PDA

View Full Version : another helmet question

rwh
May. 24, 2010, 11:44 AM
Hi all,

I bought a new Charles Owen helmet last week and when I got it home I noticed the date of manufacture was 2005. I remembered reading on these forums that helmets should be replaced five years from the date of manufacture, but when I contacted CO they said that the products have no shelf life and that the recommended five year replacement starts at the time of purchase. So, just wondering where the information that helmets need to be replaced five years from the date of manufacture comes from. I haven't worn the helmet yet because of this issue---I want to make sure I'm keeping my head safe before I start wearing it.

TIA

Guin
May. 24, 2010, 11:53 AM
That's 5 years old. I would return it and insist on a new one. If it's been sitting in a hot warehouse for five years, it is NOT good. The foam will have degraded significantly. Really, go back to the store and make a fuss until they come up with a new one. The store should return it to CO!

Lucassb
May. 24, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hi all,

I bought a new Charles Owen helmet last week and when I got it home I noticed the date of manufacture was 2005. I remembered reading on these forums that helmets should be replaced five years from the date of manufacture, but when I contacted CO they said that the products have no shelf life and that the recommended five year replacement starts at the time of purchase. So, just wondering where the information that helmets need to be replaced five years from the date of manufacture comes from. I haven't worn the helmet yet because of this issue---I want to make sure I'm keeping my head safe before I start wearing it.

TIA

The primary protection in helmets comes from the styrofoam they contain. That material degrades over time which is why you hear recommendations about replacing after a fall OR after five years have passed. I personally would take the hat back to the place you purchased it and exchange it for one that has a more current date of manufacture.

LuvMyDressageQH
May. 24, 2010, 12:01 PM
This happened to me two weeks ago! I bought a CO Hampton at Dover and when I got home (several states away) I saw the manufacture date of 4/2006 :(

Dover has tried to tell me not to worry about it and that it is a brand new helmet, it won't wear out any faster than any other helmet, etc. I will be calling them this afternoon and sending it back!

Thanks for this thread!

rwh
May. 25, 2010, 12:31 AM
Ughh. Thanks all. That's what I thought. Just so frustrating because the helmet fit sooo perfectly and is apparently no longer made : ( Oh well, back to square one...

atouchofclass
May. 25, 2010, 10:57 AM
2005? wow that one has been sitting on a shelf for awhile...
Hard to understand how the foam only starts to break down after you buy it :)