PDA

View Full Version : H/J Barns in Austin, TX

jaslyn1701
May. 24, 2010, 06:09 AM
One of my "barn kids" is moving to Austin with her family in July. She is 15, intermediate rider and looking for a trainer/lesson program in Austin. $ is an issue - family has four kids, but want to keep this one riding.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:)

HiddenAcres
May. 24, 2010, 09:26 AM
What part of Austin? There's several decent h/j options and then the whole gamut of QH, Arab, Dressage, etc... barns and boarding stables. Very horsey area. If she's showing, the McMorris's do well, Beverly Manroe, Dominie Schiff, etc. If far enough south, the San Antonio barns come into play as well - Charles McDaniel, Shane Brasher at Col. Russell's place.

Google Texas Hunter Jumper Association and also Central Texas hunter jumper Association. CenTex is the closest thing to a good C/B circuit in the state, and you can show seriously there and never leave town.

Austin is now a spread out place and it does no good to pick a barn that's a 2 hour commute when Mom is driving.

Tollriffic
May. 24, 2010, 10:23 AM
If the commutes not too bad then the McMorris's at Rio Vista are a good option. From what I remember they run a pretty big lesson program in addition to showing. Not sure if they run a lesson program but Switch Willow is also pretty good.

RioTex
May. 24, 2010, 10:31 AM
Switch Willo has a huge lesson program as well. They are on opposites side of town, so location will be a factor. There are quite a few to choose from.

Woodsperson
May. 24, 2010, 10:53 AM
Daniel Bedoya is in Manor TX just South of Austin

RioTex
May. 24, 2010, 12:50 PM
Manor is on the east side of town. No idea what kind of lesson program they have.

jaslyn1701
May. 24, 2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and responses. Unfortunately, I figured Austin was pretty big and I don't know exactly where they are going to live. Will try to find out and narrow the search. In the meantime, I will pass these on.

Thanks again!

LShipley
May. 24, 2010, 09:57 PM
White Fences in Manor is about a 30 minute drive from most areas in Austin. They offer dressage and h/j lessons - it is a little further out, but they are very flexible with lesson times. Plus, there is a covered ring, and outdoor ring and some nice trails.

The CenTex circuit is low-key, but active, friendly, and pretty nice. Some of the summer shows are C-rated. That would be a good place to go scope out new places: www.cthja.com