PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION ABOUT SCHOOLING SHOWS!!!!!

findlymine
May. 22, 2010, 11:27 PM
I have gone to A rated shows all over the country and i have never been asked for a coggins!!!! When i go to a local schooling show I can't enter the grounds without showing a coggins why is that??

Tha Ridge
May. 22, 2010, 11:37 PM
I've always had to show Coggins in the office of rated shows....

Gry2Yng
May. 22, 2010, 11:42 PM
Probably because local shows tend to be at the organizer's farm instead of a large show facility and they are following the law as well as protecting their on-site horses.

paintmare
May. 22, 2010, 11:43 PM
You should have a coggins when traveling with a horse ANYWHERE, not just a show. I've never been to a show and not been asked for a coggins.

Long Spot
May. 23, 2010, 12:52 AM
Probably because local shows tend to be at the organizer's farm instead of a large show facility and they are following the law as well as protecting their on-site horses.

Ditto this. And also a tip o' the cap to paintmare as well. I don't take a horse off the property (unless it's to the vet) without the coggins for that horse on my person.

crazyhorses
May. 23, 2010, 01:36 AM
Huh. I've NEVER been asked for Coggins proof except when we moved from another state down to AZ... interesting. When I was signing up for a show in Idaho, I asked them about it and they just brushed it off. Weird.

superpony123
May. 23, 2010, 02:04 AM
interesting thing, i've probably been to roughly 45-50 horse shows in my riding life (only been riding for like 8 yrs, 50 seems like a ton to me but i understand that for some people that isn't exactly much..) and i've been asked for coggins once. having said that, i always carry it no matter what because i expect im going to be asked, and i never am. which is odd, but oh well. i go to both schooling and rated shows of every level, and i dont remember what show the one or two times ive been asked were.. i'd rather that they ask, though. it would certainly make me feel better about having my horse on the grounds.

and you SHOULD carry the coggins with you at all times. local shows are generally held at the host's own barn, not a horse show facility or fairground. so the owners are trying to protect their own horses as well as everyone elses by asking for coggins. it would be mighty unfortunate if one person brought their infected horse in and several other horses, god forbid the entire barn, contracts it and all these horses get put down.

carrying a coggins shouldnt be an inconvenience. it's about the safety of the horses.

Across Sicily
May. 23, 2010, 02:46 AM
Every single A-rated show I've been to has requested a copy of Coggins with entry forms. Prior to releasing numbers they insist upon seeing your Coggins, and if applicable interstate health papers, if you did not send them with entries. On the other hand I have never been asked for them at schooling shows! Go figure.

yellowbritches
May. 23, 2010, 08:59 AM
Seriously? What the hell? You can't enter an event without a copy of the coggins, and if you don't send it in, most events with big entries will move you to the waitlist until you produce the coggins, or at the very, very least will bug you until you get them a copy. Weird.

Highflyer
May. 23, 2010, 09:30 AM
I would have thought FL would be STRICTER than average? We have to have them for everything around here.

Monarch
May. 23, 2010, 09:57 AM
As others have pointed out it is the law. Not a horse show but we were stopped in Wyoming once (we were hauling my TB from TX) Policeman wanted to see papers health & coggins and actually had us unload him and take his blanket off of him so he could match his coggins to the horse in front of him even checked the tattoo # from coggins to horse. This was also right on the side of the highway.
The only time it has ever happened to me.
Horse showing schooling or rated have always asked for coggins at least that is my experience.

saje
May. 23, 2010, 10:02 AM
You don't get into KHP without a current coggins AND a health certificate.

99% of the shows I've been to, both schooling and rated, require a current coggins.

SkipChange
May. 23, 2010, 10:21 AM

99% of the shows I've been to, both schooling and rated, require a current coggins.

No kidding, I remember going there for PC Nationals and all the trailers were lined up, parked. Every trailer driver had to present the coggins and health certificates for all the horses on their trailer. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure the official opened the windows and checked that the horses matched up to the coggins/health certificate description.

Every show I've ever gone to has requested a coggins sent in WITH the entry form. Before the horse is even there.

Are you usually the one that fills out all the entries? Maybe you're trainer usually mails in the coggins with entries and you just don't know about it.

Horseymama
May. 23, 2010, 10:35 AM
I've been showing up and down the West coast for for 15+ years, Thermal, Del Mar, Arizona, Sacramento, Oregon, Washington at A rated (and recognized dressage) and I've never been asked to show my coggins at the horse show office. Ever. The only time I've had to do that is at Spruce Meadows.

gottagrey
May. 23, 2010, 12:28 PM
All I can say is either you have to produce another type of document which proves negative Coggins.. or you have been luckly w/ slacker show organizers. I've been both rated and unrated shows and events and have always had to include a coggins if mailing entries or produce upon arrival at show.. OR the other thing is maybe a trainer or someone is doing entries for you and provides coggins...Some shows around here will maintain a file of coggins for those competitors who regularly support a show series.. So if I go to the first rated show at ABC stables show series... they will keep my Coggins on file as long as it is valid.

If the OP and some other posters have never had to produce a Coggins (either by mail or in person) then I would like to know which show facilities they are so I will never go there

pooh
May. 23, 2010, 12:43 PM
Every show that I've gone to in PA, MD and Va have always required a Coggins. Some even require proof of Flu/Rhino.

BeastieSlave
May. 23, 2010, 12:57 PM
It's always amazed me that even though the rules always say "proof of coggins required" no one ever asks!

saje
May. 23, 2010, 01:04 PM
My question is, does this topic really require THIS KIND OF A TITLE???!!!???!!

Valid question? Yes.

Life and death importance? Not really.

:|

Go Fish
May. 23, 2010, 03:50 PM
I've been showing up and down the West coast for for 15+ years, Thermal, Del Mar, Arizona, Sacramento, Oregon, Washington at A rated (and recognized dressage) and I've never been asked to show my coggins at the horse show office. Ever. The only time I've had to do that is at Spruce Meadows.

Same here.

MHM
May. 23, 2010, 04:26 PM
Policeman wanted to see papers health & coggins and actually had us unload him and take his blanket off of him so he could match his coggins to the horse in front of him even checked the tattoo # from coggins to horse. This was also right on the side of the highway.

Wow! This sounds really, really dangerous to me. :eek:

What if your horse got loose and caused an accident? Or got hit by a truck? Or wouldn't load back on the trailer?

I would have been getting in touch with the policeman's supervisor in a heartbeat.

BeastieSlave
May. 23, 2010, 04:57 PM
Oh, I've been pulled over (in GA) and asked to show my horse's coggins before. Most cops around here don't know that horses are required to have a coggins to hit the road in GA. Luckily, I travel with coggins! Other than that time, and when I've gone to or from Florida, I have only been asked to show my coggins at local shows.

enjoytheride
May. 23, 2010, 05:01 PM
Half my shows require coggins, the other half do not. It's mostly pointless anyway, it only says that at the exact moment the blood was taken your horse was not affected. You have an entire year for him to get munched on and become a carrier.

Gry2Yng
May. 23, 2010, 05:02 PM
All I can say is either you have to produce another type of document which proves negative Coggins.. or you have been luckly w/ slacker show organizers. I've been both rated and unrated shows and events and have always had to include a coggins if mailing entries or produce upon arrival at show.. OR the other thing is maybe a trainer or someone is doing entries for you and provides coggins...Some shows around here will maintain a file of coggins for those competitors who regularly support a show series.. So if I go to the first rated show at ABC stables show series... they will keep my Coggins on file as long as it is valid.

If the OP and some other posters have never had to produce a Coggins (either by mail or in person) then I would like to know which show facilities they are so I will never go there

Western states, where ranchers predominate are a bit different. The lobbyists in those states have been successful at keeping livestock regulation to a minimum. You have a different set of facts out there than we do in the east and midwest. Coggins law varies significantly from state to state as well. As PP have mentioned, KY and FL will kick your @$$ if you don't have the right documents.

MHM
May. 23, 2010, 05:03 PM
Oh, I've been pulled over (in GA) and asked to show my horse's coggins before.

Yes, but the cop making somebody unload the horse on the side of the road? That's a REALLY bad idea. Too many possibilities.

BeastieSlave
May. 23, 2010, 05:19 PM
Agreed. It was totally a bad idea to make the horse unload on the side of the road!

Calvincrowe
May. 23, 2010, 09:25 PM
Shown for 20 years out here in the PNW and never have shown or been asked for a Coggins, except when traveling into Canada. Oregon and Washington have a reciprocal agreement on cross border horse transport, however, and you don't strictly need a health certificate/coggins/etc. to go back and forth along the contiguous counties IIRC.

Well....there was that one show at the old Hood River Show grounds where all the WA barns were hit with "where are your health documents", but I think that was like a once a decade crack down...;)

Monarch
May. 24, 2010, 09:53 AM
MHM & BeastieSlave I agree unloading at the side of the road was not the brightest idea. We were in WY and the hwy was not a busy one and horse was and still is an pro. This was not my idea it was the Officers I remember asking him if he wanted me to pull the blanket off in the trailer and he could look the horse over while in the trailer. We were hauling him in a stock trailer so there was room. The officer said no that he wanted to see the horse out of the trailer.
M

JumpWithPanache
May. 24, 2010, 10:57 AM
I just keep copies of my Coggins with me and the first show of the season at any farm I hand the secretary the copy along with my filled out entry blank. Force of habit now. I also keep one copy in the truck glove box and an extra one in the trailer dressing room.

Vandy
May. 24, 2010, 11:09 AM
Western states, where ranchers predominate are a bit different. The lobbyists in those states have been successful at keeping livestock regulation to a minimum. You have a different set of facts out there than we do in the east and midwest. Interesting, as it has been my personal experience that things are *stricter* in the western states due both to Vesicular Stomatitis and the fact that there is a lot of slaughter transport in this area. I showed up and down the east coast for years and never had to produce a coggins. Never even had "health papers" or "brand inspection" papers until I moved to the southwest (mind you, it's been years since I've shown back east, so may be different now).

Actually, I have never been asked to produce a coggins or health certificate for rated shows in NM, CO, or AZ. But I have for schooling shows and the one rated show affiliated with our state fair. However, we are quite careful about hauling horses here across our county lines without brand inspection papers, as technically in my state, horses can be IMPOUNDED by a brand inspector if these papers are not produced. Although I've never heard of it actually happening, the possibility is sure a compelling reason to have them! As far as health papers, the rules in my area are dependent upon whether there has been a VS outbreak recently.

Seal Harbor
May. 24, 2010, 11:26 AM
In the PNW we also don't have the bug issues that are predominant in other parts of the country, unless you are in the deep woods or right next to the manure pile. Yes it is wet here but when it is wet it is also cold. Most of the time the vector can't complete the life cycle of whatever it is carrying. Rarely heartworm in dogs - only ones imported from endemic areas have tested positive, haven't heard of any positive EIA horses, West Nile in birds a couple of times.

We can travel between OR and WA without Coggins, or health papers, only have that done for travel to Canada, and since we take some up there every year they get done right before they go. Haven't gone to CA since I've lived here so I don't know anything about the requirements for that. However we can't take hay to CA from WA, even if it is for your horse's use at a show, at least the time my trainer did, it was removed from his possession.

I don't know anything about the brand inspection stuff, even though it is a requirement here I don't have any paperwork for it.

When I lived in Michigan it was part of the spring routine.

findlymine
May. 24, 2010, 10:24 PM
If i travel out of state I get a health certificate!!!!! I just have never been ASKED to produce a coggins @ a rated show.

Horseymama
May. 24, 2010, 11:57 PM
Yes, when we travel to California from the PNW, we have to have a coggins/health certificate to cross the state line into California. But I've shown at HITS Thermal, HITS Arizona, Showpark, Del Mar, as well as Pebble Beach, etc. and never been asked for a copy of my coggins at the horse show office.

faraway46
May. 25, 2010, 12:09 AM
...and show them at EVERY show, be it local, A rated or schooling. It's for the horses' safety. If your horse never leaves your barn you have to test them every six months. I think it's great...better safe than sorry.

Gry2Yng
May. 25, 2010, 09:45 AM
Interesting, as it has been my personal experience that things are *stricter* in the western states due both to Vesicular Stomatitis and the fact that there is a lot of slaughter transport in this area. I showed up and down the east coast for years and never had to produce a coggins. Never even had "health papers" or "brand inspection" papers until I moved to the southwest (mind you, it's been years since I've shown back east, so may be different now).

Actually, I have never been asked to produce a coggins or health certificate for rated shows in NM, CO, or AZ. But I have for schooling shows and the one rated show affiliated with our state fair. However, we are quite careful about hauling horses here across our county lines without brand inspection papers, as technically in my state, horses can be IMPOUNDED by a brand inspector if these papers are not produced. Although I've never heard of it actually happening, the possibility is sure a compelling reason to have them! As far as health papers, the rules in my area are dependent upon whether there has been a VS outbreak recently.

Interesting. Could be my experience is isolated, and I could have been given incorrect information.

tidy rabbit
May. 25, 2010, 10:23 AM

Depends on the day you arrive. I have many times pulled in there on a Thursday afternoon or a Friday morning and not seen anyone at the trailer. But I've come in on a Monday or a Tuesday and yes, there's a line to show your papers and have your horse verified it matches the coggins.

I have been to local and state levels shows in the past couple months and oddly, where everyone used to ask for coggins papers on the horses, the office people look surprised when I ask if they need to see it. Awkward moments.

luvs2ridewbs
May. 25, 2010, 11:28 AM
Very rarely have I been asked to show a coggins for a USEF rated show. (MA, RI, VT, NY, CT)

Skeezix
May. 25, 2010, 12:57 PM
We are always asked for a coggins. For local shows, you have to produce it on entry, and for rated shows, it is mailed in with the entry.

YankeeTurnedHillbilly
May. 25, 2010, 02:07 PM
I host a schooling show series at my farm, where I board horses also. It amazes me how many people get annoyed when my secretary asks to see their coggins upon arrival - especially since it is written both on my entry forms and prizelist that a negative coggins is required and will be checked. It also amazes me how many people simply don't even have it with them!

RugBug
May. 25, 2010, 02:25 PM
I don't show a ton, but I've never had to produce a Coggins. In fact, I didn't even know about them until a few years ago. I think because CA is such large state we are pretty used to not needing a Coggins because state lines aren't crossed on a regular basis.

tidy rabbit
May. 25, 2010, 02:33 PM
Growing up in CA I never once had to produce a coggins at a Rated or unRated show, ever. It's just not requested by show management. No one I knew had a coggins pulled on their horses unless they were going out of state, then and only then did we have blood drawn, not like here where it's done once a year for all the horses, regardless of their traveling status.

ponycrazy111
May. 25, 2010, 02:38 PM
Coggins can b asked for at any show it might just have been that that particular show asked for it always haveit just in case

Sing Mia Song
May. 25, 2010, 03:25 PM
Vandy and I grew up in the same area (New England) and I recall never being asked for a Coggins at a rated show, but was asked for it at smaller 4-H/pony club type shows.

Here in MD, every show I've gone to has required a Coggins before you can pick up your number.

As for doing a health cert before crossing state lines...my trainer is in PA and I'm in MD. If I got a health cert every time I crossed the Mason Dixon line, I'd be broke from the vet calls! I realize they are good for 30 days, but all the vet ever does is take the temp. What good does that do?

KC and the Sunshine Band
May. 25, 2010, 03:30 PM
Really, they look at your horse for a health certificate? All the places I've ever dealt with, you just call the office and they fill out the form, vet signs it and mails it to you. No one looks at the horse. It's merely a formality.

Janet
May. 25, 2010, 03:34 PM
I don't show a ton, but I've never had to produce a Coggins. In fact, I didn't even know about them until a few years ago. I think because CA is such large state we are pretty used to not needing a Coggins because state lines aren't crossed on a regular basis.

What are the CA rules on Coggins?

It would never occur to me that the need for a Coggins had anything to do with "crossing state lines".

Around here, the "strict" states say you have to have a Coggins before the horse can leave the property/ be trailered.

The less strict states say you have to have a Coggins before participating in any activity involving more than n horses (where "n" is a number in the "5 to 10" range), Definitely every horse show.

When I was running clinics, I got a letter from the VA Dept of Agriculture, with a form that required me to record the date and Accession number of the Coggins for everyhorse that attended the clinic.

Many of the shows ask for a copy of your Coggins the first time you show. Then they make a copy and keep it on file until it expires

dani0303
May. 25, 2010, 03:37 PM
The majority of shows I've been to say they're required on the prize list but I don't get asked to produce them (both A, C, and local shows). But I always carry one with me no matter what. I have a copy of the whole barn's in the truck so no matter who is in the trailer, I've got my copy.

I was under the impression it's illegal to travel in state without a coggins and across state lines without a health cert. Can anyone verify this?

Janet
May. 25, 2010, 03:43 PM
I was under the impression it's illegal to travel in state without a coggins and across state lines without a health cert. Can anyone verify this?
Depends on the specific state(s).