PDA

View Full Version : Tractors - - UGGG

doublesstable
May. 23, 2010, 09:24 PM
Okay.... New issue.... Well, really an old issue just never had the issue slap me in the face...

Went to the three day horse show this weekend - It was fun and expensive... One of my horses I have owned since he was a week old... now 11. He had some health issues but is now going strong. I don't think there are holes in the training, even with the time out with health things....

But HE HATES TRACTORS! Always has. I have tried to work with him but I think it's the noise. SOOOOOO

At the show Sat went well, execpt he blew up near the end of the arena where they happend to be using a fork lift to move portable stall panels.. we got it together and he jumped very well. (2nd and 4th place) Not bad for his first away show.

Then came the following day - I entered two flat classes to warm him up in the arena - and he was a ball of nerves - why you ask - OF COURSE "TWO" tractors and the water truck going right next to us in the opposite arenas.... it was fun..

I was surprised we got a 4th in Equitation... even if he was a firecracker that was lit and I was just holding the explosion back.. Very tiring ride. (I dont' like flat)...

We jumped and he did REALLY well. YAY... Tractors were gone.

So you get the picture... HOW in the world do I help this poor fellow....

Interesting ending - a lady that works w/ reading horses - asked me if he ever trained dressage.. I said YES... she said it made him really nervous.. and that's is SO TRUE. Then she asked if I had an older tractor where I ride... I said YES.. She said he hates it. No real reason, he just doesn't like tractors expecially that one...

And it's TRUE too! Any time that tractor gets near him he "FREAKS"..... I have tried and tried to let him see it, touch it, even when it's not running..

Other than that - he is FINE... UGGG again.

Oh yeah - we got the strides as I discussed in my earlier post.... but there were no ones at the end of the lines!!! :)

Fun Size
May. 23, 2010, 10:05 PM
There was a pony at my last barn that had the same problem. The trainer literally chased tractors around the show grounds for hours, until the pony finally got over it. Trainer also got in a lot of trouble, but it worked.

I wonder if something like getting horses used to trailers would work with that? Like park the tractor in the middle of the arena and work around it for a few days. Even put some carrots in the seat and let him eat them off the seat?

There used to be a "scary" hedge for Max at my barn. The first time I got him close enough to take a bite out of it, he munched on it a bit and it has never been a problem since :D Maybe something to do with "if I can eat IT, it won't eat ME!" :lol:

doublesstable
May. 23, 2010, 10:11 PM
There was a pony at my last barn that had the same problem. The trainer literally chased tractors around the show grounds for hours, until the pony finally got over it. Trainer also got in a lot of trouble, but it worked.

I wonder if something like getting horses used to trailers would work with that? Like park the tractor in the middle of the arena and work around it for a few days. Even put some carrots in the seat and let him eat them off the seat?

There used to be a "scary" hedge for Max at my barn. The first time I got him close enough to take a bite out of it, he munched on it a bit and it has never been a problem since :D Maybe something to do with "if I can eat IT, it won't eat ME!" :lol:

Thanks for the ideas.....

I am going to have to make arrangements with a tractor owner because not only could my horse do REALLY well at the shows, moreso - - I feel really bad that it bothers him so much.... He is such a sweet guy;

Oh yeah, I was just in your city. We went to the Gold Coast show.... did you go? It was a very nice show. Very well ran and LOTS OF WATER TRUCKS..... Which I was pleased about but my horse wasn't...:lol:

Bearhunter
May. 23, 2010, 10:21 PM
This is a huge issue with the LAEC. The tractors! Especially down by the Allen arenas. I have seen them picking up and moving stuff in one ring when a kids pony class is in. Very unnerving. :no:

I have no advice to offer except that other shows in the area (and further south) are not as bad. I am glad you enjoyed the show nevertheless. Gold Coast is not one of my favorites but then again, I am not a huge fan of the center.

doublesstable
May. 23, 2010, 10:28 PM
This is a huge issue with the LAEC. The tractors! Especially down by the Allen arenas. I have seen them picking up and moving stuff in one ring when a kids pony class is in. Very unnerving. :no:

I have no advice to offer except that other shows in the area (and further south) are not as bad. I am glad you enjoyed the show nevertheless. Gold Coast is not one of my favorites but then again, I am not a huge fan of the center.

Im so glad you posted..... I have never shown there and was a bit surprised at the blatant disregard for the fact horses can be horses. And good ole Murphys Law... durning my class OF COURSE!

I have shown at Santa Barbara, Ventura and never experienced this type of thing.

There were MANY other riders going down the quarter line due to the tractors and water truck... Go figure.

I guess when you throw down over 1000 dollars at a show your horse should be able to deal with EVERYTHING... :lol:

But I did see A LOT of kids and ponies in the other rings and was thinking that it seemed odd.. but (shrug)

Calvincrowe
May. 23, 2010, 10:34 PM
Not tractors, but cows for my boy. This is an issue at a couple of venues I schooling show at. Cows stand along the arena fence at one place, merrily spectating. Sends my boy ballistic. Our barn now has cows along side his pasture and he's better, but the mooing still gets him going.

Have you tried ear puffs? Might deaden the sound just enough. I can't understand some of these venues and their clueless disregard for the spookiness of some activities. Porta-potties DO NOT belong ringside. Ring crew should not "pop out" of the woods along the ring (what were you doing in there!!?) Dogs belong on leashes, and if it's in the rules, enforce it.

BeeHoney
May. 23, 2010, 10:35 PM
In the winter we use a tractor to take hay out to all the fields, and right after we hay, we give the grain...all the horses love the tractor. Is there some way you can acclimate your horse at home? Can you get a recording of tractor noises, even if you don't own a tractor, and play it before you feed him his supper?

Fun Size
May. 23, 2010, 10:55 PM
Yep, that is the good ol' LAEC! I'm sure I was there watching, but I'm not showing the Gold Coast series in favor of the Camelot series up in Newhall. 1/2 the price, better footing, and better run (not to mention cool prizes at the end of the series :D)

I will be at all of the rest of the Camelot shows for the rest of the season, and at the Santa Barbara National show in October.

I wonder if you could just rent a small Bobcat? We've done that for yard work before, and often they will pick up and deliver it for you too. AND they are fun to play with :yes:

doublesstable
May. 24, 2010, 12:06 PM
Not tractors, but cows for my boy. This is an issue at a couple of venues I schooling show at. Cows stand along the arena fence at one place, merrily spectating. Sends my boy ballistic. Our barn now has cows along side his pasture and he's better, but the mooing still gets him going.

Have you tried ear puffs? Might deaden the sound just enough. I can't understand some of these venues and their clueless disregard for the spookiness of some activities. Porta-potties DO NOT belong ringside. Ring crew should not "pop out" of the woods along the ring (what were you doing in there!!?) Dogs belong on leashes, and if it's in the rules, enforce it.

One of my old horses was afraid of minature horses.... so I guess you never know what they find scary.

I have tried ear puffs. I couldn't find the other one so I didn't take them to the show..

You should have seen the look on my horses face when the guys were setting up the portable stalls for the Memorial Day classic - - draging the roof tarp across the stalls and then water blasting them.... He held it together pretty well.. but a MAJOR scary thing in my book.

doublesstable
May. 24, 2010, 12:07 PM
In the winter we use a tractor to take hay out to all the fields, and right after we hay, we give the grain...all the horses love the tractor. Is there some way you can acclimate your horse at home? Can you get a recording of tractor noises, even if you don't own a tractor, and play it before you feed him his supper?

Maybe I can buy a noisy kids tractor and feed in it.. or some sort of remote control car... he doesn't like those either.

I'm going to have to figure out something...

doublesstable
May. 24, 2010, 12:09 PM
Yep, that is the good ol' LAEC! I'm sure I was there watching, but I'm not showing the Gold Coast series in favor of the Camelot series up in Newhall. 1/2 the price, better footing, and better run (not to mention cool prizes at the end of the series :D)

I will be at all of the rest of the Camelot shows for the rest of the season, and at the Santa Barbara National show in October.

I wonder if you could just rent a small Bobcat? We've done that for yard work before, and often they will pick up and deliver it for you too. AND they are fun to play with :yes:

Maybe I can talk my trainer into Camelot next year. That's one issue is my trainer goes to the Gold Coast. Shes going again in June.

We have had bobcats on our hill doing work and over a few days, he did well. I thought he was over it.. but I guess not.