PDA

View Full Version : From Jumpers to Hunters

Artemis
May. 24, 2010, 03:58 PM
So a short background. I started riding at an Eventing barn, and mostly did jumpers. I've switched barns a few times, but still was mostly schooling for Jumpers. I went to a few shows, and by a few I mean like 2 to 3 over a 10 year span. Ive previously owned 2 horses, both very green. I only got the chance to train them up some, and I unfortunately had to sell them.

About 3 weeks ago, my trainer offered me a horse. He was a lesson horse for her, but he started misbehaving and was extremely strong over fences. He also had an old injury, but was sound to jump up to 3'. Even though he is only 12, he's a retired regular working hunter that apparently showed across the country. I thought about it, and figured hey why not. Hes a hunter, but he can teach me alot. I need something thats my own, and that I can ride everyday.

Well, I've been a jumper girl all my life, and I've probably ridden a hunter course like once.
I'm currently a working student, and this horse has taken the adventure with me so I do have a trainer, but I'd like other input.

Any tips from jumper riders turned hunter?
I want to eventually show him. What classes are available to adult riders to jump up to 3'?

make x it x so
May. 24, 2010, 08:26 PM
Adult Amateur Hunters jump 3', but if you're a working student (and therefore usually a Pro), you'll probably be stuck doing Special Hunters or whatever 3' and under unrated divisions are offered in your area.

Biggest tip for jumper->hunter transition: chill! hunter courses are all about smooth, flowing consistency- you always use all of your space and take your time around the course, rather than looking for speedier inside turns and angling jumps/turning in the air.

Artemis
May. 25, 2010, 09:06 AM
Wait, I'm alittle confused. So because I'm a working student I'm considered a Pro?

Artemis
May. 25, 2010, 10:45 PM
Bump?

klmck63
May. 25, 2010, 10:53 PM
Wait, I'm alittle confused. So because I'm a working student I'm considered a Pro?

Well, are you over 18 and receiving remuneration for riding horses? Money, free lessons, discounted board etc? Search "Ammy Status" or "Amateur Status" on here, the subject has been thoroughly exhausted!

In relation to switching... Chill out, go all the way into your corners, take your time, make it look leisurely. Enjoy yourself!

You won't get to walk the course, so look at the course map to see what the lines are set at and watch how they're are riding to help you make your plan.

Artemis
May. 25, 2010, 11:01 PM
Yes, I'm over 18. I'm working to keep my horse, for my own place to live and I'm also getting paid a weekly stipend. I get lessons on my own horse ad I exercise other horses.

Hmm I'll certainly search the boards for info on amateur status, thanks!

flyracing
May. 26, 2010, 03:51 PM
Yes, your a pro because you are riding horses for the person that is paying you. If you only did barn chores in exchange for your lessons/board, but only rode your own horse, then you can be an ammy. Its the riding/being paid combo that makes you a pro even if you only trail ride the horses. You can ride horses for people unrelated to those paying you as long as those people are not paying you.

meganp
May. 26, 2010, 04:03 PM
Yes, I'm over 18. I'm working to keep my horse, for my own place to live and I'm also getting paid a weekly stipend. I get lessons on my own horse ad I exercise other horses.

Hmm I'll certainly search the boards for info on amateur status, thanks!

You must pay board for your horse, not accept board as part of your employment. If board is part of your employment, you are not an amateur.

If you are being paid as a working student you cannot ride horses that are not owned/leased by you.

Check GR1306 in the rulebook, it outlines what you can/can't do pretty clearly.

Artemis
May. 26, 2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah I went and read the GR1306 earlier today.

When I was showing a few years ago, amateur status was nothing I had to worry about. One I was doing jumpers, and two I was still a junior.
Thanks to everyone for all the info, its interesting to find out that I'm technically considered a professional lol

I also went & searched the boards, lots of helpful info there.
Thanks again! :]