PDA

View Full Version : Got pricked with vaccination needle

workinggirl
May. 23, 2010, 11:57 AM
I was stuck yesterday with a needle containing either West Nile or Potomac Fever vaccination. My finger is now streaked up to the first knuckle. Do I need to go to the urgent care center? thanks for the reply

JanM
May. 23, 2010, 12:27 PM
I was stuck yesterday with a needle containing either West Nile or Potomac Fever vaccination. My finger is now streaked up to the first knuckle. Do I need to go to the urgent care center? thanks for the reply

What are you waiting for?:no: If your finger falls off you'll have a hard time holding the reins. :( Get in the car and go to the emergency room now!!! It's probably just a reaction to the serum but why take chances? Better to check it out now than wait until the problem becomes bigger. I don't mean to be harsh, but don't take any chances with your health.

dmalbone
May. 23, 2010, 12:56 PM
I'd go just to be safe, especially with the streaking.

Bogie
May. 23, 2010, 01:21 PM
Yes. Immediately.

Streaking is not good.

kookicat
May. 23, 2010, 02:09 PM
Get thee to a doctor! :)

Hope you're okay. :)

Arab/WBGirl
May. 23, 2010, 02:55 PM
Go to ER NOW!! and be sure to take the package the vaccine came in with you. Let us know how you are.

dmalbone
May. 23, 2010, 03:29 PM
I hope she's already there. The streaking really worries me. :(

Kitters
May. 23, 2010, 03:31 PM
Are you at the doctor now? Please update when you can!

pintopiaffe
May. 23, 2010, 06:14 PM
I've had all sorts of vax sticks over the years with no reaction. I'm all set for Lepto. :uhoh:

BUT, the streaking is the worry.

Please let us know when you are home from Urgent Care.

MsM
May. 23, 2010, 07:58 PM
Update?

alteringwego
May. 23, 2010, 10:06 PM
yikes!

Meredith Clark
May. 23, 2010, 10:17 PM
wow! I've got myself twice and freaked out both times.

I got myself with a rabies vaccine and I convinced my self I was rabid until a friend told me you can't get rabies from the vaccine.. duh

hope for a good update!

jump4me
May. 23, 2010, 11:08 PM
I've had all sorts of vax sticks over the years with no reaction. I'm all set for Lepto. :uhoh:

I'm still quite healthy as well... :D :uhoh:
I only had a bit of swelling/localized redness, but streaking doesn't sound good. Hope everythings ok...

headsupheelsdown
May. 23, 2010, 11:12 PM
Scary... please go to a doctor. Hope all turns out well.

smilton
May. 24, 2010, 08:13 AM
I've worked in research for 10 yrs. I'm now immunized against all sorts of things. I treat it just like with any other puncture wound. If you get streaking it is usually a sign of bacterial infection not necessarily caused by something in the vaccine.

dani0303
May. 24, 2010, 09:30 AM
I'm sure it's nothing but I would still go get it checked out. Much better safe than sorry :yes:

Grataan
May. 24, 2010, 10:11 AM

Yep. I'm all set for BVD and PHF lol.

Imahorselover
May. 24, 2010, 07:02 PM
Well it was me ...a NURSE who actually got stuck by either a WNV or Potomac Horse fever needle. I do know better and perhaps I should have taken it more serious. ALL IS WELL. My finger only swelled very slighly but it did get streaked from the joint down to the knuckle w/ the joint and knuckle slightly stiff. I had vaccinated the boys several days before and was just getting around to straightening up and went to take the needles off and ..ooppps. Continued to clean and then stack hay...usual farm duties. Happened Sat afternoon and today Mon I called my DR. and of course he was like go to the ER... so off I go...no blood work ...nothing...got a Tetanus shot. The key is that the vaccines are made with killed virus..that makes all the difference. Thanks for all the concern....jeeze...what was I thinking...how would I be able to hold the reins! My friend loves to ask the COTH bloggers opinion on everything.
Andrea

deltawave
May. 24, 2010, 08:34 PM
We get inoculated with far worse things when we scratch ourselves on crud around the barn. Clean it, watch it, don't panic. :) You're not going to "catch" anything from a horse vaccine.

SLW
May. 24, 2010, 10:30 PM
A couple years back I was pulling up a dose of Banamine for the doc. I had unsheathed the needle (mistake) and then reached to get the bottle. I switched hands with the syringe, from right to left hand, then ***gulped*** as I stood there with the 3" needle going in the palm of my left hand and the tip of the needle appearing between my middle finger and ring finger on the upper side. :eek: No pain but my eyes told my brain "We have an error, abort the mission, error." :dead::dead: I pulled out the needle, walked in the office and said "pssst Doc, I think I'm going to faint." :uhoh: His first words were "was there anything in the syringe?"...."Nope", whew.

I don't know why I unsheathed that darn needle before having the product bottle out....but you only make that mistake once. ;) :sleepy:

mysaygrace
May. 25, 2010, 10:59 AM
Glad to hear OP is okay!!!! And I hear you SLW, WOW I can't imagine implaing my whole hand, I most definitely would've passed out!! I impaled my one finger with a syringe while deworming our goats. And when I say impale I mean yes the needle was in one side & totally sticking out the other side. Amazingly it didn't hurt but made me feel quite light headed & dizzy when I noticed what I had done. My husband & his friend (our burly farrier) both turned white as ghosts when they saw it. So I went to urgent care to get my tetanus and all everyone wanted to know is was it post goat or pre goat when the syringe entered my finger. I was a little surprised that it mattered. Luckily I missed the bone and nail bed and it hardly bled. But the @#$% Tetanus shot didn't hurt while getting it but days later I couldn't lift my arm above my head, it felt like someone clocked me in the upper arm as hard as they could. I now get a bit nervous when giving injections because I don't want to impale myself again. Although after seeing how painless it was I don't feel as bad when I have to give my animals injections!

springer
May. 25, 2010, 11:25 AM
YIKES! Needle phobic, here. :eek: I gladly pay the extra $ to have my vet do anything that involves needles!

Jumpin_Horses
May. 25, 2010, 11:35 AM
yep, Im vaccinated against Rhino.. :cool:

went out to the pasture to vaccinate my old man, he is a dreamboat about shots. when I unsheathed the syringe, I dropped it straight into my foot.... oh, I was wearing flip-flops....... live and learn...... :yes:

AnotherRound
May. 25, 2010, 01:25 PM
Well, guess the OP will pass her Coggins.

Pancakes
May. 25, 2010, 02:10 PM
Well, guess the OP will pass her Coggins.

Probably, as people don't get equine infectious anemia....

BTW, which is something you can't vaccinate against.

Hunter Mom
May. 25, 2010, 09:52 PM
But the @#$% Tetanus shot didn't hurt while getting it but days later I couldn't lift my arm above my head, it felt like someone clocked me in the upper arm as hard as they could.

Last time I had a tetanus, I had a terrible reaction. I don't get them any more. Be sure to talk to your doctor about the reaction you had.

JoZ
May. 26, 2010, 12:50 AM
Last time I had a tetanus, I had a terrible reaction. I don't get them any more. Be sure to talk to your doctor about the reaction you had.

I know this is off the track of this thread but... REALLY? I don't know the details of your reaction, obviously, but I would take Benadryl and anti-inflammatories (and stay within a quick drive of urgent care) before I'd face horse and farm life without my tetanus vaccine! I can't imagine how bad a reaction I'd have to have before skipping tetanus seemed like a wise choice.

Bluey
May. 26, 2010, 07:24 AM
I have received a tetanus vaccine all my now long life, every ten years or so and never had any reaction at all to it.

If you have a reaction of any kind, talk it over with your Dr before taking chances of going without on your own.

People used to die regularly from tetanus, although we are not as susceptible as horses, one of the most susceptible species.

Claddagh
May. 26, 2010, 07:31 AM
I know this is off the track of this thread but... REALLY? I don't know the details of your reaction, obviously, but I would take Benadryl and anti-inflammatories (and stay within a quick drive of urgent care) before I'd face horse and farm life without my tetanus vaccine! I can't imagine how bad a reaction I'd have to have before skipping tetanus seemed like a wise choice.

My husband also had a bad reaction to a tetanus shot. This was a long time ago and he too did not get anymore tetanus shots for many years. (Stupid, I know). But then a doctor told him that the *old* shots were different than how they are prepared today. So he got a tetanus shot and had no reaction at all. Yay - now we know he won't be *done in* by tetanus at least! :lol:

Seriously, anyone who has had a reaction in the past should speak to their doctor. I know for myself, my arm used to get very sore from a tetanus shot. The last two times I got one, no soreness at all so whatever changes they made in those shots seems to be all good. Talk to your doctor - this is one shot that we all need since we are in the horsey environment.

2ndyrgal
May. 27, 2010, 09:38 PM
Sometimes it's not the shot, but where it's given and who is giving it. If you get a "good" nurse, it will go into a more, um, fatty part of the arm. If you have great, buff arms, and tense up when you get the shot, yep, that muscle is going to kill you for 3 or 4 days. Not necessarily a reaction to the vaccine, just the injection process. Kind of like injecting a horse on the fatty butt cheek rather than in the muscle.

deltawave
May. 27, 2010, 09:59 PM
A sore arm is generally not a "reaction" to anything other than being jabbed by a sharp needle. :)

stoicfish
May. 27, 2010, 10:08 PM

I refused all shots as a kid, including tetanus. I live in the country, work outside and tend to be accident prone and I have managed. People do/did acquire natural immunity, especially when they are continuously exposed. It is a personal choice especially when it is not contagious.
However I have had most livestock vaccinations as well as wormers and recently I had a bit of Ulcergard. I would not recommend the Ulcergard, it tastes quite bad. And the price nearly cause me a ulcer.

starrunner
May. 27, 2010, 11:06 PM
If it makes you feel better, I have been jabbed with a needle filled with phenobarb meant to euthanize a little Doxie. Dog moved suddenly, vet was new and she slipped and somehow got me. Good thing she didn't depress the plunger. :)

pony89
May. 28, 2010, 03:07 AM
If it makes you feel better, I have been jabbed with a needle filled with phenobarb meant to euthanize a little Doxie. Dog moved suddenly, vet was new and she slipped and somehow got me. Good thing she didn't depress the plunger. :)

I bet that was not a happy moment for you or the vet!

starrunner
May. 28, 2010, 07:01 AM
I bet that was not a happy moment for you or the vet!

Not particularly a good moment for either of us. :yes:

But she was certainly much more careful after that which I think everyone appreciated. :)

Bluey
May. 28, 2010, 08:03 AM
I refused all shots as a kid, including tetanus. I live in the country, work outside and tend to be accident prone and I have managed. People do/did acquire natural immunity, especially when they are continuously exposed. It is a personal choice especially when it is not contagious.
However I have had most livestock vaccinations as well as wormers and recently I had a bit of Ulcergard. I would not recommend the Ulcergard, it tastes quite bad. And the price nearly cause me a ulcer.

Hope your luck keep holding.:eek:

My 7 year old cousin stepped on something, got tetanus and almost died.
He spent long time in the hospital.

I would not mess with tetanus, not in horses or people, when it is so very preventable.:no:

Melissa.Van Doren
May. 28, 2010, 06:28 PM
Vaccinated myself against rabies a few weeks ago. No ill effects except for the headache from slapping myself in the forehead, LOL.

A few years ago, I watched a tiny drop of dormosedan roll down my finger and into a hangnail. Spent the next 20 minutes waiting to come back to earth. :winkgrin: Know a vet who ended up on a respirator after accidentally sticking himself with a cc. :eek:

Be careful out there, people!

Bluey
May. 28, 2010, 06:55 PM
One of our cattle antibiotics, Micotil, works fine on cattle, but if you even get pricked with the needle, that little drop on the end will give you an inches large black and blue bruise and can stop your heart right then.:eek:

Everyone is very careful around cattle and any of their medicines.:yes:

MassageLady
May. 28, 2010, 07:04 PM
You're fine, as long as you don't start to crave hay and carrots.

Sarabeth
May. 28, 2010, 07:15 PM
However I have had most livestock vaccinations as well as wormers and recently I had a bit of Ulcergard. I would not recommend the Ulcergard, it tastes quite bad. And the price nearly cause me a ulcer.Not sure. My horse is ulcer prone and gets Ulcerguard frequently. It's gotten to the point where when he sees me coming, he hangs his head over his gate and just patiently stands there while I give him Ulcerguard, no halter, no fuss. Both my horses will also eat it mixed into any feed without complaining, and they can be pretty picky otherwise. I think it might be one of those things that tastes horrible to us, but the horse doesn't mind.
Agree with you about the price, though! :lol:

SLW
May. 28, 2010, 11:42 PM
One of our cattle antibiotics, Micotil, works fine on cattle, but if you even get pricked with the needle, that little drop on the end will give you an inches large black and blue bruise and can stop your heart right then.:eek:

Everyone is very careful around cattle and any of their medicines.:yes:

The veterinarians I worked for would not stock Micotil for the cattle producers. With no room for error the risk to human life was too high IHO. Doc told a horrible story about a producer who injected himself when the cow moved. The man called his wife to tell her what he had done and say his good-bye. :cry: He left behind his wife and two young children.