PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun. Do you and your horse "match?"

Mukluk
May. 24, 2010, 12:24 AM
Does your hair color "go with" your horses coat color?

Are your physiques similar?

How about your personalities?

Anything else? (like you both like beer or whatever).

OK let's hear it.

Me first. I have reddish blonde hair and my girl is a chestnut- she is much redder than me. We both have long legs and short backs. She is a character and so am I. I love beer but she does not care for it at all. We both LOVE food!!! And we both love the water. And we both love to go fast!

Fun Size
May. 24, 2010, 12:40 AM
Completely!!

Max and P (http://stetsonphotos.smugmug.com/Other/Camelot-March-27-2010/005/821081699_5Bso2-M.jpg)

We both are short and have a tendency to get "round" when we aren't in training. We are both totally happy going around at are own pokey pace, unless something (weather, events, mood) revs us up, then we are happy flying too!

Nothing bothers us much, unless you just insist on pushing our buttons repeatedly, and then we will give you one more chance...and then BAM we let you have it :)

As shown in this picture, we also like to stick our tongues out when we are thinking hard.

SarahandSam
May. 24, 2010, 06:44 AM
I have red hair and a sorrel pony. I'm 4'10" and he's 14.2. We're both pretty laid back most of the time, but we get cranky if kept inside, and can be stubborn. (:

DMK
May. 24, 2010, 08:22 AM
me, the corgi and the old horse all have a bad back, does that count? Oh yeah, and when the new footing was put in the ring and it got a bit deeper, the youngster said "me too!" and wanted to join the club. We all laughed at him.

RxCate
May. 24, 2010, 08:47 AM
Hmmm we are, sort of...

She's a blood bay, and I have dark auburn hair (though i'm trying to lighten it for summer!)

She's tall and leggy, and so am I, but she's a bit thinner than I (we're working on beefing her up though!)

When she's anxious or nervous she gets really hyper and does stupid "blonde" things and so do I.

We both LOVE to jump! The higher the better! :cool:

make x it x so
May. 24, 2010, 08:51 AM
Personality- yeah we're both pretty laid back and sometimes goofy but he tends to get stressed a little easier than I think I do

Looks- not at all! He's a lean, tallish (okay, well 16.1 SEEMS tall to me!), bay thoroughbred, and I'm a short (5'0).... dirty blonde/light brunette, with a much more compact build.

I think we complement each other pretty well- his slab sides make my leg look longer (or at least not at short as it really is, haha)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30721054&l=b33dd83bc9&id=1375350097 (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30721054&l=b33dd83bc9&id=1375350097)

pleasedaspunch
May. 24, 2010, 09:06 AM
I used to get this all the time at horse shows..."Did you buy him because he matches your hair color?"...http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2828169770064985027KOwuPt
We also had very similar personalities. He was kind of a loner, didn't like to be brushed (thin TB skin I guess). Tons of attitude. Did what he wanted when he wanted. And was very rarely affectionate lol

Mukluk
May. 24, 2010, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=pleasedaspunch;4883854]I used to get this all the time at horse shows..."Did you buy him because he matches your hair color?"...http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2828169770064985027KOwuPt
E]

Wow! He really does match your hair color! Pretty amazing! And you two look great together.

blackcat95
May. 24, 2010, 10:06 AM
Sort of... we're both tall and narrow. He's chestnut and I used to have reddish hair (but it was dyed).

Personality wise, we both are laid back and not very cuddly- even a bit standoffish when confronted with cuddly hugginess. We both take everything in stride and don't really care about what is going on around us.

amastrike
May. 24, 2010, 10:08 AM
None of my horses physically look like me, but my mare and I have the same personality. It's why we mostly get along and sometimes want to kill each other :lol:. We're both hot, high-strung, sensitive, and stubborn. You do not TELL us what to do, and if you try to force us... well, things ain't gonna go so well for you.

witherbee
May. 24, 2010, 10:30 AM
We are kind of opposites. My guy is very laid back, and I am a nervous person - one of the main reasons i got him, as I had been winding up the TBS I rode by being a nervous nellie. My guy is solid as a rock, although he has enough spirit to be fun and even intimidating at times if he IS feeling high. We are both tall (me, 5'9" and him 17.2h). He is gray (white) and I am a redhead, He is Irish and I like to think I am (Heinz 57 here, but married last name is Ryan, so it counts lol ). He tends to be obese if not worked, and I stay thin, so we are not alike that way.

JumpWithPanache
May. 24, 2010, 10:36 AM
Physically... nope not a match at all. I'm blonde, she's blood bay. Closest you'll get to physical "mathcing" is that I'm 5'6 with long legs and she's 15.3 with pretty long legs.

Personalities... some things are a match, but not a lot. She's a drama queen, I'm not so much unless buttons gets pushed one too many times. We do match in that we like kidlets, she's a total babysitter with small people on her back and I love to look after little ones. Put someone adult size on her though and she expects you to know what you're doing, likewise I expect adults to act like adults, not overgrown spoiled brats. Critter loves to do fun things, like canter and jump, not so much the boring things like walking. Ditto for me, skip the boring stuff and let's have fun!

dogchushu
May. 24, 2010, 10:41 AM
Hrm...

Horse: grey
Me: getting moreso by the day!

Horse: grumpy when in season
Me: oh, heck yes!

Horse: hard to keep weight on
Me: uhm, not even close

Horse: sweet and tolerant (when not in season)
Me: bwahahaha!

So we're 50/50!

myvanya
May. 24, 2010, 11:09 AM
Personality and build-wise my horse and I match really well.

We both are very type-A, perfectionist, easily stressed, nervous (as in not confident), and yet not spooky types.

We are similarly built too...short backed leggy types but with good bone :lol:

Color-wise we don't match at all. He is brown. I am blonde....

We do seem to like to get similar health issues.....I would prefer we didn't match in those respects! Thankfully he doesn't have my RA though.

SmartAlex
May. 24, 2010, 11:41 AM
Ever since I began riding my Grey Horse, I've been noticing these short grey hairs developing right at my part.... :cool: Now I'm chestnut going grey. :sadsmile:

Vixenish
May. 24, 2010, 11:42 AM
We both make horrible employees! We have the same work ethic -- we're both lazy and stubborn with short attention spans, and like to do anything we can to get out of doing our job. For him, that means drifting right then over-correcting by diving left, jumping crooked, sucking back, etc... for me, that means messing around on COTH rather than doing my actual job. BUT, when someone finally makes us buckle down and do our job, we both do it really well. :)

RugBug
May. 24, 2010, 11:57 AM
Physically: Nope. Both my boys are tall and leggy. Both are slab-sided and tend to be lean. I am medium height and round. No one would ever describe me as lean. Show is dark bay, Elf is a bright chestnut. I'm blonde with light eyes and mid-tone skin.

Temperament: Show is super-friendly, loves everybody but is flightly undersaddle. Elf is a bit grumpy but never mean about it. Sometimes it feels like he tolerates your presence. I resemble him more than Show. :winkgrin: Undersaddle, Elf's pretty even keel as far as the spooking but he gets upset when things aren't going his way. I might resemble that a bit too. :lol:

mvp
May. 24, 2010, 12:08 PM
Check it out:

http://s800.photobucket.com/albums/yy284/BaldwinEffect/?action=view&current=Lobster2007Syracuse.jpg&newest=1

Wideload. Check.

Smart, smart. Check.

Very happy when together. Check.

Kind, affectionate but also passionate about what we do. Check.

Brave and stoic though not in ways that are immediately obvious. Check.

But here's the difference that makes it work. While my gelding is ambitious about making his life easy, I'm all about Getting Somewhere, Making Something of Us. He kindly obliges me and more than any other influence in my life, reminds me that the ends do not justify the means.

I bred this one and did my best to create a horse I'd want. But he added things that I couldn't have made. He's really the best gift I could have asked for.

TheJenners
May. 24, 2010, 12:33 PM
Yes in ways, no in ways.

I'm a medium/dark blonde with hazel eyes, she's a weird-colored strawberry roan pinto with brown eyes.

Her nose burns easily, mine does too; she has white (birdcatcher) spots and darker roan-y patch on her flank, I have a spot on my right thigh that has no pigment and a red birthmark on my knee. We have tiny feet (she's a trip-0 and I wear a 5.5) and we're short (14.1 and change and I'm 5'3''). We both startle easily but not afraid of gunfire at all.

We both have QH butts ;).

We both used to compete a lot and in good company, but not so much anymore. We both need lessons!!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg280/ReplacementUsername/pink.jpg

netg
May. 24, 2010, 12:39 PM
Dark brown hair some people think is black? Yep.

Turn brown in the sun? Yep. (Though it's his coat and my skin.)

Proportionally exceptionally long legs? Yep.

He's tall (16.3) and I'm.... not.

He's thin and I'm... not.

He's hyper and I'm... not.

Smart? Yep.

Hard working? Yep.

Mellow even when hyper? Pretty much, yep.

Sometimes too perfectionist and get stressed? Yep.

Harder on ourselves than each other? Yep. (He's hilarious when he does things like trips... talk about pinned ears and swishing tail! Reprimand as a correction? He just fixes whatever's wrong.)

Love other horses? Yep. Unfortunately so, in his case!

Each other's favorite? Yep. Basically, where we don't match we compliment, and are about as perfect a pair as I could have hoped while I was searching for him.

imapepper
May. 24, 2010, 01:12 PM
We have very similar personalities. I don't think we look alike like some of the others but I am definately getting grey streaks :eek:

This is my favorite picture of us together.
http://www.pbase.com/jmasin/image/89325304

We are both worriers. We are both very sensitive. Neither of us like to work at stuff that is hard for us (dressage) but both of us are overacheivers at stuff (jump and gallop) we do like to do. We are both easily startled. We are both pretty reserved and take awhile to build trust. We both LOVE good food :winkgrin: We both tend to stress out easily but appear in control to the outside world. People always think I am very laid back until they get to know me and realize that I stress and obsess about everything. She is very deceptive to watch work. She looks very easy but when she decides we are not moving at the pace she prefers, it takes very subtle negotiation to not have an issue. So all everyone sees is her cantering or trotting around soft and light :lol: What they don't realize is that we were originally working on leg yield at the walk :rolleyes: It happens everytime :) I try to work on stuff that we are not as good at (lateral work and transistions) and everyone sees beautiful serpentines, circles and upward transitions....and 15 minutes later there might be a downward if I don't argue about the upward :lol:

Physically? She is small (15.1) and I am ummm not (5'8"). She is very typically TB and is petite and refined. Ummm I am not :lol: She does tend to get a little round when not in work and so do I.

I like to think we are a good pair. She is my best friend :)

CanterPirouette
May. 24, 2010, 02:54 PM
:DI'm brunette and my gelding is what I classify as "brown". He hasn't decided what color he wants to be yet, and I'm always changing my hair color so I suppose we're the same in the respect.
We're both extremely lazy when put to work, but do our jobs anyways. He's almost as clumsy as I am. We're both ticklish. We both love junkfood and soda. We're both lean with muscle and our hip bones are promient. We like playing in water and love having people play with our hair. We both fall asleep whenever the chance presents itself. He doesn't spook but he startles sometimes, as do I.
And of course, neither of us like taking our vitamins :D

BeastieSlave
May. 24, 2010, 03:18 PM
I hadn't ever really thought about it before....

He's very tall - I'm very average
He's big boned - I'm not small (his butt is supposed to make mine look small!)
He's bay - I'm brown
He's a happy guy - I'm a happy gal
He's smart - I'm smart
He's clumsy - I'm not especially graceful
He's got a good sense of humor - I have a good sense of humor
He loves me - I love him
We're perfect for each other :D

HRF Second Chance
May. 24, 2010, 04:44 PM
He's a red head, I'm a red head. He's tall and big bodied, I"m tall and big bodied. Big jointed, yep for both. Big ugly head, yep for both of us. He's smart as a whip, I pretend to be.....

He'll do accomodate anyone, but once you win him over, he'll do anything for you. Same with mom. He'll worked through back pain (and got a month off for it) without complaint. Mom just did the same....but did complain! So now he's over being backsore and now Mom is.....

He's totally the yin to my yang under saddle though. He's calm and confident with the "Don't worry Mom. I've got this. Even if you don't." whil I am trying to be that way. He's the tall quiet type in that respect. He knows his job and loves doing it!

Big_Grey_hunter
May. 24, 2010, 05:29 PM
I wish I was like my horse! He's charismic, athletic, gorgeous and well put together. Plus his hair is to die for!

I'm....... none of those things

spmoonie
May. 24, 2010, 05:53 PM
My pony and I have a lot in common:

We both have long legs with "good bone" (Not super skinny, but not super chunky either)

We are both very independent.

We enjoy alone time but love our friends.

We both have nice hair ;)

We are both fairly athletic/agile

We both have freckles (hes got some app in him)

We both LOVE to jump

We both are on the short side (Im 5'5" and he is 14.2)

We are both pale (hes a paint)

We both love to eat!

We are the same age (well, one year apart)

We both walk really fast

Sometimes, we can seem kind of unfriendly on first impressions, but both of us are quite the opposite

We are both "right handed" or "right sided"

goeslikestink
May. 24, 2010, 06:02 PM
Does your hair color "go with" your horses coat color?
no

Are your physiques similar?
no

How about your personalities?
yes

Anything else? (like you both like beer or whatever).
no

OK let's hear it.

Me first. I have reddish blonde hair and my girl is a chestnut- she is much redder than me. We both have long legs and short backs. She is a character and so am I. I love beer but she does not care for it at all. We both LOVE food!!! And we both love the water. And we both love to go fast!

i am blonde my horse is black
she is a welsh d shes 14-1hh so sort of both of us are small or short if you like
yep we both self asssued and both alpha of our yard and she like beer i dont
shes loves all her grub and iam a picky eater we both like to work and enjoy the work we undertake

artienallie
May. 24, 2010, 06:14 PM
We're both red-heads (and almost match completely) with the standard red-head personalities and need to express our opinions. We're both on the shorter & wider side of the scale, and we both prefer the "GO" to the "WHOA".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/berkanna/AndiAllieFPP.jpg

Oh, we both like coffee with cream too. :lol:

mojo7777
May. 24, 2010, 06:24 PM
We don't really look much alike, but I laugh all the time about how alike we are hacking out in the fields and trails around the farm. We're both very looky, not spooky, looky. Look at those beautiful wild roses! Hey, they moved those horses to the other field! That's where we saw a deer the other day! We both love hacking out...:)

Mukluk
May. 24, 2010, 11:02 PM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg280/ReplacementUsername/pink.jpg[/QUOTE]

What a cute picture!!!

Sacred_Petra
May. 24, 2010, 11:55 PM
Not at all...

My horse: Tall, TB type (though he does have large bone structure), blood bay, hard keeper, easy going personality, LOVES to jump, and really athletic.

Me: Short, draft/cob type, blonde (though I dye my hair, sometimes to match), easy keeper, not so much with the easy going personality, I love jumping but I'm a very nervous jumper, and nobody has ever mistaken me for athletic.

We'll see in a few months if I'm my filly is anything like me, but I hope not. My trainers used to comment that my problem horse and I deserved each other.

Simbalism
May. 25, 2010, 12:20 AM
Hair color: nope I'm blond with more gray creeping in every day, mare is chestnut.
Personality: yes, we are both pretty laid back, but can occasionally be cranky.
Body Types: definitely not. I am overweight, my mare is short and fine built.
Here is a picture on a b&b trip a couple of years ago(we're on the right)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3054/2965810727_4b33865c83.jpg
Here we are our first attempt at foxhunting on a rainy October morning
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2602/4114054305_3bb1c77992.jpg

prbygenny
May. 25, 2010, 12:31 AM
Me big chested, older, big barrel, big butt, short (5' 3"), very affectionate, love treats, swaybacked, terrible conformation for jumping, dressage, and eventing.
My 18 yr old TB, big chested, older, huge barrel (56in girth), big butt, short (15.1 on a good day), swaybacked (actually high butt and huge withers) Built down hill, terrible conformation but we still do well in jumping, dressage, and eventing cuz he gives all his heart to me. He gives kisses all the time, and loves treats.
We are the perfect match in my eyes!

billiebob
May. 25, 2010, 12:39 AM
The only physical similarity between me and my horse are our long legs. My horse is a 16.2 TB, hard keeper, dark bay, much cuter than I am, and he has a little butt. I'm tall, an easy keeper, light brown hair, not nearly as cute as my horse, and I have a big ol' booty.

Personalities? The Robert is the anxious type that needs a little guidance, but he's getting braver. Quite the momma's boy. Seems to attract ladies but has little interest in them beyond friendship. A total weenie when it comes to pain. I'm the independent type, only seems to attract hobos and creepers, and way too stubborn to admit I'm hurting. I'm not really brave so much as I'm stubborn.

We both like carrots and having our heads scratched. We're both smart and good with puzzles (he's figured out how to turn himself out when he's done with his meals).

doublesstable
May. 25, 2010, 01:15 AM
Why do all the horses I have owned worry and work too hard?

Hmmm...... Type A personalities... Yes.

Embarrassing story:
I once told a guy when I was in high school that wanted to date me - - when he asked what I was doing after school, I told him I was going to ride my horse... he wanted to come by (being the shy, first boyfriend etc. etc..) I told him he could come down to the barn... as I described my horse with blue eyes and a white rump... and said he looked like me... then realized I just said my horse had a white rump... (boy was I embarrassed)

Over 20 years later, I STILL remember that feeling of OMG... I can't believe I just said that.

LeeB10
May. 25, 2010, 01:00 PM
This is an interesting question because we always kid about my daughter and her mare being so alike. When the mare came to us for trial she was 6 and wildly green. My daughter had a choice between that mare and several other horses and I just knew - even though the trainer tried to convince my daughter otherwise - that she would pick that horse. My daughter and her mare are complete adrenaline junkies and that horse will do absolutely anything my daughter asks - they are both smart, athletic, same color hair, and same know-it-all personalities.

this sums both of them up perfectly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLUVr7lc2S0

love the way they walk out so casually like it was no big deal.

onelanerode
May. 25, 2010, 01:25 PM
We're both chunky with big butts and dark brown hair. We're both smartasses, but I think she's a much bigger bitch than I am. ;)

KristieBee
May. 25, 2010, 01:44 PM
leeb10 - that video was a treat. they look like *perfect* partners!

personality wise, my horse and i have much in common, but i'd say my horse is even more like my husband than he is like me. lol does that sound weird? when i introduced horse to future husband and saw them together, i couldn't help thinking they were similar.

both of them are imported from europe (horse = germany, husband = england - and both better than anything I found on my search in LA :lol: ) - they're both tall and handsome with great conformation, confident, optimistic, big appetite for life, great senses of humor, and very masculine, but under it all, super sweet and generous... with soft spots just for me. ;)

and they both absolutely live for treats and yummy food. lol!

i lucked out TWICE! trust me, when i see those two gorgeous guys together, i definitely count my blessings.

Janet
May. 25, 2010, 01:49 PM
When I was a kid-
I had "strawberry blonde" hair
Rode a palomino horse
Had a dog who was said to be a cross between a yellow Lab and a coon hound- basically yellow/gold color.

All three of us "matched.

But I don't match any of my current horses, or dogs.

RugBug
May. 25, 2010, 03:02 PM
We're both red-heads (and almost match completely) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/berkanna/AndiAllieFPP.jpg

WOW...your hair does match perfectly. :lol:

Mukluk
May. 25, 2010, 03:37 PM
We're both red-heads (and almost match completely) with the standard red-head personalities and need to express our opinions. We're both on the shorter & wider side of the scale, and we both prefer the "GO" to the "WHOA".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/berkanna/AndiAllieFPP.jpg

Oh, we both like coffee with cream too. :lol:

I LOVE your horse- what a beauty. And you two look so good together. My horse is close to that shade.- but your hair matches your horse much better than mine does!

Jive
May. 25, 2010, 10:49 PM
We both have dark brown hair
We are both tall (him 16.3 1/2, me 5'8")
He's built like a tank, I'm big boned and muscular
We are both laid back, but a tad spooky and can have an attitude at times.
We are both very klutzy
My initials are MEH his initials are MOH (totally didn't even realize they were almost the same until a year after I gave him his show name).

Across Sicily
May. 26, 2010, 02:11 AM
My horse is a grey and I have dark hair... no match there. Physically we're nothing alike either - he's a bit of a hard keeper and I'm more of an air fern. :D Personality wise, though, we're something alike. We're both hard workers when asked, and both give out a lot of effort during lessons or a tough hacking. Both of us get frustrated with one another sometimes. Both of us are perfectly happy to be lazy sometimes. Neither of us likes too hard of a massage (for him, that would be currying, Mr Thin Skinned) and we both like treats! HAH. Both of us are a bit grouchy and not trusting of people right away. Both of us like attention :) Both of us like County saddles (grin) and both of us hate instruction or people that are too harsh and will go to great lengths to either correct our behavior or get away from the offender.

Love my boy. We're more alike than I would have imagined. Our similarities made me dislike him initially - but once we got to know each other, everything's become pretty darn gravy. So nice to be able to enjoy riding again, and walk away beaming about a great ride with a great horse.

*JumpIt*
May. 26, 2010, 07:10 AM
We are both petite.

We both have ugly feet and uncooperative hair.

We both tend to always be covered in dirt.

We tend to feel more conceited about ourselves than we deserve.

We both have ridiculously fast metabolisms and rarely run out of energy, constantly in motion.

We are both picky about our food.

We obsess/fret about the little things and often forget about the bigger picture.

We get easily confused, overwhelmed, and anxious.

You have to earn our trust but once you have it we will bend over backwards to please you in anyway possible.

Marsie is alpha in the pasture when she feels has to be but if a competent leader steps up she is happy to take a step down. I like to think I'm the same way, I can step up to a leadership position but I prefer to not be in charge.

I think we are a lot alike, and that is why we get along so well. However I do think most of our problems come from both us being perfectionist and not being happy unless things are just right.

I ♥ Miss Mare!

VarsityHero4
May. 26, 2010, 08:42 AM
Of course photobucket is down right now but 4 of my 6 current horses are the same chestnut as my red hair, I have a great picture of me with an old horse of mine and my hair blends completely into his neck, I always seem to end up with chestnuts even though I don't really care what color they are. The majority of my horses have a very stubborn streak but know when it's time to get down to business, much like me. I also tend to end up with stocky horses that are on the smaller, short-backed side and I would say I fit that description very well. Funny how many people end up with horses that reflect themselves...

Jaideux
May. 26, 2010, 11:11 AM
Horse #1: We both have long, thick manes. He's a TB, but his mane is double thick and his tail is so long it drags about 3" on the ground. Truth.

Horse #2: We both have a few random, distinct curls in our manes. Half my hair is curly, half of it is straight, so I always have a flat yet beachy look. It's lovely at the start of the day... hideous by then end, haha. This horse is also a TB, but in his forlock he has a few corkscrew curls that never go away. I love them dearly, but they do confuse me... I didn't know horses, and more specifically, TBs, could have corkscrew curls.

(If anyone has insight into this, I'd love to hear it. Maybe one day I'll start a thread about it... I always mean to and forget.)

oldenburger with fries and a cold beer
May. 26, 2010, 12:48 PM
I love the answers!!!

My mare and I share the same birthday and very similar personalities. We both have long backs and smallish feet but otherwise she would be considered a big boned girl and I am more of an athletic type. We are steadfast and true but cross us in any way and we don't forget...for life.

artienallie
May. 28, 2010, 01:21 PM
WOW...your hair does match perfectly. :lol:

I LOVE your horse- what a beauty. And you two look so good together. My horse is close to that shade.- but your hair matches your horse much better than mine does!

It wasn't even planned! Before her, I wasn't very fond of chestnuts. Occasionally, I still wonder what I was thinking...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/berkanna/7618_1210805583920_1042146676_30664.jpg

LizzieAnn
May. 28, 2010, 09:23 PM
Yes-!
He's: a round (chubby) ConnameraTBCross, who gets very worried about those stupid flying lead changes (in his brain) and loves treats. Loves to jump, go really slow, and ALWAYS drift to the left.

I'm: brunette, gets worried about him worrying about those pesky lead changes (RELAX HORSE!), I drift left when I walk too, loves having those really good lessons when I can decently jump 3', and go nice and slow.