PDA

View Full Version : Never mind, :-)

SteppinEasy
May. 24, 2010, 01:32 PM
This is pure curiousity on my part. One of my college students invited me to her daughter's show when she heard I have horses. She asked me for independent, unbiased suggestions on how her daughter could improve. Now, I made it clear that while I took jumping lessons eons ago, I ride saddle seat and haven't jumped anything on purpose in decades.;) Of course, when it became clear that all Mama really wanted was for me to ooh and ahh over her daughter, I did so, as any polite guest would, lol, but just for my own education, would you let me know what you think?

Link removed, just in case...

From a completely uneducated perspective, I would have liked to see the girl be a little more secure in her seat in general before she started jumping, but hey, I don't have a clue what I'm talking about!:lol:

SillyHorse
May. 24, 2010, 01:39 PM
From a completely uneducated perspective, I would have liked to see the girl be a little more secure in her seat in general before she started jumping, but hey, I don't have a clue what I'm talking about!:lol:
I disagree. I would like to see her in a LOT more secure seat. Her leg is quite loose, and she tends either to stand in the stirrups or make too large a move over these little jumps. Very cute pony, though.

Phaxxton
May. 24, 2010, 01:46 PM
Just curious -- did her just wanting you to ooh and ahh over her daughter include her wanting you to post a video of her daughter on the internet to be critiqued? :confused:

Honestly just wondering if you have their permission to post the video and ask for a critique of this child.

loshad
May. 24, 2010, 01:46 PM
What a sweet pony.

I don't know that it's particularly good form to be posting someone else's minor child for critique, though.

SteppinEasy
May. 24, 2010, 01:48 PM
Well, yes, actually, I have permission from Mom to post it. Thanks for thinking of the child, though, :-).

dags
May. 24, 2010, 01:48 PM
Plenty stable to jump around low fences on a well-trained, smooth as butter school pony. When the gaits and jumps are that smooth it's hard to convince the young ones why they need to have a steady leg . . . it's soooo easy to just sit there and balance. One day she'll jump ahead and things won't go so well, and that will quickly demonstrate to her why we've harped security.

Probably a bigger issue here is the lack of a two-point - I'm guessing it's a struggle for her to get off her pony's back AND still keep him going. Since such an exercise would simultaneously strengthen her leg, and be more correct than this particular ride, and since it doesn't appear to have been taught, I'm guessing this is what you are going to get.

Now, what I really want to know, did you just link to that poor girl's youTube page without her awareness, and open her up to free-for-all COTH critique? ouch.

dags
May. 24, 2010, 01:50 PM
Well, yes, actually, I have permission from Mom to post it. Thanks for thinking of the child, though, :-).

Okay, just wanted to make sure :) but still, this could be painful (and for no particular reason, it just could be. It's COTH. Not known for it's diplomacy.)

SteppinEasy
May. 24, 2010, 01:52 PM
I'll take it down if you think I ought to; I just figured that since it's obviously a beginner, people would be diplomatic. I mostly just wanted to know if my instincts were correct. Thanks!

whbar158
May. 24, 2010, 01:57 PM
Yes there is plenty to work on, as the case with most kids jumping x-rails! I have seen lots of kids, and yes she could be more secure but looks confident and looks like she is having fun and does not look in danger of coming off this pony. That is how you learn, as long as she is doing more in lessons to become tighter and more secure. For what looks like a very small schooling show (that could be at home too) she looks just fine.

As far as posting the OP said that the mom said she could post it, and honestly if you have something posted for the public to see then you should be prepared for people to say things about it. There are settings that people can make that only some people can see it.