PDA

View Full Version : Bit help for sensitive horse

Revolution
May. 22, 2010, 11:08 PM
My four year old keeps getting a rub on the outside of his mouth. I originally had him in a 5" full cheek snaffle, and it rubbed the outside of his mouth. Changed to a 5.5" egg butt snaffle, and it still rubbed. Put a thick black rubber 5.5" loose ring snaffle, and the rubber was too thick for his mouth and fit weird so I didn't ride in it. Then I tried a 5.5" sweet iron loose ring snaffle, and it also rubbed him. He had 2 weeks off, his mouth healed and I went back to riding in the loose ring, and it still rubbed him. I have tried all of the bits with and without bit gaurds, and put vaseline on before and after riding him. Also tried lowering the bit from 2 wrinkles to 1, still rubbed so I put it back up to 2 wrinkles. I was thinking about buying him a happy mouth but read that people find that it rubs more than the metal bits. So I am pretty much stumped and have no idea what other bit I can possibly try with him. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

jewll27
May. 22, 2010, 11:37 PM
its rubbing him in the crease of his mouth? Have you tried putting your cheek pieces down a hole?

*Liz*
May. 22, 2010, 11:46 PM
How bad are the rubs? Are they raw, or are they more like dry-cracking/flaking skin? If the latter, I don't think any bit will make a difference, but smearing a little vaseline around your horse's mouth before a ride may just do the trick.

Revolution
May. 23, 2010, 12:27 AM
Tried putting the cheek pieces down a hole and it didn't help at all, and it is in the creases. Forgot to mention that it is only on the left side. It is a raw rub about the size of your pinky nail. Not pouring blood, but a good chunk taken out.

kashmere
May. 23, 2010, 02:12 AM
I've had the best luck avoiding rubs by avoiding loose ring bits. They can really pinch, especially if the horse has an active mouth.

symmetrygal
May. 23, 2010, 02:22 AM
Just out of curiosity, when you look at him from the front, and the sides is he even/ symmetrical? I'm wondering if it's mouth, or are you perhaps holding a little more on one rein then the other, just a thought... looks like you've tried about everything... have you tried just a Dee ring- rubber/ metal? Worst case scenario; hackamore... i'm really curious to see what other riders say?!

jetsmom
May. 23, 2010, 02:37 AM
Are you sure you are putting the bit on in the correct direction? They do have a front/facing edge and a back.

Maybe try a happy mouth, or wrap a bit's corners with Sealtex.

Revolution
May. 23, 2010, 11:56 AM
Just out of curiosity, when you look at him from the front, and the sides is he even/ symmetrical? I'm wondering if it's mouth, or are you perhaps holding a little more on one rein then the other, just a thought... looks like you've tried about everything... have you tried just a Dee ring- rubber/ metal? Worst case scenario; hackamore... i'm really curious to see what other riders say?!

We were thinking that it was the shape of his mouth, but compared him to a couple horses in the cross ties and they looked the same. Didn't compare it to the other side, so I will try doing that today. The vet did his teeth a few weeks ago, so I would have assumed he might have noticed something. But I didn't know at the time which bit was rubbing him. I though it was left over from the first bit, and just kept opening up until I realized that it was all of the bits. Will also go back to an eggbutt and try wrapping the corners.

I am not really pulling on the reins much, just need to open the rein and keep him from cutting his corners. Although if I was using one rein more than the other is would be the right since he tries to cut his corners going left. I am trying to avoid the use of a hackamore for as long as possible (atleast until he grows up) because steering a baby is hard enough, let alone with no bit :lol:

I think I will ask the cowboy that broke him which western snaffle he used on him.

Revolution
May. 23, 2010, 08:41 PM
OK, tried a happy mouth snaffle, and finally did not rub him. So contrary to the popular belief of the internet, happy mouths don't usually rub a horse more. Thanks for all the suggestions.

goeslikestink
May. 24, 2010, 07:11 PM
read this link and read all links quoted it will help you heaps
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256817

read last page on the topic of how to measure your birdle to the horse as sounds like it might be the bit is to high in his mouth but it could also be you
as in rider error
for exsample if you supporting your bodyweight into the reins and head area then the mouth suffers serverly