PDA

View Full Version : SmartPak Plymouth bridle?

eqrider1234
May. 24, 2010, 04:08 PM
Bridle shopping again! With two horses that go in multiple bits each it is again time for another bridle. My favorite bridle that I have is my aramas, I absolutly love the quality but for my new bridle I want to keep it under or as close to a hundred dollars. I bought the Harwhich, but I ended up returning it because I wasnt crazy about the throat latch and I thought the noseband was rather thick, but I did love the leather quality as I thought it was pretty similar to my aramas but like half the price. This bridle will be used only for flat classes at horse shows for one of my horses which is why I do not want to spend a ton! So for those of you who have the plymouth...

What is the leather like?

Does it oil to a dark color like the aramas/edgewood?

How is it holding up?

TIA!

BigDreams07
May. 24, 2010, 04:16 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/e7m8lx.jpg

I got this bridle for christmas as a schooling bridle and LOVEE it. Gave it one good soaking of oil and it was good to go! The leather oils up very supple and its held up great, (I havent cleaned it since I got it and have had no problems haha). Mine turned out to be a nice dark color. Here is a picture!

make x it x so
May. 24, 2010, 08:21 PM
I purchased one recently. It hasn't completely softened up yet, but I also have not oiled it very much because... well I'm just too lazy. :D

I think it's a very nice looking bridle, and it has definitely softened some despite my less-than adequate care. I plan on using it exclusively as a show bridle once I've broken it in, but right now it's doing both jobs.

My biggest peeve about it is the rather large stamping of the word "Plymouth" on the crownpiece. Not really noticeable to anyone but me while it's on, but I'd rather a more subtle indicator of brand.

I did get it laser engraved with my horse's name, which I'm very happy with because it's nice and subtle and IMO looks better than a brass or silver plate.

seabreeze
May. 24, 2010, 09:39 PM
I liked the first one so much, I bought another one!

I needed to buy a couple of new bridles, but, due to various circumstances, didn't want to spend mega-bucks.

I bought the black dressage bridle and was very happy with it, so I bought the hunter bridle as well (plain raised).

They are much nicer than I thought they would be, and they oil up nicely. I haven't had mine but a couple of months, but they seem to be holding up fine. Due to the quality of the craftsmanship, I predict they will wear well for many years.

One interesting thing that I noticed, though, is that the O/S hunter bridle has a larger browband than the O/S dressage bridle.

Happy shopping! :)

hunterhorse22
May. 25, 2010, 09:57 AM
I think the bridle is excellent quality for the price. My only complaint is that the reins are a bit inferior in quality in comparison to the bridle. They are a bit stiff, even after a few coats of oil. They are certainly usable, and for the price, I think it's an excellent buy.

Haf N Haf
May. 25, 2010, 12:02 PM
For those that bought this bridle, what product did you use to oil it? I've never actually bought a new bridle. I'd like to know what you used to get it that lovely havana color and make it so soft. My new girl needs a bridle, but I don't have a ton of cash right this second since she's going to need a saddle, too!