PDA

View Full Version : Fieldstone Hunter Derby

giddybiddy
May. 22, 2010, 08:29 PM
How was it?? A friend of mine rode in it and I was just wondering how it went and if anyone had results? Sounded like it was going to be good!

MHM
May. 22, 2010, 08:41 PM
Do they still have that grass field with the natural jumps? Did they use that for the derby?

goodmorning
May. 22, 2010, 09:34 PM
David Olynek won it (aka PV & friends). Not sure on who...there were a couple very nice rounds. Yes, it was held on the Grand Prix field with natural jumps, inclines, ect.

Silk
May. 23, 2010, 07:37 PM
Regardless of his affiliations, David is one of the better riding pros in the area. Anyone know which other pros rode in it? Was it a true 4-ft derby or a 3'3"-3'6"?

PlantersPunch
May. 24, 2010, 09:31 AM
Regardless of his affiliations, David is one of the better riding pros in the area. Anyone know which other pros rode in it? Was it a true 4-ft derby or a 3'3"-3'6"?

It was a 3'3" derby with 3'6" options for bonus points. Greg Prince and his assistant both rode in it along with Mitch Steege (I think), Kristin Bumpus had a few, Tricia Moss, Frank Perla, and there were more, but I forget now (42ish total in the class!)

My little mare and I did it and had a blast, she's just starting her first year green year and had never done anything like it and she was a superstar.

M. Owen
May. 24, 2010, 11:30 AM
I saw a few rounds of the 3'3"/ 3'6" derby on Friday and most of the 3'/ 3'3" derby on Sunday. I thought they were both really fun to watch and looked like even more fun to participate in. I unfortunately didn't get to see the results ceremony for either one. I would LOVE to have a horse that could do those derbies some day (more likely the 3'/ 3'3" version).

It was beautiful to watch and all of the riders and horses appeared to be having a blast! It was nice to see the more forward pace and jumping in a more natural looking environment. On Sunday (I saw more rounds that day), a lot of people were challenged by the more cross country type jumps and options. It will be interesting to see if people start getting out to school their hunters over things like that more as a result of these derbies. I hope more and more shows find the space to incorporate this type of thing and handy hunter rounds become more popular again. I think the derbies will have a positive impact on hunters overall.

anthem35
May. 24, 2010, 01:43 PM
Anyone know if there were photos taken of the derby? If so, by who?
My horse was in this class with another rider, but I didnt' get a chance to see it!
:(

Fieldstone Equestrian
May. 24, 2010, 05:58 PM
Hi Everyone,
The Show was excellent and the derbies added to the fun and excitement of the whole week. Photos were taken by Anne Gittins @ www.annegittins.com.
Results and some new photos are now posted on our website at www.ShowFieldstone.com. Some quick top 3's for you of the highlight classes:

$10,000 CWD 3'3" Open Hunter Derby:
1. Generous - David Oliynyk(r) - Lori Gaudet(o)
2. EQ - Kristen Bumpus - Gareth Benshoff
3. Key Largo - Rebecca Clawson (r/o)

$25,000 Fieldstone Grand Prix
1. Leap of Joy - Charlie Jacobs - Deeridge Farm
2. Quidditch II - Chariie Jacobs - Deeridge Farm
3. Tequila - DJ Volandre - Gina Volandre

$5,000 USHJA 3' National Hunter Derby
1. Huckleberry Finn - Sara Tyndall - Susan Huyett
2. Valentine - Patricia Moss - Kim Sievrin
3. Major - Zoe Mcgee

$2,500 Pony Hunter Derby
1. Mokoo Jumbee - Ali Tritschler - Donald Stewart
2. Oakwood's Beyond Glory - Hannah Khan
2. Clovermeade Bunny Side Up - Ali Tritschler - Rabbit Hill Farm

$5,000 C/A Jumper Classic
1. Grisset - Alissa Kinney
2. 911 - Ula Green
3. Calmiro - Olivia Magliochetti

Silk
May. 24, 2010, 08:37 PM
Anyone know if there were photos taken of the derby? If so, by who?
My horse was in this class with another rider, but I didnt' get a chance to see it!
:(

How is he with that type of thing? Seems from what I have heard about him, he is a pretty versatile guy!! You have a gem there. Do you still ride him at all?

M. Owen
May. 24, 2010, 09:26 PM
I am glad that the horse Valentine did well in the 3' section, she was beautiful and they had a great round.

anthem35
May. 26, 2010, 03:06 PM
How is he with that type of thing? Seems from what I have heard about him, he is a pretty versatile guy!! You have a gem there. Do you still ride him at all?

Hi!!! He did great! He got knocked out of the top 10 at the very end....It was actually his first hunter derby, guess he liked it!

I do ride him, I leased him over the winter as my trainer goes to FL, and to be honest, I don't care much for the cold...I qualified for what I want to show in, and will get back on Teddy around August...in the meantimje, I'm riding random/various/anything that comes my way! ;) and Teddy is with my friend Faith, who is doing a great job with him!!!

Silk
May. 26, 2010, 05:26 PM
Hi!!! He did great! He got knocked out of the top 10 at the very end....It was actually his first hunter derby, guess he liked it!

I do ride him, I leased him over the winter as my trainer goes to FL, and to be honest, I don't care much for the cold...I qualified for what I want to show in, and will get back on Teddy around August...in the meantimje, I'm riding random/various/anything that comes my way! ;) and Teddy is with my friend Faith, who is doing a great job with him!!!

He is cute...looks like a big version of my welsh:) I have to get kid and ony back to your trainer for a tune-up. Unfortunately, pony suffered a soft tissue injury and is just starting back to light work, which put us way behind schedule this season:(

anthem35
May. 27, 2010, 12:08 PM
He is cute...looks like a big version of my welsh:) I have to get kid and ony back to your trainer for a tune-up. Unfortunately, pony suffered a soft tissue injury and is just starting back to light work, which put us way behind schedule this season:(

HAHA! I'm sure..Ted does looks like a 'big pony'!!

Sorry to hear about Pony!! damned soft tissue...grrr..have had my share....