PDA

View Full Version : Another bitting question

Brooke
May. 23, 2010, 03:58 PM
Well, maybe not bitting exactly... I have a 6 yr. old OTTB that I've had since she was 2. I don't get to ride every day, and during the winter, little at all, so she's nowhere near as broke as one would expect. My problem is she will gap her mouth at times and at others, cock her nose to the right. The head thing is much better that it was, but when she gets a bit fresh, it comes back. She also has an old scar on the corner of her mouth on the right. So..I'd like to figure out how I can fix these things. I tried a figure eight - way too much; she curled behind the bit. I tried a flash - same thing. I've tried a regular snaffle (too much) a french link, a french link with a bean (she will lean on that one), a Dr. Bristol, a Waterford (too much), loose ring, full cheek - you name it. I haven't tried a straight bar in her mouth yet (I realize as I type.) So, any suggestions?

Thomas_1
May. 23, 2010, 04:38 PM
Have a look at this thread. There's some stuff on it about mouthing and bitting ex race horses.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223453

NE_Rider
May. 23, 2010, 04:50 PM
Have a look at this thread. There's some stuff on it about mouthing and bitting ex race horses.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223453

Thomas, all I have to say is WOW! Good, old fashioned common sense horse training....well done!!!!

I am officially a fan :cool:.

whbar158
May. 23, 2010, 05:00 PM
When is she doing it? When you apply pressure? For no reason? I would concentrate on finding something that works for you and your horse. Everyone has their go to bits because it is what works for them, but another person can ride the same horse and not like the connection with that bit and another would work better.

Have her teeth been checked?

Brooke
May. 24, 2010, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the responses.
First, she does it when going to the left. And she does it more if she gets a little tense. She doesn't bend as well to the left.

Thomas - nice post on bitting. Ages ago I used one of the bits with the keys. Haven't seen one in probably 40 years - maybe more! The curb chain is a good idea. I might try that as she is dry mouthed and I've never been able to get her to mouth the bit much.

Thanks again.

jetsmom
May. 24, 2010, 02:24 AM
A happy Mouth Mullen Mouth is my Go to bit when I have issues. Most horses I've tried them on like them.

With that said, I've gotten the head cocking thing when I don't keep steady contact on the outside rein.

I'd also check teeth, if you haven't lately.

Brooke
May. 24, 2010, 11:28 PM
Jetsmom - I will get her teeth checked.

I try to be very aware of my contact, and I THINK I'm keeping a nice feel on the outside (I do have 'educated' handds), but I'm doing something. Maybe it's the way I'm sitting, my weight, hips - something. I should get a video and post it and see if anyone can see what I'm doing.

I tried her in a little Tom Thumb pelham that I dredged out of a trunk,and she liked it ok. She took a little contact and bent nicely while I was hacking (hate the word "flatting" - I'm SO old fashioned. :) ) but went back to being crooked when I jumped her a little. Maybe I need to stop worrying about it so much.... Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.