PDA

View Full Version : Two questions! New bridle q and jean breeches...

T-storm chick
May. 24, 2010, 09:21 AM
Hey guys! Two questions that should both require short answers so I thought I'd squash them into one thread.
First of all--just bought a new bridle with a self-padded crown and figure-8 noseband. It is supposed to be English Sedgewick leather and seems nice. From reading other threads, I plan to clean the wax off with castile soap then oil with neatsfoot--but what do I do with the padding? It is already very soft and squooshy. Should I oil it or just condition with something like Passier Lederbalsam?
Second question--I have a lovely French saddle with wimpy pommel leather. Having read the entire riding in jeans thread, what's the consensus on jean breeches like the ones from Ariat, Pikeur or Goode Rider--is the denim soft enough to avoid excessive wear on the seat and pommel?
TIA guys!

LARGEBORE
May. 24, 2010, 09:30 AM
There is nothing that will bore a hole in the pommel faster than a pair of jeans. It is often not the softnesss of the fabric but seems and sometimes zippers. Pharmaka makes a product Bienenwachs that is specially made for fine leathers like calf skin knee pads, covered leather and calfskin or soft cowdhide padded parts on bridles.

redlight
May. 24, 2010, 01:07 PM
If you are going to use neatsfoot use it sparingly on the flesh side only. That's a pretty thick oil and if you use too much of it you will ruin the leather. Good British bridles do not need lots of oiling to get soft. I wouldn't oil the leather padding at all. If it's already soft it doesn't need anything.

French saddles are a dream but the leather is so soft jeans definitely will wear out the pommel.

Trixie
May. 24, 2010, 01:32 PM
That depends - some of the riding jeans are made with breeches type seams, not the higher "jeans" type seams. I have a pair of the ariat jeans and the fabric isn't really any rougher than that of a pair of twill breeches, but the lack of rough seams is what really keeps them from wearing out the leather.

mvp
May. 24, 2010, 03:49 PM
If leather is soft flexible and fine grained, be sparing with neatsfoot. You might not want to do the padding on your bridle at all.

Beinenwachs-- orange tub, smells like the honeyed beeswax that's in it-- is like a thicker but almost-neatsfoot kind of product. Use it sparingly on french calf, too.

And it is the seams stretched taut by thick and non-stretch fabric that becomes a sand papery blade on the pommel.