alameda! I lived most of my life right there on the island, until we moved here to Idaho just after my 37th birthday.
Sheilah

Mukluk
May. 28, 2010, 11:29 AM
Get a copy of Places Rated it will have all kinds of stats on weather, shopping, crime rate, etc etc. Also plan a trip out here (I would allow 2 weeks as California is a BIG state) and visit places that you are thinking of (less if you are only looking at one region). I think you would want two weeks if you are investigating So Cal and No Cal. Good luck. You have to tell us where you end up!

http://www.amazon.com/Places-Rated-Almanac-Classic-Finding/dp/0979319900/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275056970&sr=1-1

Justice
Jun. 2, 2010, 10:11 PM
Another vote for Westlake! Malibu is beautiful, but a little remote and prone to natural disasters.

Fancy That
Jun. 3, 2010, 12:26 AM
Great thread! I grew up in the heart of Silicon Valley and believe it or not, there are great places to board all over here. You look to the foothills on either side, and there is always horse country! Everywhere from Los Altos Hills, Palo Alto, Woodside, Portola Valley, Saratoga, Cupertino Hills and down into San Jose (Almaden)

I actually now have my own ranch (5 acres) in Santa Clara County - at the southern part of the county...my own slice of heaven.

Went to school in San Luis Obispo and it's GORGEOUS down there, but not as much in the way of jobs (what's your career?)

SoCal has tons of H/J stuff and warmer weather....but heck, the weather is GREAT up here too.

Just depends on what you are looking for.

rooroo8
Jun. 3, 2010, 12:35 AM
Lived in Chico, CA for 4 years, loved it. Lots of elbow room!!

HARROLDhasmyheart
Jun. 3, 2010, 02:40 AM
I was born and raised in Northern California-the Bay Area is a great place :) I have one more year left at LMU, which is in Marina Del Rey. LA/Southern California is a great place, just very very different than the other half of the state.

My favorite thing about the Bay Area, horse wise at least-there are a lot of trainers and barns within a 5 mile radius (Portola Valley/Woodside), as well as 2 A-AA show facilities in that same radius (Woodside and Menlo). Non-horse wise: it is not always 100 degrees, the carpool lane only runs M-F 5am-9am and 3pm-7pm, and I have this theory that people are more relaxed and immediately friendly. Just a theory, not a dig on anyone from southern California.

With that said, LA is a place like no other. It is warm virtually all year round, there are beautiful show facilities up and down the coast, and competition is a bit stiffer on the A circuit than up North, for the most part. With that said, there is a local circuit in San Diego that is great, especially for horses that don't really have a "specialty" (such as an AA or AO horse, rather than somewhere in between). There's not really a comparable circuit up North, and least that I know of.

The one thing that KILLS me about LA is, as others have mentioned...the traffic. For those of you locals: I go to school in Marina Del Rey and ride in Calabasas. Hello 405 to the 101 North during pre-rush hour. Luckily, the PCH makes a nice and pretty way to go home :).

Hope this helps at all-good luck!