PDA

View Full Version : SmartPak Harwich Bridle

JumpWithPanache
May. 22, 2010, 06:06 PM
So who has them and how have they held up?

My mare really needs a Cob size bridle since her current Horse size just isn't quite right for her. TIA

JumpWithPanache
May. 23, 2010, 02:17 PM
Ummm... anyone? I know there were threads generically about the SmartPak bridles from several months ago, but those were mostly stating how nice they were out of the box. I'm just wondering how the Harwich bridle specifically has held up to regular use from those who've had them for several months. Thanks :)

Carolinadreamin'
May. 23, 2010, 04:17 PM
Love mine. Has held up well, looks great.

BeeHoney
May. 23, 2010, 10:42 PM
Buy one. I use one as a schooling bridle on 1-2 horses a day, it's holding up great and it looks nice. Leather is soft and comfortable. It does take several oilings to not have a sort of dry look, but the quality is superb for the price. The sizing seems good, I like how it doesn't have a too tight browband as so many of the hunter bridles do. I would feel comfortable showing in it, I just bought it as a schooling bridle b/c of the price.

justblu
May. 24, 2010, 12:06 AM
I bought one for my cob size young horse. The leather quality was nice and the construction very decent for the price. I'm still having to oil it frequently as it tends to look dry. I think I just need to put a thick coat on and leave it for a bit. I have no doubts that it will look nice and hold up well in the long run for a bridle in this price range. Now I just wish they would make a matching figure 8 in a cob size.

EventingJ
May. 24, 2010, 09:29 AM
I have the harwich bridle. I wish it came in a lighter color (i think lighter bridles look nicer on my mare) and I find the noseband to be a tad too big, so I have a little excess leather which is now curling and more noticeable (I don't have a good picture of it that I can find). I love the reins.. it did take several coats of oil, but since then it looks great - I do wipe it down occasionally, but not every ride. I think for the price the quality is great. I have 4? bridles now, none that are super fancy, but I think its my second favorite. I have a pessoa figure 8 I like a lot that wasn't very expensive either (less than $200 as i recall), but i think the harwich might hold up a little better in the long run for everyday use. I do like it MUCH better than the Thornhill bridle I have (dressage, I dont remember how much it was or what style)... and the other bridle I have was just a cheap one from a local tack store, which I like the Harwich much better than that one too :)

JumpWithPanache
May. 24, 2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks everyone! With critter #2 coming in who will definintely need a Horse size I'm looking seriously to get a Cob for my mare. The measurements SmartPak sent me for the browband is the same as Dover's horse size browbands, so it should fit nicely. So glad to hear that quality is good and will definitely oil it regularly during break in. Can't wait :)

akhunterrider
May. 24, 2010, 04:41 PM
I bought a Harwich bridle a few months ago and I'm very pleased. It is a pretty dark color of leather after a few coats of oil, but it very pretty. It is my schooling and show bridle. I think it can keep up with bridles 3 times it's cost.

superpony123
May. 24, 2010, 09:37 PM
i bought a harwich in the winter but unfortunately it was just a bit too wide for my horses dainty TB head. i sold it to a girl with a pony that had a dino head. it looks great on him. it's too bad i didnt have any use for it, it was a really fantastic bridle for the money and certainly comparable to more expensive brands. i def suggest it

JumpWithPanache
May. 24, 2010, 10:06 PM
Hmmm... well, I prefer padded bridles, so I'll have to see how it looks on my girl. If it's overpowering I'm sure I can trade it in for the plain raised. Thanks all! I'll have to post pics when I get it :)