PDA

View Full Version : Happy trail ride

SonnysMom
May. 22, 2010, 06:07 PM
I just wanted to tell everyone how proud of my horse I am. I have taken him out on group trail rides and he has been great. I have only ridden him by himself a few times and it had not been so great.
Spooking at storm drains- they swallow horses ya know.
Would not cross a white painted line on the road and popped his hind boot off in the process so had to hop off and put it back on. I made him walk back and forth over it when I was unmounted. Not wanting to cross the bridge. Just generally balky.

Last night I took him out and he was great. He just kinda bananaed his body next the the storm drains instead of spooking and going halfway across the road.
He balked at the white line but went over with minimal encouragement needed.
After that he was nice and forward.

We encountered a GSD in the park that was off leash and Finnegan was fine. Dog would come up and retreat-multiple times but didn't come too close.
After we did the trail loop we came across the GSD again. This time doggie was braver and I just kept Finnegan kinda herding the dog back to the owner. I didn't want the dog to get behind Finnegan. He was just being curious and Finnegan has a kick in him. I could see Finnegan nailing the dog.

Both times the owner did catch the dog and put him on a leash. (And apologized)
This is a park that doesn't seem to be used much so I don't mind the dog being off leash. I do wish the owner had a better recall but the dog wasn't being aggressive- just curious.

This was a fun ride and I was out for about an hour and a quarter. We only got to walk trot as the trails will be fine in one area and then suddenly rocky. Once I get to know these trails there are areas I might be able to canter.

I was very proud of Finnegan especially with the dog. All and all a good fun night. He actually seemed to enjoy the ride too.

Zu Zu
May. 22, 2010, 08:11 PM
Good for you and Finnegan ~ sounds like a great ride !

lawndart
May. 23, 2010, 07:04 AM
:) Nothing like a good ride on a great horse. :winkgrin: Go Finnegan!

BTW, I've borrowed your 'banana' description, it fits my horse perfectly, when I want to go one way, and she wants to go another. :lol:

Snowdenfarm
May. 23, 2010, 12:27 PM
Good for you and Finnegan! Sounds like one of those rides that makes you fall in love with your horse all over again.